Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richmond - The big improvers?

I really enjoy watching Richmond play - great team to watch, and plenty of exciting players. But I think they are still at least another year off being a really good side.

They would need to defend better - across the whole ground, to be a top 4 or top 6 team. They are always heavily scored against. Even when they win - it tends to be 130-110.

A great free flowing game style to watch - but they aren't tough enough or stingy enough yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they'll squeeze into the 8 next season.

I think they've done really well in the off season. I really like the addition of Chaplin in the backline, it was an area that needed work and they got a really good defender for virtually nothing. Knights is also a decent addition to the squad and cost them nothing. They added some experienced recycled players on the rookie list who extend their depth a little and kept their 3 top picks in this years draft in the process. I can't fault them in the off-season at all.

Anywhere from 6th - 9th is my prediction.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange team - their midfield looks fantastic on paper, but is less effective than they shoudl be on match day. I still think their backline looks a little suspect
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Strange team - their midfield looks fantastic on paper, but is less effective than they shoudl be on match day. I still think their backline looks a little suspect
    They're still thin there even with Chaplin. One of the key players go down and they'll find themselves in a spot of bother.

Post Thanks / Like

Midfield is great its the backline and forward line that are just not good enough. Just do not have enough depth and will crash and burn come finals.. Same as Carlton and Essendon imo.
    [B]I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Of all the recycled players (i.e: the ones that you would expect to contribute immediately) that they have picked up, only Chaplin is worthwhile. Any improvement that they are to see is directly linked to how much improvement they can get out of their young midfield, which has to have some serious maturity issues to it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm changing to Richmond because i want to watch finals football

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    I'm changing to Richmond because i want to watch finals football
    Don't worry M.R.M will be playing finals again soon. Richmond in the past 30 years haven't played in that many final series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Don't worry M.R.M will be playing finals again soon. Richmond in the past 30 years haven't played in that many final series.
    I think that was a play on words of the infamous Judas quote.

But I'd like to think you're right ED. Finals again sooner rather than later.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Stache, what exactly do you mean by that? How does it manifest?
    When you've had very little success such as they have you can develop a culture of celebrating small short term wins rather than considering where that victory sits in the greater scheme of things. In the Richmond example, if they were to beat Carlton in round 1 rather than using it as an affirmation they're on the right track and building on it, they're inclined to get so caught up in the celebration that they'll go out and lose the next 2 games to cellar dwellers and kill the moment they'd built.

Post Thanks / Like

Ninth would fill me with joy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Their backline is pretty dependent on Chaplin - Im unsure Griffiths ever emerge as a real player

They have been developing nicely but need a few more to step up. Cotchin is an exquisite footballing talent, dynamic, line breaking, penetrating by foot. Martin when going is an explosive game breaker but lacks consistency.

Its a big year for them no doubt about it

Is Williams a good get for them as an assistant?

Post Thanks / Like

Certainty to make the 8, piss easy draw. Wont do anything in the finals.

Carlton of 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Gee the fans are talking it up.
    But then again they get chatty often this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ninth would fill me with joy.
    I'm with you but I have to concede they've developed a nice list with a midfield that threatens to become the best in the AFL. Their depth is improving each year and I think Chaplin is a huge get for them. I expect them to finish in the bottom four of the eight.

I hope I'm wrong. I envisage a sea of duffle coats (with Woosha Welsh on the back) being brought out of mothballs as the tiger faithful find their voice again.