Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When will the pain of 1997 go away?

Still haunts me to this day. I remember standing in the southern Stand on the final siren feeling empty and almost out of body and surreal. So many what ifs from that last quarter just keep niggling me, imagine being one of the players!

But it was a couple of decades ago, even not in this millennium. Will it take a premiership to finally get over it. I'm not sure if it will ever go away...

Is there anyone else still stuck back in time?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When will the pain of 1997 go away?

Yes was there and as fate would have it surrounded by Crows supporters, who were quiet for most of the match. At three quarter time one of them said that we have it won. I said the obvious, ain't done til it's done, but said it really for not daring to feel we were in the grandfinal yet. All through the last quarter it seemed unreal, wrong, surreal. At the siren I felt violated, like we were a victim of a natural disaster like a bushfire or a drowning, as you say like an out of body experience because one needed to leave the 'body' because it was too much with which to deal.
    I don't think anybody who lived through it will ever recover unless we win a preliminary final by coming from behind and go on to win the grand like surely we would have against St Kilda. The state of things atm, with a team that is not yet on the rise, only accentuates the tragedy.
    I have never seen the replay, but the images of Chris Grant trying desperately to jam his foot on the ball to get a goal, Mark West running into space on the forward line and spraying the kick, Nigel Smart with his nude nut running off half back and delivering it long into the forward line, Libba's goal disallowed, the ball landing in Jarman's hands and worst of all their idiotic team song blasting out under the stands of the MCG burnt a hole in my heart.
    Such is life. We can only accept and move forward.
    If and when, we will celebrate like no other team can.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably speak for most SA based supporters, when I die! Other than that, beating them in a prelim or grand final or stealing Dangerfield would suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still trying to get over 1985
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was pretty young that day in '97, but 2009 will definitely stick in my mind for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

When we win a premiership.

If you haven't yet watch the game again. It surprisingly helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    When we win a premiership.

If you haven't yet watch the game again. It surprisingly helps.
    Watched the last quarter a few years ago - BIDS54 picked a fair few moments from that quarter, but something I'd forgotten was James Cook missing a total sitter 30 out that would've put us nearly 5 goals up early on.

Was 19 that day - was 31 in 09, I reckon that one hurts a little more today
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: When will the pain of 1997 go away?

The doctors say i will be able to go home soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Is there anyone else still stuck back in time?
    Hell yes. This 'what if' will never go away.

Thank god I have Chelsea or I would be one bitter arsehole when it comes to footy.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Never ever.

That is the one thing I hate about spectator sports - as a fan you have ZERO influence on the outcome of the game but TOTAL emotional involvement. The pain of losing far outweighs the euphoria of winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I was pretty young that day in '97, but 2009 will definitely stick in my mind for a while.
    2009 was horrible. I remember walking out of the MCG with my brother, both dogs supporters since we were 4 or 5. he was white as a sheet, i was actually quite worried about him..I thought, 'this guy is so upset, he could do anything' . I dont like to think about it really.

Post Thanks / Like

Likewise

Post Thanks / Like

I was pretty young too, but '97 hurt a lot more than 2009 for me. I felt if we made the GF in '97 we'd beat St Kilda easily to win the flag. In 2009 I felt if we could hang on and snatch the victory we'd get a Hawthorn 2008 Qualifying final style belting from Geelong the next week, so it softened the pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Jarman was actually really good that day. Reiwoldt dived, thats why one loss hurts more than the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I don't think anybody who lived through it will ever recover unless we win a preliminary final by coming from behind and go on to win the grand like surely we would have against St Kilda.
    It is almost that bad isn't it? It won't be enough to win a premiership, we'd have to rip the heart out of another club doing it to get over '97.