Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When will the pain of 1997 go away?

the difference between that PF and the 09 PF is where we came from that year cellar dwellers and just ridding the wave that year was a special year for me
    Because you cant beat the boys of the BULLDOG breed!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I think about the pain of 2009 before 1997. I thought we looked as much winners in that game as in 1997 and were just as cruelly dealt umpiring decisions which cost us.
    Same here. 97 was one dodgy decision. 09 was systematic corruption for the entire game!

The following day's paper, taking up a whole page with the AFL trying to justify all the biased decisions added further weight and doubt as to the legitimacy of that game!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
    the difference between that PF and the 09 PF is where we came from that year cellar dwellers and just ridding the wave that year was a special year for me
    I think in our heads with almost 5 goals up at 3/4 time, we thought it was in the bag and that is what makes it so hard to take. 09 it was a goal in it all night and anyone could have won.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think in our heads with almost 5 goals up at 3/4 time, we thought it was in the bag and that is what makes it so hard to take. 09 it was a goal in it all night and anyone could have won.
    I don't see why one has to be worse than the other. 1997 I was devastated. Totally and emotionally drained. I couldn't even enjoy any aspect of 1998 or 99, I was still in mourning. And then I think forward to 2009, on my knees in the cheer squad with tears streaming down my cheeks actually willing Riewoldt to kick that last goal, as I just didn't want to lose by a point.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to get the feeling we have been hacked into by an Essendon supporter, after a great end to the season and a very positive recruiting and draft period this seems to be an odd thing to be going over.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    The pain will go for me once we have more flags than the cows.
    Yep, as a South Aussie, this is the only way I'll ever get over it. It would be better too if at least 2 flags came about after beating the Crows in a prelim or the GF.

Post Thanks / Like

In some ways I was lucky as I was travelling through outback Australia with a total media ban on football for the whole business end of the finals series. I was having a great time until we drove into Port Augusta just after the grand final to see Crows flags everywhere, I knew then that I wouldn't be watching any of the finals games I had organised by friends to tape while I was away.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Shop Early Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I don't know why I'm doing this, maybe still suffering post traumatic stress disorder?

I got to 53 seconds, that's all. Good luck if anyone can go the journey.

I made it to 8 seconds. Thought I'd do better than that after all this time! Can't watch any of it and don't want to think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

2009 hurts me just as badly as 1997.

WBFC4FFC sums it up perfectly. There was a clear bias in the game in 2009, and it's the only game I can keep a straight face in claiming we were royally screwed by the officiating of the game.

There's been nothing like it in a preliminary final before or since. It was a one-off show of absolute horse shit that we wore the brunt of. Completely shameful.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the Stkilda radio cheer squad SEN even thought we were royally screwed.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did I watch that.

Vicious.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not a member on 1997 however listened to bits on the radio at the time. Joined up the year after though. I have never been able to watch it, never wanted to. Only saw the goal from Libba on highlights that night (the one that should have been a goal - thank to poster who confirme it definitely was. Gawd it still makes me livid to think the Dogs & their Loyal Supporters, some loyal since '54, others since, were robbed).

I was a member in '08 though and was thoroughly sullen for a few few weeks after. Could not/will not watch the replay - ever.

Nothing will ever totally erase the pain of prelim. losses in 90's & 00's for me.

However WHEN we win the Granny I will be able to celebrate big time with loyal Dogs Supporters and I'll be so happy the curse is lifted !! (And I'm not even superstitious).

GO DOGS !!!
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.