Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When will the pain of 1997 go away?

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Went out that night for a friends birthday and every time someone mentioned the game I'd cry all over again. My husband (boyfriend at the time) couldn't believe how affected I was and in the end told everyone not to mention it.

My poor cousin had her 21st that day in a hall in Yarraville. Pretty much my whole family barracks for the bulldogs and nearly everyone there had come straight from the MCG. I can remember saying to my mum at about 6.30 pm "Look I think we'll get going" She shot me a look and said "sit down in your *!*!*!*!ing chair-you're going nowhere" We waited for another 15 minutes and left without telling anyone.

I can remember walking down Williamstown rd and every house had a "Go Bulldogs" poster or sign in the window. Me and my girlfriend at the time (who did end up becoming Mrs Twodogs but we are divorced now) said to me "This is tragic. It's like one of those German existentialist films from the '30s"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I'm over it. Never think about it. BRING ON 2013.
    Great attitude GD. Lets bring on the new season. We should look forwards and not too much back as it brings back pain for us Bulldog supporters. My pain was 08,09 and 10 as I started supporting the Doggies in 2001.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm over it. Never think about it. BRING ON 2013.
    How old were you in 97?

I don't understand how a supporter could watch that game and get over it and never think about it. It's the biggest 'what if' in my life.
    Last edited by chef; 07-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    How old were you in 97?
    He wasn't born
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

97 was just horrible... Will never ever forget that.

I think I'm more shattered about the 2009 QF rather than the PF.. Going into that QF i was certain we would roll Geelong. We were primed and ready to go. Then we just folded.. Only to decide too turn it on in the last quarter when the horse had bolted.

Post Thanks / Like

How old were you in 97?

I don't understand how a supporter could watch that game and get over it and never think about it. It's the biggest 'what if' in my life.
    Perhaps some just view the game differently to others?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    97 was just horrible... Will never ever forget that.

I think I'm more shattered about the 2009 QF rather than the PF.. Going into that QF i was certain we would roll Geelong. We were primed and ready to go. Then we just folded.. Only to decide too turn it on in the last quarter when the horse had bolted.
    Agree with the 2009 Qualifying Final as being terrible, and the most disappointing of our finals performances of 2008-2010. Geelong were ripe for the picking and we severely let ourselves down. It doesn't hurt as much as the prelim of that year though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Agree with the 2009 Qualifying Final as being terrible, and the most disappointing of our finals performances of 2008-2010. Geelong were ripe for the picking and we severely let ourselves down. It doesn't hurt as much as the prelim of that year though.
    2009 PF we were playing well enough to win it. Riewoldt in the end won it for them and you can argue all you like whether it was touched. Who knows what would of happened if it was a point. 2008 PF we played well but kicked ourselves out of it. We failed at the QF's and those are important to win to get the week off.

Post Thanks / Like

I was 23, 97 was a horrific event, being in Adelaide with a room full of cows, bets on all round, in the end I was just stunned beyond reasoning at the time and commenced a record bender, looking back over the years, time and again thinking what a turning point in history that would have been has been brutal reality. 2009 was probably the angriest i have been after any sporting match, i picked up the flat screen to hurl it from the balcony but managed to find the composure to put it down.

We would have beaten saints in 97 but not the cats in 09.

I will resolve to forget all when we get a flag. That's what we are here for and I think we are moving in the right direction, I think we are taking the long road but the stronger route.

Post Thanks / Like

How old were you in 97?

I have to admit, I only became a serious fan after seeing the Year of the Dog doco. I was living in the West before that, and started to support, but went OS. I was travelling, and internet was not around to follow the game so closely then. So, I can respect how gutted long time fans must have felt. It takes guts to follow a small club like ours. Especially if you lived through the hard years as a kid. People are always rubbing it in. I live in Geelong!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, I only became a serious fan after seeing the Year of the Dog doco. I was living in the West before that, and started to support, but went OS. I was travelling, and internet was not around to follow the game so closely then. So, I can respect how gutted long time fans must have felt. It takes guts to follow a small club like ours. Especially if you lived through the hard years as a kid. People are always rubbing it in. I live in Geelong!
    Fair enough mate.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Will never get over it, I still have the odd nightmare.

Walking out of the ground past the Crows fans was the most humiliating, frightening experience of my life to that point. I was 12 at the time and adult Crows fans unashamedly mocked me and my family as we walked out. Scarves waved in our faces, called all sorts of "F's" and "C's" my mum was crying, my Dad just totally stunned and listless. Then the spitting and beer came flying when my brother gave a bit of lip back. One fan grabbed my scarf around my neck and and was yelling all sorts of nonsense.

The feeling of being robbed has faded due to 09, but it was really 1997 that cemented this idea that we just arenit supposed to make it. That one way or another something ridiculous will intervene. Its like the Curse of the Bambino, or the Billy Goat in MLB.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have a huge mix of emotions whenever I see the footage... I went with a few family members who left at the very end whilst I sat in the stand wondering what could have been for ten minutes or so.

Five crows supporters gobbled off at me whilst I was sitting there...... I grabbed one by the throat and none of them wanted to take anything further.......

I still seeth typing this fifteen years later...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    I still have a huge mix of emotions whenever I see the footage... I went with a few family members who left at the very end whilst I sat in the stand wondering what could have been for ten minutes or so.

Five crows supporters gobbled off at me whilst I was sitting there...... I grabbed one by the throat and none of them wanted to take anything further.......

I still seeth typing this fifteen years later...
    Sympathise! I remember a very mouthy Adelaide mob too, it was so unnecessary how many of them behaved and it seems it happened to more than one of us. A loose acquaintance of mine actually decked a mouthy Adelaide yob in one of the ramps. I don't condone it all, but I can understand why he did it. Their venom made the day extra shite.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We blew it. We just blew it. We didn't take our chances but they did. The winner takes it all.

I often think of what might have been had 3 of our best players from that season been in the team, Southern, Dimmatina & Kolyniuk. All sitting in the stands. More ifs and buts!