Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

NOOOOOOOOOOOO (from The Age)

Bulldog Grant to bow out
    Michael Gleeson | October 2, 2007

WESTERN Bulldogs great Chris Grant is expected to announce his retirement tonight at the club's best and fairest function.

The 34-year-old veteran of 18 seasons and 341 games had been considering one last campaign in 2008 but is understood to have informed the Dogs yesterday of his decision to leave the game.

Grant was talked out of retiring at the end of 2006, in part because of the optimism generated about the teams' prospects by a return to finals football and a sixth-place finish. But having committed to 2007, he was injured and didn't play until round 13.

The two-time best-and-fairest winner and club games-record holder played just five matches in a season that was personally and collectively disappointing. He had groin surgery in April and the Dogs, who were 9-6 after 15 rounds, did not win a game in the last seven weeks of the season to slump to 13th.

Grant spoke about his future with Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade in the week before the club's last game of the season, against the Kangaroos, but later indicated that he needed more time to consider the possibility of playing into his 36th year. Grant turns 35 in December.

One of the club's most revered figures, Grant was a commanding key forward and defender in his pomp who was controversially denied a Brownlow Medal in 1997 when he was suspended for contact with Hawthorn's Nick Holland that was deemed unworthy of a report by the umpires in charge of the game.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOO (from The Age)

If it is true, then I believe he is making the correct decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'd prefer him to train right up to the draft to see if he does actually have the desire to play on however, if he knows it within his heart now that he can't go on then tonight is the best time to announce it.

I know this is a huge understatement but he's been just terrific for the club and I hope we can keep him around it in some capacity.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope this is true.

We all saw the tragedy of Darcy continuing when his body wasn't up to it. I hope Granty doesn't do the same. Fve games for 2007 should tell him that the body has had enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant is an interesting one, as he didn't have a lot of soft tissue injuries during the year, and played every game during the 2006 season. I think his body could quite possibly go around again, but at the same time, I think it's the right decision. Chris has been a champion player for so long, his body is starting to slow down and it would be a shame for him to really struggle to make an impact this coming season if he decided to play on.

Wish him all the best with his retirement if that is his plan, and I'm sure it won't be the last we'll see of Chris around the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    I really hope this is true.

We all saw the tragedy of Darcy continuing when his body wasn't up to it. I hope Granty doesn't do the same. Fve games for 2007 should tell him that the body has had enough.
    What they said.

He's had a magnificent tour of duty, but it's over.

One Darcy is enough for now.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Please stop with the comparisons of Darcy and Granty.

Darc was clearly shot after being out of the game for 2 years. It was clear from his 1st couple of games that he was going to struggle.

In the games that Granty played this year, he showed enough to suggest that he could go on next year.

I am shattered that he is going to retire. If we were to have any chance to turn things around next year, we needed his leadership. We needed to have him in the backline, showing the way for Andrejs, Tommy & any other new recruits to the backline. They certainly aren't going to get it from Shaggy or Brian Harris.

I have kept clinging to the hope that we may have been able to turn things around next year, like Geelong this year, and I know he is only 1 player, but he is best bulldog player to ever play in my time of watching football, and I think his lose will be greater than some of you suggest.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

I've waivered on this but was talking to a friend last night and the penny just dropped for me - its over, the club will always be bigger than the individual - the club needs to move on, the grant, darcy, west, johnson, smith combination are not going to take us to the promised land that we hoped they would and we need to find players who can.

Chris has given everything he has to the club, and its sad that its over but he has given us everything he had, we have loved him in return, and he will always be a bulldog champion.

Post Thanks / Like

Im still comming to terms with Chrissy not being there again but the decision is the right one.

Im now regretting not getting tickets to the B&F.

macca028 Guest

How about how Grant played against port in about r13, if he can play like next year then the dogs still have a lot of use for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca028 View Post
    How about how Grant played against port in about r13, if he can play like next year then the dogs still have a lot of use for him.
    Yes, he played well when he was on...remind me again though - did he finish the game?

It is over. It sucks, but it is over. I am more upset that his last ever contest in a game of footy involved being beaten by Ben Holland...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he played well when he was on...remind me again though - did he finish the game?

It is over. It sucks, but it is over. I am more upset that his last ever contest in a game of footy involved being beaten by Ben Holland...
    And that his last ever possession went out on the full against StKilda.

Post Thanks / Like

Has this been confirmed?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Champion Player

This will hit home hard for the club & all supporters. That Port Adelaide game he played was truly sensational.. if only he had the chance to keep playing like that..

Woulda loved to see him get his 350th like Rob Harvey did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Has this been confirmed?

It was on Ch 10 news. Not a firm confirmation but they did say it was happening, no maybe, might or anything else about it.
    It's a shame but he's contributed more than almost anyone to this club and should be celebrated as such.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius