Don't forget Goddard!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macrae muscles in

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbites View Post
    Don't forget Goddard!
    Yes thanks forgot about him

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I can't follow any logic here.

Riewoldt was pick #1, Kozi was #2 and Ball was #2. We picked up Cooney #1, Griffen #3, Walsh and Ray #4. What has any of that got to do with "Saints also had the luxury of having all those number one draft picks."

Is your point they drafted better than us? Several people have posted they think our previous approach was poor, if was only you that questioned if they know for a fact that is was.
    Ok lets rephrase it all the luxury of number 1 and 2 picks.

5 players including Goddard. Happy now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes thanks forgot about him

Ok lets rephrase it all the luxury of number 1 and 2 picks.

5 players including Goddard. Happy now.
    Not really, 5 posts and I still can't work what the point of it all was other than St Kilda drafted decent players with their early picks and you don't think Bulldog Revolution has any proof our previous recruiting method wasn't flawed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Not really, 5 posts and I still can't work what the point of it all was other than St Kilda drafted decent players with their early picks and you don't think Bulldog Revolution has any proof our previous recruiting method wasn't flawed.
    Well without rehashing all the posts, I was objecting to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Now that's not to say that we haven't recruited great characters in the past, but I don't think the work ethics been where its needed to be for a while
    How can BR say the work ethic hasn't been where it should be? If we are talking under the old coach, then I say thats totally not correct. Yes there have been and there always will be players that don't work as hard as they should and they don't last, but a sweeping statement that seems to talk about the whole group is just not correct.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

How can BR say the work ethic hasn't been where it should be? If we are talking under the old coach, then I say thats totally not correct. Yes there have been and there always will be players that don't work as hard as they should and they don't last, but a sweeping statement that seems to talk about the whole group is just not correct.
    Maybe players like Grant, Everitt, Hill, Boumann and Lynch have painted that picture.
    I know I made numerous mentions of training sessions I attended where some of the playing group weren't working that hard on the track.

Thankfully we had guys like Cross, Johnson and Morris (too many others to mention) setting the standard but I remain convinced that a lot of our recruits fell short of having the right ethic.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Maybe players like Grant, Everitt, Hill, Boumann and Lynch have painted that picture.
    I know I made numerous mentions of training sessions I attended where some of the playing group weren't working that hard on the track.

Thankfully we had guys like Cross, Johnson and Morris (too many others to mention) setting the standard but I remain convinced that a lot of our recruits fell short of having the right ethic.
    as I said, there are always players that fall into that category, however, the way it was written by BR it was the whole group and magically now they are working very hard.

Post Thanks / Like

as I said, there are always players that fall into that category, however, the way it was written by BR it was the whole group and magically now they are working very hard.
    I think you should know BR from his time on this forum well enough not to make that assumption. I didn't read into his comments what you have.

While there always questions on some players commitments within any playing group, I like the idea of a coach demanding the recruiting and list managers focus on the right sort of character traits and ethic when we draft and recruit players.
    Over time, McCartney certainly won't be able to point the finger elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should know BR from his time on this forum well enough not to make that assumption. I didn't read into his comments what you have.

While there always questions on some players commitments within any playing group, I like the idea of a coach demanding the recruiting and list managers focus on the right sort of character traits and ethic when we draft and recruit players.
    Over time, McCartney certainly won't be able to point the finger elsewhere.
    That's fine time will tell and I don't disagree. However, we can't say the work ethic of the GROUP is now better than before.

AFL footballers have been full time athletes for some time and they are quickly found out if they don't work hard. We were a very competitive team up to 2010 and have since blooded a lot of new players including 10 in 2011, so we have been rebuilding for the past two years.

We didn't become competitive because our work ethic wasn't there.

Post Thanks / Like

However, we can't say the work ethic of the GROUP is now better than before.

AFL footballers have been full time athletes for some time and they are quickly found out if they don't work hard. We were a very competitive team up to 2010 and have since blooded a lot of new players including 10 in 2011. We didn't become competitive because our work ethic wasn't there.
    I'm not sure how you can say that. It was a very different list back then that had proven match winners like Hall, Johnson,Lake, Akermanis and others. It was also a very experienced list that could carry some lax kids.

Macca's list doesn't have the same number of star players and he and the recruiting team must make sure that every younger player we recruit has the right sort of work ethic and of course playing ability. I don't think he has any other choice as we just can't carry players that don't want to work.

In time the work ethic for the younger guys on the list has to be better than in previous season because we can't afford to carry them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how you can say that. It was a very different list back then that had proven match winners like Hall, Johnson,Lake, Akermanis and others. It was also a very experienced list that could carry some lax kids.

Macca's list doesn't have the same number of star players and he and the recruiting team must make sure that every younger player we recruit has the right sort of work ethic and of course playing ability. I don't think he has any other choice as we just can't carry players that don't want to work.

In time the work ethic for the younger guys on the list has to be better than in previous season because we can't afford to carry them.
    I think I made my points and you made yours and I will leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

So uh.... about that Macrae kid...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    So uh.... about that Macrae kid...
    Good to hear he's gained weight so quickly, looks very noticeable to me in the upper body. Not surprised he's looking tired as that extra weight he has to carry will do that.

Big fan, but I don't expect to see a heap of him this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they don't rush his development. Putting on 5kgs is all fine but if he gets an injury.....
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I hope they don't rush his development. Putting on 5kgs is all fine but if he gets an injury.....
    Based on some of the things Macc said in his presentation to the various membership groups a while back there is a fair chance that Macrae will lose half of the weight gain in the 2nd half of season as fatigue sets in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Good to hear he's gained weight so quickly, looks very noticeable to me in the upper body. Not surprised he's looking tired as that extra weight he has to carry will do that.

Big fan, but I don't expect to see a heap of him this year.
    I was initially worried about him gaining weight and thought we may have taken another Cale Morton type. But if buzz about him in this off season is to be believed and he keeps on this track, we may have picked ourselves a very good player.