Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon under AFL investigation regarding 2012 fitness program

Well, regular trips to a clinic to receive treatment that aids recovery via an injection could be an example. Quickening recovery times allows players to do the things you regard as basic, but yet key more often. I'm not talking about getting juiced up here.

Whether the scenario I mentioned is fantasy right now, isn't really the point. I'm not qualified to assess that, and I suspect you're not either.

You're talking about the spirit of the game, or what attributes comprise competitive sport. So, if you're willing to explain to me what the issue with the above scenario would be, I'd appreciated it.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I see you've edited your original post. Let's leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. But the point still stands though that if it was legal, then all the clubs would do it and we would be back to a level playing field. Can't see the point.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

As a young person You wouldn't worry about it ( hey, if the club thinks its okay)
    As a parent I'm wondering why on earth someone who has no medical qualifications is sticking a needle in my sons stomach .
    Hird's condemned by his own words.
    "I'm responsible for decisions made at this football club"
    Regardless of the vigouress defence by "Hirdy's a great bloke " mates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Well, regular trips to a clinic to receive treatment that aids recovery via an injection could be an example. Quickening recovery times allows players to do the things you regard as basic, but yet key more often. I'm not talking about getting juiced up here.

Whether the scenario I mentioned is fantasy right now, isn't really the point. I'm not qualified to assess that, and I suspect you're not either.

You're talking about the spirit of the game, or what attributes comprise competitive sport. So, if you're willing to explain to me what the issue with the above scenario would be, I'd appreciated it.
    A lot of what the cyclists have been up to involves recovery. It doesn't help them ride faster, it helps them ride every day fresh as can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Fair enough. But the point still stands though that if it was legal, then all the clubs would do it and we would be back to a level playing field. Can't see the point.
    Do you know that each and every club isn't employing a similar tactic? Do you know that our club is completely clean?

TBH Ghotst Dog, you don't know anything. Just like me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    As a young person You wouldn't worry about it ( hey, if the club thinks its okay)
    As a parent I'm wondering why on earth someone who has no medical qualifications is sticking a needle in my sons stomach .
    Hird's condemned by his own words.
    "I'm responsible for decisions made at this football club"
    Regardless of the vigouress defence by "Hirdy's a great bloke " mates
    This is overly emotive.

I'd be very concerned if people without medical qualifications were pumping substances into anyone, trust me, you don't have to be a parent to know that's not cool.

I just don't see why under a controlled and professional setting, it can't be done succesfully.

Post Thanks / Like

This is overly emotive.

I'd be very concerned if people without medical qualifications were pumping substances into anyone, trust me, you don't have to be a parent to know that's not cool.

I just don't see why under a controlled and professional setting, it can't be done succesfully.
    If Essendon were pumping something into the players, you would think the medicos and football department staff are aware of it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know that each and every club isn't employing a similar tactic? Do you know that our club is completely clean?

TBH Ghotst Dog, you don't know anything. Just like me.
    (?) through to the keeper.

Take Cerebrolysin, for example. comes from pigs brains, not a banned substance, but not yet trialled or ok'ed for use in Australia.
    Yet you can get it on the internet easily. Not sure I would want my son to be injected with it, legal or not.

Sports science moves a few steps faster than the policing agencies and laws; it's a very murky area. The easiest way to prevent having to slap massive amounts of paperwork onto clubs and burden the code with more legislation is to put the responsibility for all this back in the hands of the club doctor.

BAS makes a good point with Cyclists and the use of drugs to assist recovery. Has not done their sport much good has it?
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 17-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    (?) through to the keeper.

Take Cerebrolysin, for example. comes from pigs brains, not a banned substance, but not yet trialled or ok'ed for use in Australia.
    Yet you can get it on the internet easily. Not sure I would want my son to be injected with it, legal or not.
    If it hasn't been OK'ed for use in Australia it is illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

This is overly emotive.

Did the doctors know? Have we got to a stage where we have to resort with sticking needles without knowing whether its legal or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    If it hasn't been OK'ed for use in Australia it is illegal.
    Absolutely, or so I would have thought. But there's a bunch of stuff in a sort of 'Grey area' of legislation. Stuff that's used for general health issues ( eg; aphrodisiacs ) that can theoretically be used to heal cartilage or stimulate growth.
    Not something a club doctor is going to muck around with, but a Sports Scientist might.

Post Thanks / Like

All football supporters should read Andrew Bolt's recent articles on the "drugs in sport" so-called scandal.

Interesting perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    All football supporters should read Andrew Bolt's recent articles on the "drugs in sport" so-called scandal.

Interesting perspective.

Bolt's perspective is slanted and he has an agenda.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

Interesting perspective.
    Usually I'd be an advocate of reading a wide range of perspectives and using them to form an informed opinion. But in this case Andrew Bolt is such an appalling *!*!*!*! I'd rather just sidestep his existence on the planet completely.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me