Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken

Given he was used as a defensive forward in the first round of the NAB Cup what role will Liam play for us this season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Given he was used as a defensive forward in the first round of the NAB Cup what role will Liam play for us this season?
    He puts in a lot of effort an example for some of our players to follow. Tagger or should the tagging be shared around and not on just one player.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked the idea of Picken playing forward, he's good overhead, smart around goal, and will actually be accountable to his direct opponent. I'd like to see us develop or recruit another run with player to free up Liam.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I've always liked the idea of Picken playing forward, he's good overhead, smart around goal, and will actually be accountable to his direct opponent. I'd like to see us develop or recruit another run with player to free up Liam.
    Who would you say would be our main tagger this season. It will have to be someone who just keeps running.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    +1.

Yep, he knows where the goals are.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    +1.

Yep, he knows where the goals are.
    At least you know he'll run both ways.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Picken = number 1 tagger. Dahlhaus = number 2 tagger. That's where the value is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Picken = number 1 tagger. Dahlhaus = number 2 tagger. That's where the value is.
    Hard to argue with.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure i'd use our most exciting player in Dahlhaus as a tagger but i agree that Liam Picken needs a new role. I think he has more ability than just being a tagger. He has shown at times when not heavilly tagging that he can get a bit of the ball and kick the odd goal because he's not afraid to run in straight lines and have a shot from around 50.

Perhaps one of our several young players who are struggling with their skills might be candidates for a tagging role. Lin Jong could be one of those players in the future. Has great closing speed and will learn a bit about the game on a good player.
    Clay Smith is another who could be used temporarily as an option.

I'm sure Picken will improve all around if we give him some different challenges occasionally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Who would you say would be our main tagger this season. It will have to be someone who just keeps running.
    How about Matthew Boyd he used to be fairly proficient at negating his opponent.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I would like Picken to spend more time as a forward, if he can stop the influence of the oppositions defender play makers and also hit the scoreboard I see this as a win win.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will continue to tag the best opposition midfielder and maybe on occassions play forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    How about Matthew Boyd he used to be fairly proficient at negating his opponent.
    He'd have to do a 180 in his game style. No way.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of giving a tagging role to one of our youngsters. Invaluable experience.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I like the idea of giving a tagging role to one of our youngsters. Invaluable experience.
    How about someone like Tory Dickson.