Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: East Meets West Day

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I actually thought Goodes looked a bit heavy! I will concede I didn't stare at him (that'd be awkward!), and I've never seen him in person before.
    I may be wrong but personally taking Goodes is a wasted pick
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Time will tell. Been training the house down Macca said when I was talking to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Time will tell. Been training the house down Macca said when I was talking to him.
    They say that about all players, especially in January.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

It was pleasing to hear Macca saying today we would like to get our first win in the NAB cup as it is a very good hit out before the real stuff and we want that winning feeling again. Be great see the new recruits in action.

The Cowshed Guest

Surely Goodes can't play round 1 as he is a rookie?? Maybe the coach meant NAB Cup? Good luck to him but from a supporters point of view, he's a wasted pick anyway....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowshed View Post
    Surely Goodes can't play round 1 as he is a rookie?? Maybe the coach meant NAB Cup? Good luck to him but from a supporters point of view, he's a wasted pick anyway....
    He is 28. I wasn't too sure about him either as he hasn't played at AFL level and only from what I hear Williamstown in the VFL who I don't really watch that much.

The Cowshed Guest

It seems Goodes has earnt a spot as a rookie based on his ability to set a good example on the training track and off-field guidance.
    Personally, I would have preferred we went for some youngsters. I would not have renewed Alex Greenwood or Mark Austin as rookies. This would have freed up 3 rookie positions for other youngsters and we may have scored a decent player out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same.....but have since learned we have one place on the main list still vacant and Goodes is likely to be the rookie elevated.

As for whether he is a wasted pick...only time will tell. I can understand the logic of his selection however. We are now a very young side. We have just traded our best key defender. Our next best defender is coming back after 12 months off and is no certainty to be successful. The coach has declared that two other regular defenders, Tom Williams and Bob Murphy will be playing forward this season. Is it therefore understandable that the coach would see value in a player who has played a lot of relatively high level football, has a strong body, has good disposal skills and is a good teacher of young players. I'm comfortable with him being drafted considering where our team is at this point in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    He was always a bit pudgy when he played in the VFL. He's lost a fair bit of weight.

Thought Roughy looked noticeably stronger in the legs. Greenwood has really beefed up and Higgins looked very lean. Morris looked fantastic and Cooney looked like as fit as I can recall.
    I thought they all looked very lean. Goodes has lost a lot of weight compared to his VFL figure last year.

I definitely think the players are looking much leaner and less bulky than previous years, and especially last year. Not sure if it's just the WB or all clubs shifting this way.

Cooney is certainly looking fitter, as he should as he had done next to nothing this time last year. Not worried about his skinny legs, I think that's just his genetics.

Ayce Cordy is the one I think hasn't changed much. Still has very little shape to his frame.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same.....but have since learned we have one place on the main list still vacant and Goodes is likely to be the rookie elevated.

As for whether he is a wasted pick...only time will tell. I can understand the logic of his selection however. We are now a very young side. We have just traded our best key defender. Our next best defender is coming back after 12 months off and is no certainty to be successful. The coach has declared that two other regular defenders, Tom Williams and Bob Murphy will be playing forward this season. Is it therefore understandable that the coach would see value in a player who has played a lot of relatively high level football, has a strong body, has good disposal skills and is a good teacher of young players. I'm comfortable with him being drafted considering where our team is at this point in time.
    I agree, until our youngsters get to that 50- 60 game mark they need a bit of leadership down back and Goodes can offer that and he get to tell his brother your not the only one to make it at AFL level at the family BBQ.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where BAD is coming from, as there's probably scope to develop a younger player into the role Goodes is likely to play and sacrifice short term performance.

What you've posted is certainly a good counter argument to it however, and I think that after our deplorable performances in the second half of last year which did have an affect on attendances the club needs to be mindful of playing a side that isn't competitive for the sake of pure development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I thought they all looked very lean. Goodes has lost a lot of weight compared to his VFL figure last year.

I definitely think the players are looking much leaner and less bulky than previous years, and especially last year. Not sure if it's just the WB or all clubs shifting this way.

Cooney is certainly looking fitter, as he should as he had done next to nothing this time last year. Not worried about his skinny legs, I think that's just his genetics.

Ayce Cordy is the one I think hasn't changed much. Still has very little shape to his frame.
    The mantra throughout the last preseason from Macca was all about giving the playing group big arses and strong legs. Basically strength was key, and repeat effort endurance and aerobic capacity was set aside. Everything from the club this year has been about running harder.

Up close and personal there's not too many AFL players that are monsters anymore. They look like they are on TV, because umpires are tiny and all of the players are relatively speaking the same size as eachother, with on or two outliers in each team.

Probably since around 2007-2008 AFL players have gotten leaner and smaller in the upper body, with a focus on building up core strength and power through the legs.

Post Thanks / Like

There is one spot on the main list open and I think it might be a battle between Goodes and Austin for it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather have Goodes on a rookie spot with the potential of being upgraded than having say Skinner still on the list.
    I can't see how Goodes as a rookie can be seen as a waste.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are wrong, BAD.
    That Goodes hasn't made his way on to a list before now is one of those inexplicable things that happen in footy (Podsiadly, Barlow et al). Now that he has the opportunity, he will show that he deserves it. The man is an animal, very skilful, but hard as nails, and he will not give up; he is the archetypal 'Macca' footballer. He will play round one, if fit, and Aussie will have to wait again.