Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Every bulldog has always loved Liam Picken but when you watch those highlights back to back you think to yourself "gee he's a gun - have even i been underrating him?"
    Tonight once again was cracking in.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Picken from behind, Picken from behind. The smallest of the threesome! I'm going to miss Cometti.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes Throughandthrough, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Every bulldog has always loved Liam Picken but when you watch those highlights back to back you think to yourself "gee he's a gun - have even i been underrating him?"
    Do I count as a Bulldog?

I really didn't think what Picken brought to the table prior to Bevo coming to the club was enough, but he's proved me wrong. He's an excellent player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What a player. He got us started against the Cokes. He was so good in that game. Only plays one way: pedal to the metal. Was great against Hawthorn, smashed in against the plastics and did some really vital things. And in the big one he was BEYOND EPIC. A Bulldog Legend for sure. If he never does anything else in football, rest assured, his legacy is written in stone and etched in the minds of all who were fortunate enough to witness his finals series.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

6. Likes Eastdog, Max469, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    What a player. He got us started against the Cokes. He was so good in that game. Only plays one way: pedal to the metal. Was great against Hawthorn, smashed in against the plastics and did some really vital things. And in the big one he was BEYOND EPIC. A Bulldog Legend for sure. If he never does anything else in football, rest assured, his legacy is written in stone and etched in the minds of all who were fortunate enough to witness his finals series.
    So right merantau. I may repeat myself a lot about Picko but it's just to emphasise his significance to our footy club.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

He's been my favourite player for years (ever since he signed my cap around 6 years ago!)
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

So he's uncontracted at the end of the year. He will be 31 and our list management policy seems to be only offering only one year extensions passed 30. Does he get two years with his career best form, or one as per the policy applied Bob, Boyd, Dale & Gia etc. ?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So he's uncontracted at the end of the year. He will be 31 and our list management policy seems to be only offering only one year extensions passed 30. Does he get two years with his career best form, or one as per the policy applied Bob, Boyd, Dale & Gia etc. ?
    I still think one year, lots of niggles and aches can quickly escalate when over 30.
    One year is the safer and smarter option and keeps with precedence.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

By mid season we will know if it's a one or two year contract that should be put in front of him.
    I'd say right now I'd offer him a 2 year deal with some stipulations for the 2nd season around incentives on games played
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I still think one year, lots of niggles and aches can quickly escalate when over 30.
    One year is the safer and smarter option and keeps with precedence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    By mid season we will know if it's a one or two year contract that should be put in front of him.
    I'd say right now I'd offer him a 2 year deal with some stipulations for the 2nd season around incentives on games played
    Precedence is important, I think an argument could be made that we had a Minno a year longer, admittedly that was a different deal. But as we start to get players from this generation approaching 30, if it's the cultural norm at the club that 30+ only get 1 year extensions then we shouldn't have any issues offering one year extensions in the future. With his current rise in output though, and free agent status (and probability he could get more cash), I'd imagine he'd want two years without conditions. It's an interesting case as if we are telling him/his manager 1 year or 2 years with conditions, and if he's not happy with that, then we effectively allow other clubs to pitch free agency indicative offers to his manager. As per Daniel Wells last year when North's unconditional 2 year offer came in too late.

I'm split each way, as I think he deserves 2 years, but one year extensions weren't an issue for Bob, Boyd, Dale or Gia recently. And creating an understanding in the club about this stance/rule is a good thing longer term. I also wonder if a club like GCS would offer him a fair bit more cash because of his ability to play midfield, tag and play forward.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Precedence is important, I think an argument could be made that we had a Minno a year longer, admittedly that was a different deal. But as we start to get players from this generation approaching 30, if it's the cultural norm at the club that 30+ only get 1 year extensions then we shouldn't have any issues offering one year extensions in the future. With his current rise in output though, and free agent status (and probability he could get more cash), I'd imagine he'd want two years without conditions. It's an interesting case as if we are telling him/his manager 1 year or 2 years with conditions, and if he's not happy with that, then we effectively allow other clubs to pitch free agency indicative offers to his manager. As per Daniel Wells last year when North's unconditional 2 year offer came in too late.

I'm split each way, as I think he deserves 2 years, but one year extensions weren't an issue for Bob, Boyd, Dale or Gia recently. And creating an understanding in the club about this stance/rule is a good thing longer term. I also wonder if a club like GCS would offer him a fair bit more cash because of his ability to play midfield, tag and play forward.
    I'm not too concerned about it either was but to me precedence is just a consideration but I'm not sure it's that important. Have our players felt slighted because the now 30yo Travis Cloke has a two year deal or do they understand he's priced himself into that type of position?

I think players are now realistic enough to know that once a contract expires when they are in their 30's clubs are going to try and offer them minimal deals but in tenure and from a financial perspective.

Picken will most likely be offered a one year deal but come mid season and if his form is good enough I wouldn't be too concerned if we put a 2 year deal in front of him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If it was this year + next I would do 2, but at the end of the year he will be 31 and we're yet to see how he performs in 2017. He would have to have an end to the year similar to last year's to demand another 2 IMO
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely love Picko, and so have all of his coaches it would seem.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but since he debuted in round 2, 2009, I don't believe he has ever been dropped - he has only ever missed due to injury or suspension. He's been marvellously consistent and is undersold as an athlete.

Having said all this, we have set the 1 year precedent with the likes of Boyd, Bob and Morris - so I see no good enough reason to not stick to that again.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been a warrior. Year after year posters on this board had him out of our best 22 prior to each year commencing......only to be proven wrong time and time again. Likely to get two years unless the wheels fall off.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not too concerned about it either was but to me precedence is just a consideration but I'm not sure it's that important. Have our players felt slighted because the now 30yo Travis Cloke has a two year deal or do they understand he's priced himself into that type of position?

I think players are now realistic enough to know that once a contract expires when they are in their 30's clubs are going to try and offer them minimal deals but in tenure and from a financial perspective.

Picken will most likely be offered a one year deal but come mid season and if his form is good enough I wouldn't be too concerned if we put a 2 year deal in front of him.
    I wouldn't be concerned either - Bevo recognises and values what the senior players bring to the table and Picken fits comfortably in the lineage of bulldog leaders - Murphy, Boyd, Morris, gia, cross, Johnson, smith, Darcy, grant, west, S Wallis - all who get the most out of their ability