Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Davo066 Guest

Charlie Sutton Medal

Hi all - Who will win the Charlie Sutton medal tonight Brian Harris ,Brad Johnson , Scott West or Matthew Boyd ?
    Last edited by Davo066; 02-10-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling - i better get a dictionary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charlie Sutton Medal

Quote Originally Posted by Davo066 View Post
    Hi all - Who will win the Charlie Sutton medal tonight Brian Harris ,Brad Johnson , Scott West (98) or Matthew Boyd ?

I'm going with Matthew Boyd.

Post Thanks / Like

Harris for me. Welcome to Woof davo.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Davo066 Guest

Thanx for your welcome southerncross
    Last edited by Davo066; 02-10-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling mistake oops

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'm going with Matthew Boyd.
    Me also. I think he was our most consistent performer over the course of the season. Harris and Johnson will be his main competition, although both players had quite a few quiet weeks.

Davo066 Guest

I hear that Chris Grant will announce his retirement tonight also

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Davo066 View Post
    I hear that Chris Grant will announce his retirement tonight also
    Big chance. There is a thread on the Bulletin Board you might want to read.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

macca028 Guest

Harris should win

Post Thanks / Like

So, how was the night?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon#23 View Post
    So, how was the night?
    Bulldog Revolution will probably write us a report a sometime later today.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This will probably take me a few posts to do and it may not all come to me in my first attempts etc

I was a last minute call up for the Charles Sutton Medal last night. Like most supporters the last 8 weeks of the season left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, so I was interested to hear what would be said and just get a feel for the night. The vibe was nowhere near like last years B&F which was a celebration of a fine season. However some of that may be related to the fact that I did not consume anywhere near as much alcohol AND I didn't talk to any players. I was also wondering what the post event media conference was about given the Grant future conflicting speculation in MX and the Age, and was wondering if it was going to be a) major sponsor announcement, b) chris grants retirement, c) david smorgon stepping down.

David Smorgan took to the stage first and addressed the audience and stated how disappointing the season had been. He talked about how the club would post a 500,000 profit and the development and how the club was so different from when he arrived and really heading somewhere but had to get it right on the field. He paid tribute to Geelong and talked about how he had looked at the Geelong players quotes after the win, and he talked about the keywords that were used: committment, passion, sacrifice etc etc. He then drew particular attention to the comments by Matthew Scarlett, who he noted rarely spoke. I think the quote he talked about was how Scarlett had said: We didn't want to let each other down because we have done it too many times in the past. It's not going to happen at Geelong anymore". The real emphasis of Davids speech was that we can learn from our competitor down the road and we have to get it right on the field.

50 game milestone awards were presented to Dale Morris and Ryan Griffen, whilst Jordan McMahon, Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave? all received 100 game milestone momentos. Nathan Eagleton received a 200 game, whilst Jason Akermanis got a 250 game milestone momentos.

Coterie Group awards were presented (these are the ones I remember):
    Dale Morris and Shaun Higgins both won awards
    Both the Top Dogs and Westerners awards went to - Brad Johnson

Rocket was next to the stage to address the audience and said that clearly we were all disappointed with the season, and it was an unnacceptable finish. Given the events coming up with the draft and trade week etc Rocket didn't say anything profound about how we were going to play, players we were looking for at etc.

He told an analogy about a breakfast of bacon and eggs - he described the two key players in that breakfast - he said the chicken is involved, whilst the pig is committed.
    He said we have a lot of players who are involved but what we need is more players who are committed and that is the challenge to the players moving forward. Rocket spoke about how things could turn around quickly, and that Geelong proved that. He urged the supporters to not lose hope or stop believing. He did say more than this and I will probably remember more later. He also mentioned how he had enjoyed coaching the 3 retiring players even if for 3 years or 2 in the case of Monty. He also thanked them for their enomous contribution as he did Chris Bond who he announced was leaving to take an promotion at Fremantle.

The 3 retiring players in Darcy, Monty and Robbo were all presented to the audience and given framed Bulldog guernseys. They received standing ovation (s) and in what was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the evening all three spoke briefly about their time with the Dogs.

Monty spoke about how his journey was different and how thankful he was for the great opportunity that was originally provided to him by the Bulldogs originally (describing himself as being average height and slow) and that 4 years in, just when he was starting to feel like he was getting somewhere it was ripped away from him. He spoke about playing his prime years in another state for 6 years, and that the lesson he learnt there was one that Rocket had stolen his thunder earlier in the night - and that was that when he first started he was focused on getting a kick and playing well, but then he learnt that you have to do anything you can to get the team to win, because the only reason you play is to win premierships and if that isn't what you seek to do as a player then you shouldn't play. He stated that he was enormously appreciative of the opportunity the club had given him to come back and play with his best mates - and how retirement can be a difficult phase. He said how personally disappointing the season had been only playing in round 1 and that he was sick of being asked about it. He stated emphatically that he strongly believed the club owed him nothing and that HE owed the club everything. IMO Monty has coach written all over him.

Robbo managed to keep it together but was quite emotional - he thanked his family and wife. He thanked the club for providing him with the opportunity when things weren't looking good at Geelong. He said he probably never dreamed that he would play 10 years of AFL footy and was really proud to have done so for the club. He also thanked Rocket and the coaching staff for the opportunities provided. He said he will always support the club.

Darcy didn't speak for as long, I think he felt he had done a lot of speaking in the media about his retirement - he thanked his player sponsors and the club, and lamented the fact he had not been available more often to be coached by Rocket.

A montage of Robbo, Darcy and Monty was played on the big screen to Colin Hays Waiting for my real life to begin (the song, but not the footage is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tcRlHY-3Q). Whoever does these montages for the club does a brilliant job, as they feature highlights from the whole breadth of the players career. It certainly makes you nostalgic and you feel priveledged to have watch these players pull on the jumper. Robbos hanger against the Lions was well recieved - I felt sick watching Lukes knee buckle against Geelong, after seeing vision of a young colt Darcy dashing around the field.

IMO The funniest moment of the night belonged to Tom Williams who after being presented with the most promising award by Leon Cameron. Tom Williams took the microphone and given how everyone else, Boyd, Morris, Everitt etc had thanked their girlfriends for their support Tom quioped: I dont have a girlfriend to thank, but I'd like to thank my roomates for tidying up after me: Shaun, Ryan and Farren.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that B R

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific report BR. Many thanks.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that BR.

Can I just add that I dont like all the talk about what a disappointing season it was at the B&F night - I just hate all the navel gazing that surrounds it...I guess this is all part of the PR of being involved at AFL level, but honestly - I dont care if the Cats are a good example or if Pigs are more committed than chickens. What is said is simply not important - it is what is being done that counts. I guess to me the B&F is about celebrating the performances of individuals throughout a season - whether the team was able to meet expectations or otherwise. Making promises and commitments for the season ahead and lamenting opportunity lost? Well, you may as well be stamp collecting for all the good it will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your report BR.

Griffen had an interesting article a year or two ago in the Advertiser where he said of living with Tom Williams 'he does nothing, he just sits there'. I get the impression Tom would be a pretty lazy dude to live with.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.