Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Conolly -wrong about unexciting Bulldogs

Writes Rohan in a recent article

"I can't see a lot to get hugely excited about with the Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide. I wouldn't be nearly as surprised to see Melbourne improve substantially on its measly four wins, the additions of Chris Dawes, Shannon Byrnes and David Rodan having the potential to make as pronounced a cultural impact as purely one on results."

Read more:

Naturally I am biased, but putting my supporting inclinations aside, I'd like to say Conolly has glossed over our trade period in a slightly offhanded way.

From the view of changes very likely to make an impact there have been some significant movements.

Stringer's highlights reel is quite enough to sate supporter's appetite that we chose well. He's good to go from 2013, and will no doubt draw a quality defender when he plays. The return of Morris, a cult hero, has been built up, with a telling double page spread in the Hun. Not surprising it doesn't rate a mention in TheAge; much underrated player ( owing to his playing style and role ) by those who think they are in the know. Adam Cooney with a full pre-season and better conditioning - if fit will make a very big difference to the side.

For fans only, there are other stories to get excited about: Jong and JJ upgrades, Brett Goodes, Lower, Stevens and the return of Liberatore. But putting my Bulldogs hat away again, maybe not much to get hugely excited about for outsiders from a distance if you look at the players as individuals. However, there's significant enough changes to playing staff in all age brackets and if it all fires at once, the potential for some upsets are there; I think even non-Dogs fans would have to agree.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 08-01-2013 at 12:34 AM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Conolly -wrong about unexciting Bulldogs

No he is right. Would be expecting 2014 to be a year of improvement in terms of wins.

Just need less fadeouts this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer to stay under the radar this year with low expectations, looking past 2013 there should be a lot to be excited about.

Post Thanks / Like

He's probably right.
    However I think he's got Stkilda all wrong.
    They've lost Goddard and all their good players are on a downward spiral.
    Melbourne might have a slight surge( they'd want to with their recruiting method)
    But long term, I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I see wrong with that snippet is the Melbourne will improve substantially. I just can't see it happening and think they'll be bottom 6 with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He's probably right.
    The way football is played these days negates alot of Riewoldt's influence as well - rotations stop him blowing his opponents up, and the zones mean he has less space to run into.

I expect the Saints to miss the 8, simply because other teams have gone past them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    No he is right. Would be expecting 2014 to be a year of improvement in terms of wins.

Just need less fadeouts this year.
    This ^^^

Macca says we will start to show improvement in the second half of the year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He's probably right.
    Melbourne might have a slight surge( they'd want to with their recruiting method)
    But long term, I'm not sure.
    Agree on St Kilda - from a longer term perspective, I feel they're behind us in the re-building phase.

Rohan's probably right - we can get excited about a few little things (like Stringer, fit Cooney etc) but whether these positives result in wins is at best debatable.

Looking forward to this season all the same.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to admit but I also agree with Conolly. We haven't done anything yet to be excited about apart from some recruiting, but so have 17 other teams. Everyone is excited about their draft prospects this time of year. Low expectations = little disappointment if you ask me.

I am however excited to see how our youngsters develop this year. I can't wait to see Stringer do his thang! I am also looking forward to seeing a beefed up J Grant after a solid pre-season in the gym, but I'm not holding my breath

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on 2000 posts The Pie Man!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I see where Rohan Connolly is coming from. We were a low scoring & dour team for much of 2012, can't see us becoming a high-scoring & free-flowing team this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

For fans only, there are other stories to get excited about: Jong and JJ upgrades, Brett Goodes, Lower, Stevens and the return of Liberatore. But putting my Bulldogs hat away again, maybe not much to get hugely excited about for outsiders from a distance if you look at the players as individuals. However, there's significant enough changes to playing staff in all age brackets and if it all fires at once, the potential for some upsets are there; I think even non-Dogs fans would have to agree.
    I thought Jong was still on the rookie list. Has he been upgraded?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Jong is still on the rookie list, only Campbell and JJ were upgraded as far as I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Nope. But we can play him Round 1 without an LTI if we want. We took an extra rookie at the expense of a Senior List spot so can upgrade a rookie at any time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Agree on St Kilda - from a longer term perspective, I feel they're behind us in the re-building phase.

Rohan's probably right - we can get excited about a few little things (like Stringer, fit Cooney etc) but whether these positives result in wins is at best debatable.

Looking forward to this season all the same.
    Stkilda haven't got a player left who they drafted or traded in 09.
    Pain coming their way you'd imagine