Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macrae muscles in

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Why wouldn't you? The coach has made it easy for these guys — be competitive and go for broke and you'll get a game.
    Not sure its easy, IMO the Coach has stated you get one crack and you do right by us we will do right by you.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Seems all the new recruits have a great attitude - I am loving it.
    We've stated that character was imperative as part of the recruiting process

I guess the positive of bringing in a whole group with great attitudes is that it can spread amongst the group and that they set and expect high standards of each other.

Now thats not to say that we haven't recruited great characters in the past, but I dont think the work ethics been where its needed to be for a while

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    We've stated that character was imperative as part of the recruiting process

I guess the positive of bringing in a whole group with great attitudes is that it can spread amongst the group and that they set and expect high standards of each other.

Now that's not to say that we haven't recruited great characters in the past, but I don't think the work ethics been where its needed to be for a while
    Do you know this for a fact?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    "Versing".... grrrr!! Sort that out, McCartney!

Seems a good kid.

It's one of the ways we invent new words/usages for the language Andrew. I love the fact that English is a growing, vibrant living beast. I'd hate us to have some sort of Academie francaise full of dusty old men and women telling us what we can and cant say.

Vive la versing!!!

My son started using versing as a verb about ten years ago as in "are we versing them or are they versing us?" meaning is it our home game or their home game? It took me a while to get used to it but when you think about it, it's the logical extension of 'versus'.

Anyway go Jackson!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's one of the ways we invent new words/usages for the language Andrew. I love the fact that English is a growing, vibrant living beast. I'd hate us to have some sort of Academie francaise full of dusty old men and women telling us what we can and cant say.
    Well reasoned. I completely disagree. I hate it, it came from kids not understanding how language works, and serves to illustrate their lack of knowledge (or disregard for) language. Before too long, there'll be widespread cases of Thripshaw's Disease:

My son started using versing as a verb about ten years ago as in "are we versing them or are they versing us?" meaning is it our home game or their home game? It took me a while to get used to it but when you think about it, it's the logical extension of 'versus'.
    Yes, that's how it came about. I've never become accustomed to it, and students in my school basketball teams, when giving reports, have the explicit instruction not to use it! The word versing has a completely different meaning to the intended. It is similar to "versus" in appearance only.

Anyway go Jackson!
    Yes, on that we agree!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post

Yes, that's how it came about. I've never become accustomed to it, and students in my school basketball teams, when giving reports, have the explicit instruction not to use it! The word versing has a completely different meaning to the intended. It is similar to "versus" in appearance only.

So let it be a homonym now. Problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Not sure its easy, IMO the Coach has stated you get one crack and you do right by us we will do right by you.
    I meant easy as in it's easy to figure out what the coach expects.

It doesn't need to be a proven fact, we're not a courtroom. You could merely point to a team of skinny runners with a reputation for going missing during periods of a game and draw your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So let it be a homonym now. Problem solved.
    Don't argue with a teacher on stuff like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    It doesn't need to be a proven fact, we're not a courtroom. You could merely point to a team of skinny runners with a reputation for going missing during periods of a game and draw your own conclusions.
    Those guys that got us to three prelims............... argh now I know what you are talking about.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Vive la versing!!!

Anyway go Jackson!
    "Vive la versing!!!" Twodogs, what kind of English is that, are you a Francophile? Are you an English language terrorist? You probably eat garlic (Simon look out). I have to agree with you but. The language is in the hands and mouth of the users, viva la revolution and sh**t. I suspect we hate the younger generations twist on the lingo because they want us to; they want to say the language is theirs and they think that's sick and sh**t.
    I'm expecting to put Jackson Macrae in my hero group of Griffen and Murphy, the clever, highly skilled players who can get away from desperate opposition and create play, prolétaire excellent and sh**t.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    "Vive la versing!!!" Twodogs, what kind of English is that, are you a Francophile? Are you an English language terrorist? You probably eat garlic (Simon look out). I have to agree with you but. The language is in the hands and mouth of the users, viva la revolution and sh**t. I suspect we hate the younger generations twist on the lingo because they want us to; they want to say the language is theirs and they think that's sick and sh**t.
    I'm expecting to put Jackson Macrae in my hero group of Griffen and Murphy, the clever, highly skilled players who can get away from desperate opposition and create play, prolétaire excellent and sh**t.

I celebrate Agincourt every year.

Vive la versing was just (nearly) an alliteration I couldnt resist.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Those guys that got us to three prelims............... argh now I know what you are talking about.
    And capitulated in two of them.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy those years, bloody oath I did, but a harder team is going to take us that game further.

Post Thanks / Like

No I dont, and its not a statement that I would make about the whole list, but we've had some draft classes where it doesn't seem as if the players have been the "Im going to do everything in my power to make it" types, i.e Everitt, Lynch, Stack Hill etc, and then the Grant, Ward, Reid, Boumann, OKeefe etc.

Obviously again the comment doesn't hold for every one of the players picked from those draft classes, but I think you get the drift.

Some players have the ability but not the drive - Lynch, Hill whilst others make every post a winner Harbrow, Dahlhaus.

Post Thanks / Like

Get your point BR, but a bit harsh on Ward and Reid.
    Reid (not through lack of effort)isn't up to it.
    Ward besides his last game,his effort and commitment were 1st class.
    $$$$
    We were good but not quite good enough in the Rocket era.
    Interesting times ahead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    No I dont, and its not a statement that I would make about the whole list, but we've had some draft classes where it doesn't seem as if the players have been the "Im going to do everything in my power to make it" types, i.e Everitt, Lynch, Stack Hill etc, and then the Grant, Ward, Reid, Boumann, OKeefe etc.

Obviously again the comment doesn't hold for every one of the players picked from those draft classes, but I think you get the drift.

Some players have the ability but not the drive - Lynch, Hill whilst others make every post a winner Harbrow, Dahlhaus.
    Interestingly the coach said almost exactly the same thing during the week. He was less than impressed with our recruiting in previous times and the lack of thoroughness around the attitude and willingness to get the best out of themselves of our recruits. That list above is pretty definitive proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Interestingly the coach said almost exactly the same thing during the week. He was less than impressed with our recruiting in previous times and the lack of thoroughness around the attitude and willingness to get the best out of themselves of our recruits. That list above is pretty definitive proof.
    Every team has a bunch of guys that don't make it.

When the current recruits get us into finals then I will agree we have picked the right guys. Having a go at the past recruiting methods is not very professional and not good form.