Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When will the pain of 1997 go away?

I'm not watching it.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing but bad memories here.
    In answer to the heading - NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Mere mention of the year 1997 takes me to dark places.
    Two months later we had the disasterous World Cup qualifier loss

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    And 2 days later Chris Grant won the Brownlow, oh wait, no he didn't. A very dark weekend indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Yep, I was present at both and they were both mind-numbing experiences at the end of each game. Just sitting quietly in my seat at the MCG motionless, both times.

The Australia loss was particularly galling because we should have been 5 goals up at half time - Vidmar missed so many gilt-edged chances. But as with the Dogs, you just knew the Socceroos would not get to the holy grail as soon as Iran scored completely against the run of play. Sure enough 5 minutes later it was 2-2 and all over red rover.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not watching that video unless I see it with the first three quarters. Otherwise it's sadism. Meaning comes from context. You can't just look at that last quarter and think you understand the game and the subjective experience of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgot Suz that the Chris Grant Brownlow rip off was the same time, I can remember thinking after the prelim loss that Chris would win for sure, just to cap off the heartbreak. Sometimes I wish the club did not mean so much to me, then I think how sweet it will be WHEN the ultimate actually eventuates.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 16-01-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OldBulldog View Post
    I had forgot Suz that the Chris Grant Brownlow rip off was the same time, I can remember thinking after the prelim loss that Chris would win for sure, just to cap off the heartbreak. Sometimes I wish the ckub did not mean so much to me, then I think how sweet it will be WHEN the ultimate actually eventuates.
    Can I come over to your place and celebrate when it happens?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is actually making me feel a bit better about that whole awful weekend in 1997. To see so many others were so affected by it is comforting in a way. It also shows that I'm not the only one still not over it. Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Can I come over to your place and celebrate when it happens?
    For sure, I do not drink, but I think I will be pissed on adrenaline !

Post Thanks / Like

Found the Open Mike with Chris Grant this morning, didn't bother to think about '97 being shown, in slo mo. Why was Huddo running at the ball when Grant was a step closer and on a better line. His shepheard stops the Adelaide smother, the kick looked good too.

Ahhh.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Found the Open Mike with Chris Grant this morning, didn't bother to think about '97 being shown, in slo mo. Why was Huddo running at the ball when Grant was a step closer and on a better line. His shepheard stops the Adelaide smother, the kick looked good too.

Ahhh.
    Stop torchering yourself
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stop torchering yourself
    Tell me about it. I've finished watching it I'm split personality I think. I loved it and the man even more at the same time all I heard was Plough quitting, stolen brownlows, finals heart breaks inc 97 in slow mo, and heart ache most generally. But I think today I'll chose Granty love over AFL and outside hate! A seriously great person!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Tell me about it. I've finished watching it I'm split personality I think. I loved it and the man even more at the same time all I heard was Plough quitting, stolen brownlows, finals heart breaks inc 97 in slow mo, and heart ache most generally. But I think today I'll chose Granty love over AFL and outside hate! A seriously great person!
    BTW, how are you after your trip to the hospital? Hope you are feeling better.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    BTW, how are you after your trip to the hospital? Hope you are feeling better.
    Thanks mate, better than the last few trips, but still pretty big op and two weeks without woof at draft time nearly killed me too! Still too early to call success, but I'm home reliving 97 so I know I'm alive!