Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rate a team in 2013: Collingwood

Competitive last year, now they have lost Wellingham and Dawes, and gained Lynch and IIRC a couple of handy players returning from long term injuries.

Do they have Buckley's chance of winning the flag this year?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a team in 2013: Collingwood

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Pies win it. Very even across the park but the main concerns is if they got an injury to Jolly. Potent midfield is right up there with the better sides.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Top four once again with a pretty good line up all over the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Top 4 but just making up the numbers in the finals. They were successful due to their strong defensive structures and ability to burn teams when they turn the ball over, but the new coaching set up is trying to turn them into an all out attacking team that runs the ball through the corridor at all costs, and they are much weaker for it. They may make the prelim but I expect them to be routinely beaten by the better teams this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood are a difficult side to get a read on at the moment, hard to see them not making top 4 because they have a lot of high end, elite quality on the playing list but that being said, I think their depth is a lot thinner in reality than it gets credited as and a few injuries could easily derail their season.

Interesting comments on their game plan too GS. It's been very bold the way that Buckley has came in and really left his imprint on how he wants the side to play, changing a successful formula that perhaps only needed a bit of tweaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought they were the real winners in the pre- season.
    Got over the odds for Dawes ( hasn't touched it for 2 years)replaced with Lynch.
    Replaced Wellingham for a first rounder( win there)Young's a good pick up as well.
    Picked up the best young ruck at a steal. Top 4 and a big chance .
    Great list management replenished their list and will stay in flag mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Thought they were the real winners in the pre- season.
    Got over the odds for Dawes ( hasn't touched it for 2 years)replaced with Lynch.
    Replaced Wellingham for a first rounder( win there)Young's a good pick up as well.
    Picked up the best young ruck at a steal. Top 4 and a big chance .
    Great list management replenished their list and will stay in flag mode.
    Does seem that Lynch is seen as the Leigh Brown replacement, but still see them as vulnerable if Jolly doesn't stand up (and he has struggled with injury the last 2 years). They obviously recognise that themselves with the rookie listing of Hudson.

I believe Wellingham is a loss and Young is far more outside as a replacement. Daisy stuggling pre-season might also hurt.

Can't see where they have made ground on Sydney. See them as top 6 but not a premiership threat.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Does seem that Lynch is seen as the Leigh Brown replacement, but still see them as vulnerable if Jolly doesn't stand up (and he has struggled with injury the last 2 years). They obviously recognise that themselves with the rookie listing of Hudson.

I believe Wellingham is a loss and Young is far more outside as a replacement. Daisy stuggling pre-season might also hurt.

Can't see where they have made ground on Sydney. See them as top 6 but not a premiership threat.
    That's assuming Sydney will remain at the level they were last year.

I see Collingwood as a top 4 team, once there it's the team who has the healthy list and plays well/ has luck in the key moments because there isn't a whole lot that seperates the best teams.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Collingwood as one of the genuine contenders.

Plenty went wrong for them last year
    - Cloke had periods of ordinary form while he and the club dealt with his prolonged contract talks.
    - Didak missed most of the season. As did Ben Johnson
    - Luke Ball missed the entire season.
    - Swanny was playing up on the eve of the finals and was suspended by the club in rounds 21 & 22.
    - Krakour missed all but 4 games of the season.
    - Dawes was horribly out of form, and couldn't play second ruck - this year they have Q Lynch, who is no star, but is a better player than Dawes was last year - and can ruck.

And they made it to the Prelim, and were pretty competitive against the Premiers.

Would not be surprised at all if they made the Grand Final.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like saying anything about Collingwood unless it's bagging them.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I see Collingwood as one of the genuine contenders.

Plenty went wrong for them last year
    - Cloke had periods of ordinary form while he and the club dealt with his prolonged contract talks.
    - Didak missed most of the season. As did Ben Johnson
    - Luke Ball missed the entire season.
    - Swanny was playing up on the eve of the finals and was suspended by the club in rounds 21 & 22.
    - Krakour missed all but 4 games of the season.
    - Dawes was horribly out of form, and couldn't play second ruck - this year they have Q Lynch, who is no star, but is a better player than Dawes was last year - and can ruck.

And they made it to the Prelim, and were pretty competitive against the Premiers.

Would not be surprised at all if they made the Grand Final.
    Exactly. Agree with BJ on Jolly,as he 'd be a big loss.
    Thomas not having a pre season is worrying for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't miss Dawes much.
    Cloke, Jolly, Swan, Pendles and Thomas. All their big names are beyond the half forward line.
    Backlines win premierships and that's why I think they might just miss out.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Collingwood are a difficult side to get a read on at the moment, hard to see them not making top 4 because they have a lot of high end, elite quality on the playing list but that being said, I think their depth is a lot thinner in reality than it gets credited as and a few injuries could easily derail their season.

Interesting comments on their game plan too GS. It's been very bold the way that Buckley has came in and really left his imprint on how he wants the side to play, changing a successful formula that perhaps only needed a bit of tweaking.
    Not sure the change in game plan is a bad thing long term, albeit it did hurt them a little last year.

These days any successful formula that served a top four and successful side can't hang around for too long without a club refreshing the list and changing that formula a little bit.

Early doors it will be interesting to see if losing Dawes and Wellingham will affect them, and whether getting full seasons out of some stars will bolster them. It will be interesting to see if they can change the way they play enough to keep ahead of the pack.