Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Macrae muscles in

Jackson Macrae has been on the Western Bulldogs list for less than two months but the determined 18-year-old has already added over five kilograms of muscle to his lean frame.

Improved fitness times and lower skinfolds also indicate the Bulldogs 2012 first round draft selection (pick 6 overall) is seeing pay off not only in the gym but out on the track, as he adapts to his new AFL lifestyle.

“[It’s] been really positive, putting on five or six kilos… and also improving in my fitness as well, so that has been really positive for me,” Macrae said.

“Hopefully I can keep pushing that weight up, up until the start of the season.”

Instead of relaxing throughout the Christmas break, Macrae got to work – following a comprehensive training schedule, handed out by the Bulldogs fitness staff.

“The strength and conditioning boys gave us a pretty hefty schedule… so every second day I was running and doing gym,” he said.

“I stuck to my program really well and skin folds were down and improved on the running from the pre-Christmas break so I was really, really happy with that.”

Now the easing-in period has ended, the polished midfielder has been given a more apt taste of pre-season training demands - with Senior Coach Brendan McCartney bringing more football skills and contested work into the daily training routine.

“Since we have returned, Mac has really stepped it up with the contested ball drills and the high intensity running is really incorporated in the drills,” Macrae said.

“All the bodies are responding really well and [I] haven’t missed a session to now… that has been good, so just keep fronting up and doing the best that you can do.”

While competing with the same physicality as Club veterans may be beyond him in his debut year, Macrae is not lacking in the competitive drive to win.

Regardless of who he is up against, the 18-year-old attacks each drill confident that if he exploits his assets, he is every chance to take another scalp.

“Growing up, the best advice I’ve ever had is just to back yourself… every drill I try to go in and you will be versing [Matthew] Boydy… but just back yourself and use your strengths to the best of your abilities and… give it a shot.”

LINK

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macrae muscles in

Great head on this young man, he's impressed me a lot already. Great to read he's adjusting to senior demands so well and the fact the load has been managed and as a result he hasn't missed a session is a strong endorsement of our new fitness and conditioning guys. Continuity with the young guys is crucial.

Post Thanks / Like

"Versing".... grrrr!! Sort that out, McCartney!

Seems a good kid.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

Seems a good kid.
    Just about everyone under the age of 20 uses that "word". Don't know how it crept in to the vernacular, but it really grates on me every time I hear it.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Just about everyone under the age of 20 uses that "word". Don't know how it crept in to the vernacular, but it really grates on me every time I hear it.
    Tell me about it. I hear it daily at work (school) and it drives me nuts.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Seems a good kid.
    Perhaps Macca has got them doing poetry drills as a new age form of cross-training
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Perhaps Macca has got them doing poetry drills as a new age form of cross-training
    Well, nothing would surprise me, I've heard a number of AFL players say it during interviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems a good kid.
    Is that like a rap battle?

Post Thanks / Like

Tell me about it. I hear it daily at work (school) and it drives me nuts.
    My daughter also.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised his frame is capable of putting on such a significant amount of weight, hopefully he can deal with that in regards to overall aerobic fitness, skill level etc.

Good to hear he is working his butt off
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more impressed by his attitude than the 5-6kg extra weight, as good as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I love preseason media. We have a champion team full of developing champions who will win the grand final, or at least that's how it feels. Then the season begins and well.......
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'm more impressed by his attitude than the 5-6kg extra weight, as good as it is.
    Seems all the new recruits have a great attitude - I am loving it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake Stringer is also dare I say it , training the house down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Jake Stringer is also dare I say it , training the house down.
    Why wouldn't you? The coach has made it easy for these guys — be competitive and go for broke and you'll get a game.