Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Boyd named Top Dog

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...-named-top-dog

Matthew Boyd will lead the Western Bulldogs into the 2013 AFL Premiership Season, with the 30-year-old this morning announced captain of the club.

Coming off a stellar 2012 season in which he was named the Bulldogs' best and fairest player for the third time in four years, Boyd will drive a new leadership model which steers away from the traditional 'leadership group' based on status and experience.

The new leadership structure at Whitten Oval aims at handing more responsibility, ownership and accountability to the club's younger and emerging players.

There will be no one directly underneath Boyd.

Boyd will lead the club for the third successive season after first being awarded the captaincy in 2011.

More to come…
    Not unexpected, except based on this there will be no leadership group as such.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd named Top Dog

Interesting, will await the "more to come" for a better explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we adopting the Hockeyroos model as well?

Link

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan, more of a traditionalist in that regard.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'm not a fan, more of a traditionalist in that regard.
    Don't agree or disagree with you. But wondered if you could expand a little.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Don't agree or disagree with you. But wondered if you could expand a little.
    I think there should be a captain and a small group of players supporting him. I would rather a player earn their stripes before being given a huge say in proceedings, and I believe the young pups should be lead by the senior players.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the young pups should be lead by the senior players.
    Don't you think this happens naturally? More often than not a younger player is going to look to the older more experienced players, whether or not they're in a leadership group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Don't you think this happens naturally? More often than not a younger player is going to look to the older more experienced players, whether or not they're in a leadership group.
    The model is designed to give all players a say in the direction of the club. They'll hold meetings where all players will be able to air their views. For mine, that's akin to handing the inmates the keys to the asylum.

Post Thanks / Like

The model is designed to give all players a say in the direction of the club. They'll hold meetings where all players will be able to air their views. For mine, that's akin to handing the inmates the keys to the asylum.
    I get what you are saying the last comment appears to be over the top.

Your not really comparing the players at the club making similar decisions to criminals at a prison are you?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get what you are saying the last comment appears to be over the top.

Your not really comparing the players at the club making similar decisions to criminals at a prison are you?
    Not really, just an expression.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really, just an expression.
    It's an expression I think that is used more towards immature people being given responsibility they aren't necessarily ready for. I don't think that is an issue for our senior guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's an expression I think that is used more towards immature people being given responsibility they aren't necessarily ready for. I don't think that is an issue for our senior guys.
    No, but certainly the Pups.

Post Thanks / Like

No, but certainly the Pups.
    But they aren't being handed the keys to the asylum. The younger guys will receive a lot of training and mentoring and it's not like they have full control.

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew, do think there's scope for our club to maybe try something different with its leadership program? Or do you think our leadership structue over very recent years has been successful?

One of the things that was identified in the wash up from the Liberatore issue last year was the psychological distance between our senior core and our younger core. Would a different, or less traditional approach to how we select leaders to run the club potentially help bridge that gap?

I'll await more detail before I dive in head first to an opinion, though I think from what I've read to this point having one captain leading the club, and allowing others to step up and put their case for future leadership forward could potentially be a good thing.

While we're an under-developed list right now, the club has taken measures in the off season to ensue there's a great deal of game day selection pressure amongst a group of players that will hopefully mature together and take the club forward. Transferring this pressure to the leadership of the club might make a few standout characters shine through over the next year or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Andrew, do think there's scope for our club to maybe try something different with its leadership program? Or do you think our leadership structue over very recent years has been successful?

One of the things that was identified in the wash up from the Liberatore issue last year was the psychological distance between our senior core and our younger core. Would a different, or less traditional approach to how we select leaders to run the club potentially help bridge that gap?

I'll await more detail before I dive in head first to an opinion, though I think from what I've read to this point having one captain leading the club, and allowing others to step up and put their case for future leadership forward could potentially be a good thing.

While we're an under-developed list right now, the club has taken measures in the off season to ensue there's a great deal of game day selection pressure amongst a group of players that will hopefully mature together and take the club forward. Transferring this pressure to the leadership of the club might make a few standout characters shine through over the next year or so.
    Master of restraint!
    I just admire the club for trying something different. In the military they say ' lead whenever you can'. Not sure how it will work exactly, but sounds on the face of it a good idea.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus