Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulldogs Museum

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs Museum

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    There was no cup in 54 it was just a flag back then
    There is a premiership cup for 1954 which used to live in the Bulldogs shop. Not sure where they have it at the moment…

Post Thanks / Like

The first Premiership Cup awarded to the winner of the Grand Final was presented in 1959. A while ago the AFL had Cups made for the years prior to 1959 and presented then retrospectively to the winning clubs. So we do have a '54 Cup, but it was made and presented decades after the 1954 Grand Final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    The first Premiership Cup awarded to the winner of the Grand Final was presented in 1959. A while ago the AFL had Cups made for the years prior to 1959 and presented then retrospectively to the winning clubs. So we do have a '54 Cup, but it was made and presented decades after the 1954 Grand Final.
    I see. So the premiership cup Charlie was holding was one that was specially made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    As many of you know, the club had cabinets for a museum built into the new development. Victoria University staff and students have been helping with the research and setting up of the Bulldogs Museum and the cabinets are now being set up.

I thought I'd share a few photos of the early stages. You can see it when you go the club, the cabinets line both sides of the corridoor on the right after you enter the building, along with some glorious paintings including I think the Team of the Century.

The photos in the posts below below are from my colleague, Associate Professor Rob Hess, who has been lucky enough to be the Bulldogs Historian in Residence this year.
    Looking forward to the opening of the new museum as it has been partly funded by my cousin who has donated a lot of money to the club over many years. My mothers name ( Ozzas Grandmother) Doreen Rowlands will appear in the museum as a tribute to her memory.A great jesture from my cousin.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    Looking forward to the opening of the new museum as it has been partly funded by my cousin who has donated a lot of money to the club over many years. My mothers name ( Ozzas Grandmother) Doreen Rowlands will appear in the museum as a tribute to her memory.A great jesture from my cousin.
    That is indeed great to hear. I'm sure many of us are passionate about preserving the history of our club, and your cousin's contribution is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I see. So the premiership cup Charlie was holding was one that was specially made.
    As has been explained, the premiership cup is a recent addition - it's still special though, and I enjoyed being able to hold it a few years ago when VU students were cataloging it. The premiership cup will be in one of the cabinets I think.

The club also still has the 1954 flag, though I'm not sure if that is also going to be in a cabinet (it's pretty big, and also fun to touch ).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post

The club also still has the 1954 flag, though I'm not sure if that is also going to be in a cabinet (it's pretty big, and also fun to touch ).
    Might be something to roll out if we make it to the big day and have the players touch it for luck in the change rooms, it might install how hard it is to get there and to grap ones oppertunies because it may take a long time to get back again.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Saw it today. Beautifully presented. A really solid addition to the Club and the experience of being at our home ground.

Post Thanks / Like

On leave from work, so I went over today and had a good look around. I must say I was very impressed at the displays, not only the obvious (the premiership cup) but also things like the old score cards, program's etc. the display of Neil Sachse' guernsey was terrific too. Loved the huge paintings.

On the way in, spoke to a gentleman (possibly a board member, as he was suited up!) who said they still have over 30 boxes of memorabilia to add. All in all, it's a great addition to our club.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a photo story on Photobucket (hope it works)

http://s739.photobucket.com/user/And...to/story/12535
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

Worked very well Andrew. Thanks for that.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 11-05-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Andrew, the museum does look impressive. If ever I get back to Melbourne I check it out.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

On leave from work, so I went over today and had a good look around. I must say I was very impressed at the displays, not only the obvious (the premiership cup) but also things like the old score cards, program's etc. the display of Neil Sachse' guernsey was terrific too. Loved the huge paintings.

On the way in, spoke to a gentleman (possibly a board member, as he was suited up!) who said they still have over 30 boxes of memorabilia to add. All in all, it's a great addition to our club.
    That alone made the trip worth it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the opening hours for Saturdays? I have looked on the club website but there's no mention of hours.

I emailed the club to ask & received a generic email saying they get lots of emails and cannot answer them all. The generic email also suggested I go on the website for any information I may need. Aaaarrrrggghh!!

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Does anyone know the opening hours for Saturdays? I have looked on the club website but there's no mention of hours.

I emailed the club to ask & received a generic email saying they get lots of emails and cannot answer them all. The generic email also suggested I go on the website for any information I may need. Aaaarrrrggghh!!

Thank you in advance.
    I would call the club Suz 32 on 1300 36 46 37.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably find that the opening hours would be the same for Bulldogs Central as the Museum is not manned.