Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightning Lin wants back six spot

link

A cohesive back six is one of the areas senior coach Brendan McCartney is focussing on this season and rookie Lin Jong wants to secure one of those positions.

The defender is using the NAB Cup campaign as an audition to bed down a regular senior spot in 2013 and believes his speed and attack on the ball could prove the point of difference McCartney can’t ignore.

“I would love one [of those spots],” Jong said.

“I did ok in the 20 metre sprint, so they (coaches) really encouraged me to use my legs … I guess speed would have to be my biggest strength.

“At times I tried to take off with the ball – I didn’t make too many runs and plays but I did try, so I am getting there.

“[I’m] still trying to get on the senior list and improve every time I am playing.”

Jong is under no illusion of where his weaknesses lie – spending many hours over the pre-season trying to refine his kicking technique – but believes he is ready for more game time in the seniors.

“[I’m] still a bit rusty, my kicking really needs to improve again but I am still working on that and trying to take the game on more – the coaches really urged us to do that,” he said.

“I still have to understand where I am at and what I need to improve on, so I am still really working on that.”

Gaining attention for his willingness to put his body on the line in a contest, Jong was one of the main ball winners in the Bulldogs clash with Collingwood – with only Clay Smith bettering his 11 possessions in the reduced length match.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lightning Lin wants back six spot

can't see him having a very long career unless he can dramatically improve his disposal by hand and foot.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    can't see him having a very long career unless he can dramatically improve his disposal by hand and foot.
    I think he showed us a lot as an 18 year old last season and he will only improve. Yes he has to work on his disposal, and its good he recognizes that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think he showed us a lot as an 18 year old last season and he will only improve. Yes he has to work on his disposal, and its good he recognizes that.
    He has shown he has the courage to be a player.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

He has shown he has the courage to be a player.
    He has the ability to get the ball as shown with his 11 disposals in a half game. Yes he made a couple of clangers, but he is only 19.

Post Thanks / Like

I think nerves and the speed of the game at senior level are just as much the problem as technique. I've seen him at Williamstown, and while not an elite kick, he's not as bad as he's shown at AFL level so far. I think with game time he'll improve his disposal pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

He can find the ball and isn't frightened to put his body on the line, that's two of the most important skills a player needs. Boyd is a terrible disposer of the ball, but has made a career out of being able to get it, Jong has this ability too with the added bonus of elite speed.

Post Thanks / Like

His ability to find the ball, read the play and put his head over it, as well as gather it off the deck are impressive.

He is a newcomer to the game and rightly recognises he can improve.

I thought he had an excellent 2012 and I'm confident he can become a good senior AFL footballer.

It will take time but nothing I've seen so far has made me think he wasn't an excellent rookie selection.

A spot as a rebounding defender is a good long term role for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Some players do improve their disposal quite alot when the enter the system - Jobe Watson is an obvious one, and Clay Smith is already showing signs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I like his kamikaze take-no-prisoners style.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of Wood in a lot of ways but finds the ball a fair bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

His disposal isn't any worse than our captain. I'm a fan of the way Jong plays, so hopefully he can get on the main list in 2014 and prove himself if he can work on his weaknesses. Good luck to him.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    His disposal isn't any worse than our captain.
    I think it's a decision making issue, he reminded me of a Brian Lake brainfade
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Much does depend on his ability to improve his decision making and disposal by foot.

However, he's got a lot of attributes to work with. Big body, height, elite speed, athletic, finds plenty of the ball, extremely courageous and very good in a contested situation.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him become a very good footballer, but the decision making and especially/moreso the disposal needs to improve -- particularly given where our deficiencies lay at currently.

Post Thanks / Like

Tend to agree TBB.

Though I think his courage is going to give him a bit of a free pass from scrutiny from a lot of our supporters over the course of his development. For some reason if a player exhibits that particular trait many others just as important tend to get overlooked.