Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rate a team in 2013: North Melbourne

I can still clearly remember just thinking WOW! as North took the Pies apart last year. Then they crept into the finals, then got blown away.

How do you rate their chances in 2013? A bottom 4 final 8 contender or pretenders?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a team in 2013: North Melbourne

I think they have a good list albeit I think they are light on for ruckman. Not sure if they are a genuine contender but I think they are vastly better than the pretender tag.

At their best they are a handful.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

8th-10th for mine.

I see Essendon and Carlton certainly going above them and have them on par with Richmond.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm firmly in the pretender camp, without the gift of 4 wins against GC and GWS they miss the finals in 2012 and every is talking about how they haven't improved yet again. The play an uncontested possession game that falls apart against physical contested styles (as seen in their final). If they get a good run with injuries and such they may sneak 8th and get another finals belting.

With their one paced midfield and average skills they should be playing a dour contested style of game, but for some reason Brad Scott (who I do not rate even slightly) seems to think handball happy is what will win big games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I'm firmly in the pretender camp, without the gift of 4 wins against GC and GWS they miss the finals in 2012 and every is talking about how they haven't improved yet again. The play an uncontested possession game that falls apart against physical contested styles (as seen in their final). If they get a good run with injuries and such they may sneak 8th and get another finals belting.

With their one paced midfield and average skills they should be playing a dour contested style of game, but for some reason Brad Scott (who I do not rate even slightly) seems to think handball happy is what will win big games.
    I tend to agree with that assessment, I really prefer Richmond as a better side at this stage.

North could still be improvers if a few of their 22 and under players step up, but I think they are still too reliant on too few and are very workmen like across most areas without enough genuine prime movers. As you point out, their game style was badly exposed in finals and its probably not something that can be remedied sufficiently over one summer.

I have them finishing between 9-12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    8th-10th for mine.

I see Essendon and Carlton certainly going above them and have them on par with Richmond.
    Can't see too much wrong with this statement. Although maybe even Richmond to go over them too. I feel dirty just saying that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Agree entirely. Didn't get many injuries last season either.The way they play doesn't win finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Will make the finals but not top four material
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think bottom of the 8, will surprise a couple on the way and then get belted.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom half of the 8, their final didn't do them justice as their young side simply ran out of legs. Showed a lot last year, would have finished 16-6 if they hadn't lost to us & Port. Going from easiest draw to second toughest draw though, which will test them.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Not good enough and had a soft draw last season. They beat collingwood, then again we nearly beat them with a rebuilding list + injuries so im not too suprised with that (even though they totally outplayed them in every way that game!)

Finishing 10th this year imo just behind richmond who will be, lets face it, 9th!
    [B]I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I tend to agree with that assessment, I really prefer Richmond as a better side at this stage.

North could still be improvers if a few of their 22 and under players step up, but I think they are still too reliant on too few and are very workmen like across most areas without enough genuine prime movers. As you point out, their game style was badly exposed in finals and its probably not something that can be remedied sufficiently over one summer.

I have them finishing between 9-12.
    Not completely, though it can be improved upon.

It would be interesting to see how much a slight shift away from free flowing and uncontested style would hamper their output on the scoreboard. I suppose they'd stop their opponents from scoring as readily as they managed to, but they'd also score less.

Getting the balance right for the Kangaroos is key, and I think they could easily take steps towards that over one preseason, especially now they know how to play effectively when things are on their terms.

Developing sides can't tick every box, all at once. It's up to the coaches to determine which aspect of the game can be ingrained most easily in the playing group, while they chip away at the others.

We were a pretty good example of a side that wasn't considered much other than a free scoring non-contested team, until part of 2008 and most of 2009. We managed to shift our style slightly in the preceding years, and when it counted we were only a few scoring shots or potentially personnel away from reaching a grand final.

If North can develop their ability to score when under pressure, and negate their opponents more effectively then I don't see why they won't improve. Their list is in reasonable shape at the moment, and even though their draw is a little tough I don't see them going backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Good assessment.

Personally I think they reached their peak toward the end of the home and away season last year. After they were exposed by Freo they were never the same. I dont rate Brad Scott-I think he got far too ahead of himself last year after a fairly soft draw, their midfield is a little one paced, they are too short in defence and their forwardline is inconsistant.

Might make the finals, but I doubt it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If Firrito and Thompson continue to get a game, they are going nowhere.

Greystache's assesment is spot on. Even down to the crtique of Brad Scott.

Anywhere between 7 - 12 for me.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

When they came out against us last season, I thought, we're in strife, as they all looked buff. They had beaten us in the NAB (albeit we fielded a weaker side ) and they looked fast through the corridor in Ballarat. In that mother's day clash later in the year, their back-line was pretty insipid. Thompson is about the only bloke you could kind of rate. In addition, not sure if they looked that able to run out a game. Soft draw made them look better than they are.
    Unless they fix their backline issues, can't see them moving far ahead; maybe a bit.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus