Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Alvin

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Alvin

As a member in 1983, I received the Footscray newsletter at the end of the season. The lead article was that we'd recruited a potential star, Tom Alvin from our La Trobe Valley recruiting zone. First round 1984 he is wearing a dirty Carlton guernsey!!! The guernsey was clean.
    I assumed we must have had to a sell him to survive. However I just now got on a Carlton site (only in the name of educating a relative what a disgraceful club they are) which stated:

"By 1983, the 21 year-old (TomAlvin) had been tied to Footscray for a season or two, but when his contract lapsed, Carlton believed in his potential and offered him a second chance at a league football career. "

It's hard to reconcile this claim with my memory. Can anyone throw some light on what went on? How did we lose Tom Alvin?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Alvin

An article by Mick Malthouse who was our coach at the time:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...for-top-clubs/

But one player's name which still makes me cringe when I hear it is Tom Alvin. When I first arrived at Footscray in 1984, I read up about this young player we had down in our zone at Bairnsdale.

But all of a sudden, this kid Alvin had gone to Carlton and was no longer a Footscray player. The Blues had flexed their money muscle.

There were a few rumblings at our club and I was a bit naive in my first year as coach, so when I was warned not to make too much of a ripple because Carlton would challenge it in the courts, I let it go.

In the end, the Blues, because they had the money and the name, got a 218-game player and Footscray, who were struggling, got nothing. If I'd had another 12 months under my belt, let me tell you, I wouldn't have been turning my cheek.

Post Thanks / Like

The very reason I hate clubs like Carlton because they flout the rules and think they can do whatever they want by throwing money at it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The very reason I hate clubs like Carlton because they flout the rules and think they can do whatever they want by throwing money at it.
    Agreed, They make it easy don't they?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Agreed, They make it easy don't they?
    I once worked in a family company who are regarded in the top 10 or so of the BRW rich list. When they went off to visit one of their retail stores, they just parked in a no standing area as close as they could to the store, because they didn't care about paying the fines let alone the obstruction to other users of the road. Clubs like Carlton, just don't care about the integrity of the competition let alone the rules.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bulldog4life, that's the missing piece of the puzzle and interesting yet depressing reading it is too. Beating Carlton is going to be even more enjoyable knowing it. The Bulldogs must have felt like they had to kow tow to the league and that they were on the precipice to be stood over like that. We must have felt utterly unsupported by the league. Perhaps we felt if Carlton were to take it to court, this would create free agency and an environment in which we couldn't survive. Highway robbery and greed of the ugly kind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Thanks Bulldog4life, that's the missing piece of the puzzle and interesting yet depressing reading it is too. Beating Carlton is going to be even more enjoyable knowing it. The Bulldogs must have felt like they had to kow tow to the league and that they were on the precipice to be stood over like that. We must have felt utterly unsupported by the league. Perhaps we felt if Carlton were to take it to court, this would create free agency and an environment in which we couldn't survive. Highway robbery and greed of the ugly kind.
    We lost a lot of good players in the 70's and 80.s due to being poor and not being able to offer good money. example: Bernie Quinlan was transferred to Fitzroy ( for money) so we could pay off some debts.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there was a lot more to it, but as Mick doesn’t go into details, there’s nothing to jog the memory after so much time. Most of the facts are hazy other than that it was definitely dirty work courtesy of the usual suspects.

I have 3 three recollections of this matter but these may folk lore rather than fact.

They are of:

1 Our club sending someone down to see Tom and his family only to find that a reptilian blue bagger (is there any other sort?) had slithered under the back door and was interviewing them in complete contravention of the rules regarding zoned players, and one in whom we had we had already communicated a very real interest;

2 Tom being offered a swag full of money to refuse to come down to us; and

3 A considerable amount of money coming our way subsequently

The biggest affront to us is not that they got away with it, nor that even now they don’t admit to their dodgy methods, but that they rewrite history and on the one hand and present us as just being disinterested and incompetent while on the other they claim the high moral ground because by implication they were the opposite of both of those things.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope the season starts soon so we can start wallowing in present day injustices. Between this & the 97 prelim thread and discussions about 08-10, we're only missing a thread on the 61 GF to really make ourselves feel bad.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I hope the season starts soon so we can start wallowing in present day injustices. Between this & the 97 prelim thread and discussions about 08-10, we're only missing a thread on the 61 GF to really make ourselves feel bad.

Cheer up. 2013 is a premiership centenary for us:

Victorian Football Association

Season 1913

Final ladder

Footscray 14 4 0 155.3 56

North Melbourne 13 4 1 139.6 54

Essendon Association 13 5 0 119.4 52

Brunswick 12 5 1 132.4 50

Williamstown
    Prahran
    Brighton
    Port Melbourne
    Northcote
    Melbourne City

Finals matches

First Semi-Final

23/08/1913
    Footscray
    3-5
    4-3
    5-11
    7-13

Essendon Association
    0-1
    2-3
    6-3
    8-5
    Result: Footscray
    Venue: MCG
    Attendance: 13000

Gate: £331

Second Semi-Final

30/08/1913
    North Melbourne
    1-4
    3-8
    5-12
    8-16

Brunswick
    1-1
    3-2
    4-2
    4-2
    Result: North Melbourne

Venue: EMCG
    Attendance: 16000-17000

Grand Final

6/09/1913
    Footscray
    4-2
    7-10
    8-13
    10-14

North Melbourne
    3-4
    6-4
    10-6
    11-7
    Result: Footscray

Venue: EMCG
    Attendance: 20000
    Gate: £384

1913 premiers: Footscray

http://www.thegapchessclub.org.au/vfa/1913.htm

It's definitely an omen.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Post of the month! * fanfare and ticker tape*
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Post of the month! * fanfare and ticker tape*
    I understand the pain of being close and not getting there and the feeling that we'll never win a premiership, but rather than continually reliving pain it's time to own our identity & get on with it. Enjoy the ride, both the peaks and the valleys.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

There's still plenty of positive stuff on here. Sure the retrospective threads are a bit of a downer, but they also provide us with a place to vent amongst sympathetic listeners. It's all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton arrogant and conceited .
    They are corrupt

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the pain of being close and not getting there and the feeling that we'll never win a premiership, but rather than continually reliving pain it's time to own our identity & get on with it. Enjoy the ride, both the peaks and the valleys.
    I'm with you.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus