Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So what difference will Hudson make next season?

I'd say Hudson = #1, Minson/Skipper #2 and Street will only get a game if Hudson is injured.

Having Hudson number one, and throwing his body around in the centre, and then resting and having Will come on and do the same will do a lot for our team in the guts. It'll mean another big body in there constantly. I think it could be quite an advantage for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Given Eade's comments about Minson being tried as a forward, it would appear it would be Hudson no1, Skipper/Minson as a forward/no 2 ruck combo.

Street might get a few games against the giants, but 08 could be his last season at the kennel. Cordy drafted in 08, develops in 09, snags a few games in 2010

Post Thanks / Like

fingers cross Minson and skipper get some work on their leading and timing. I remember seeing Minson a couple of times in '06 sitting in the forward line square whlist we had the ball in the midfield, and not leading. He just sat there??? The bloke has this idea that he can take a contested mark ,but has yet fully developed the body like a brown or a lynch ( but they also had great timing and agility to push off opponents).

Does anyone know who is working on their forward line skills ? Maybe granty can teach them this in the preseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    fingers cross Minson and skipper get some work on their leading and timing. I remember seeing Minson a couple of times in '06 sitting in the forward line square whlist we had the ball in the midfield, and not leading. He just sat there??? The bloke has this idea that he can take a contested mark ,but has yet fully developed the body like a brown or a lynch ( but they also had great timing and agility to push off opponents).

Does anyone know who is working on their forward line skills ? Maybe granty can teach them this in the preseason.
    Skipper will be out of action for a few months with a broken foot, so he is probably going to miss some presason, depending on how serious it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Clearly Hudson will get first crack at the number 1 ruck spot, but I am not prepared to write off Street just yet. I am one of the few who rate his centre square work and believe he has the skills to be more useful around the ground than hes been previously. Basically I think he is more talented than he gets the credit for being.

Yes I expect to be lambasted for this - but Street is a good kick for goal for a guy his height and is coordinated - hes shown flashes of great skills. Clearly he is under the most pressure hes ever been in with his time with us and its up to him to respond.

BR, I am probably one of the few that agree with you about Street. If you have a look at some of his games last year, particlulary the final, he really got us going. He needs to work on his marking in the forward line and then he wil be useful after the centre bounce. He rarely misses set shots for goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    BR, I am probably one of the few that agree with you about Street. If you have a look at some of his games last year, particlulary the final, he really got us going. He needs to work on his marking in the forward line and then he wil be useful after the centre bounce. He rarely misses set shots for goals.
    He rarely gets shots at goal.

Get over him, he is a liability and the recruitment of Hudson spells the death knell for Street.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs chase Port's White
    05 October 2007 Herald Sun
    Michelangelo Rucci and Daryl Timms

PORT Adelaide key forward Damon White is the Western Bulldogs' new target in the AFL trade period, which starts on Monday.

But the Power last night declared the Bulldogs would have to make a significant offer before 24-year-old White is released from his contract, which extends to next season.

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade yesterday signalled his desire to trade for White after losing out on Adelaide's Ken McGregor, who has signed a new two-year deal at West Lakes.

"Damon White is on a list of about six or seven guys who at various stages we'll make some inquiries about," Eade said.

White has asked Port to consider him as a trade option.

But Power football operations manager Peter Rohde said the Bulldogs had made no attractive offer for White.

"We've made it clear we want Damon at Port Adelaide next year. If we get the right offer, we'll consider it. But so far nothing that can be regarded as the right offer has come to the table," Rohde said.

Port has interest in Western Bulldogs defender Jordan McMahon, who is out of contract and was drafted from SANFL club Glenelg as a first-round pick in 2000. But Eade says the 24-year-old will sign a new deal with the Bulldogs.

Up for trade at the Bulldogs is out-of-contract Sam Power, who has also asked to consider options at another club.

Eade suggested the Bulldogs would also do a deal for Adelaide ruckman Ben Hudson rather than simply wait for the pre-season draft in December, when they can claim the 28-year-old with the No. 4 pick.

This would take Hudson to Whitten Oval with no compensation for the Crows.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Crows must recruit better, says Ricciuto
    October 4, 2007 - 6:58PM

Retired Adelaide captain Mark Ricciuto says the Crows' recruiting staff will be under extreme pressure to do better in the forthcoming trade and draft periods as they battle to keep up with the likes of AFL premiers Geelong.

Ricciuto is adamant Adelaide have "no room for error" in their recruiting during the off-season and those beyond as they seek to replenish the squad from the current loss of Ricciuto, Ben Hudson and John Meesen.

Also affecting the Crows' thinking will be the none too distant departures of Tyson Edwards, Simon Goodwin, Andrew McLeod and Nathan Bassett - club stalwarts who are all on the wrong side of 30.

Ruckmen Hudson and Meesen have both walked out on the club in order to seek greener pastures in Melbourne, Hudson nominating the Western Bulldogs and Meesen looking to be traded to the Demons.

Acknowledging Hudson's integral role in the Crows' midfield in 2005 and 2007 - he missed 2006 due to a knee reconstruction - Ricciuto said it would be a "huge loss" to the Crows, particularly if they received nothing in return for him.

"I think over the next few years the club haven't got any room for error in their recruiting, so they need to do that very well, there's a bit of pressure on there," Ricciuto told AAP.

"It'll be a huge loss for Adelaide, losing Benny Hudson, especially if they don't get a lot for him.

"It's just going to put a huge amount of pressure on (Ivan) Maric, (Jon) Griffin, (Kurt) Tippett and (Rhett) Biglands.

"They've still got four ruckmen, Maric and Griffin are getting to the age where they need to start playing better footy, they improved this year, but Tippett's been unlucky with injury so there's a bit of pressure on those guys.

"Hopefully the club get something for Benny Hudson, but if he goes to the Bulldogs in the pre-season draft and they get nothing for him, it'll be a huge loss."

Also of concern to Ricciuto was Adelaide's skill level, which dropped away dramatically in 2007 following a club decision to ease off the pre-season training schedules of 2005 and 2006.

"Our skills were down for a majority of the year so I'd expect they do quite a bit of work on those over the summer," Ricciuto said.

"Perhaps they need to get a little more enjoyment back into it too."

Ricciuto concedes his life has been now less hectic since retiring from AFL football when the Crows were eliminated in the first week of the finals.

Thursday night's launch of his biography "Roo", at the Ricciuto-owned Alma Tavern, is set to hand him another round of autograph signings and promotional tours before he can get away from Adelaide for a long-awaited fishing sojourn.

Post Thanks / Like

For my money this is the key quote in the whole thing:

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    "Damon White is on a list of about six or seven guys who at various stages we'll make some inquiries about," Eade said.
    I dont think there is a huge desire to trade for White - I think he is exactly what Rocket says, on a list of guys they are going to inquire about and assess what it would take to get them.

Post Thanks / Like

How did skipper break his foot ? That is a damn pity, as I would've like to see skip get a big preseason under his belt and see how much of a crack he makes of it next year. I think Peter Streety will have a BIG preseason, knowing that he has to put in big time this year.

Post Thanks / Like

How did skipper break his foot ? That is a damn pity, as I would've like to see skip get a big preseason under his belt and see how much of a crack he makes of it next year. I think Peter Streety will have a BIG preseason, knowing that he has to put in big time this year.
    Im not sure how he broke his foot but it is bad luck for Skipper. With an extra ruckman likely to be at the Doglands next year and Minson coming back from some injuries he could have done with a full preseason

Post Thanks / Like

How did skipper break his foot ? That is a damn pity, as I would've like to see skip get a big preseason under his belt and see how much of a crack he makes of it next year.
    The last game against North is a possibility as he didn't reappear after chasing for 100m.

Post Thanks / Like

We will apparently be getting a guy who comes 6th in Adelaides B&F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    We will apparently be getting a guy who comes 6th in Adelaides B&F
    He will be a great fit for the Bulldogs, our terrible clearance rate vs his second efforts seems to lead to a happy union.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Jones just said on channel nine news that we have secured the Hudson trade. Mentioned it right at the end and said it had only happened moments ago.