Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

Suspected this maybe it for him.

Will be a very sad day when it's announced. He's been a heart and soul player who played some of his best, and elite by all standards, footy at the most important time.

Hope he's starting to feel a bit better and the effects of this knock don't impact him post career.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite player. What’s best for him and his family is way more important than playing again, although I hope he is able to. Intelligent guy who has prepared for life after footy and who has a really lovely family to help support him. A role model in so many ways. Love ya Picken...

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken owes us nothing. He has repayed in spades the gamble the club took when we rookied him. Thereis life after footy.

I don't like the idea of not seeing Liam play again but he has kids, a skull that is a little less resilient to trauma-and Liam Picken wouldn't know how not to put his head over the ball or take his turn when it comes-and he has nothing left to prove on the field. Unless he thinks he might win the Brownlow medal (or the Coleman medal) next year. He probably doesn't but with Liam nothing surprises any more.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes ratsmac, Testekill, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking forward to the mythical season in some distant future when the injury gods don't pick off our blokes like snipers.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be curtains for Liam. He'll go down forever as a Bulldogs legend as he, more than anyone else in 2016, was possible the most instrumental player to us winning the flag.

Post Thanks / Like

I think sadly it’s over for Liam, but what a career .
    His health is the most important thing now , and that 16 finals campaign and the sealer on GF day will live forever.
    I think we’re going to see this more often now

Post Thanks / Like

Had a bad feeling about this for a while now. I fear this is it for Pickers' career. Gave us everything.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Terribly sad to hear he's struggling like this

I just want to say: I love you Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It has to be curtains for Liam. He'll go down forever as a Bulldogs legend as he, more than anyone else in 2016, was possible the most instrumental player to us winning the flag.
    He was the outstanding player of all the finals - he was a man possessed and boy did he deliver. I really hope he can overcome this and play some more footy, but only if he is completely recovered.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just hope Liam can recover and lead a full and fulfilled life.

He has delivered in football.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Some further details of the issues Liam is dealing with:

Liam Picken might not play again in 2018 as he battles concussion, Luke Beveridge says

THE Western Bulldogs’ bumpy ride to 2018 has hit another speed bump, with coach Luke Beveridge revealing the future of one of his premiership stars remains in doubt.

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership hero Liam Picken could be forced to consider an early retirement due to concussion.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge revealed Picken’s ongoing symptoms were so severe that it was unclear when he would be able to play again.

The hard nut was still being rocked by dizzy spells and headaches, could not cope with loud music inside the club’s gymnasium and was unable to train.

Beveridge said Picken — who is contracted until the end of next season — may not play again this year, putting his career beyond that in doubt.

He needs only two more matches to reach 200 AFL games.

“Liam at the moment is quite openly saying that he knows he’s nowhere near ready to play again,” Beveridge said.

“There’s every chance that ‘Picko’ doesn’t play again this year.

“He’s still getting dizzy spells, he’s got headaches and he can’t train with the footballs.

“He cannot even cope with music in the four walls of the football club, so that’s how extreme it is at the moment.”

The issues stem from a head knock Picken, 31, suffered in the match against Hawthorn in the JLT Series when he clashed with teammate Josh Dunkley.

It was his second heavy head knock in 12 months following a similarly heavy blow against Fremantle in Round 3 last year.

Beveridge was adamant that Picken’s health was the priority and said “it would be a big challenge for everyone” determining whether the favourite son was “going to play maybe next year”.

He has been out indefinitely since the preseason blow on March 3 in Ballarat.

“We’ve sought some external consultants in the medical field who know a little bit more about brain injury and can give us some support around concussion, to provide our doctors and our medical staff with some advice,” Beveridge said on SEN.

“We’ve got as much clarity as you can, but we make some informed decisions when it comes to the point where maybe Liam’s keen to play again.”

Concussion is one of the biggest issues in the game, with a group of former players including former Cat and Bombers’ ruckman John Barnes and ex-Demon Shaun Smith leading a concussion damages claim against league and its clubs.

A raft of players have been forced to retire from the game early due to concussion including Heritier Lumumba (Melbourne), Sam Blease (Geelong), Jack Fitzpatrick (Hawthorn), Leigh Adams (North Melbourne) and Matt Maguire (Brisbane).

Former Saint Justin Koschitzke admitted last month he regretted returning too soon from a severe head knock in 2006 and continued to suffer from memory loss.

“I was really foolish to come back that year and play and if I had my time again I definitely would have taken the year off and rehabbed it properly and made sure I was in a fit state, mentally and physically, the next year,” Koschitzke said.

The league is using brain scans of former and current stars to conduct some world-leading research on concussion.

Picken is widely regarded as one of the most courageous and inspirational players in the competition and was given a two-year contract extension last year on the back of his stunning feats in the 2016 finals series.

Last year, the premiership star led the club’s goal kicking with 24 majors from 22 games.

14. Thanks Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor bloke.

I would hope that no one would begrudge him hanging up the boots. I know I sure wouldn't.

Get well soon Picko - for your yourself, your wife and your kids, and not just for footy.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Poor bloke.

I would hope that no one would begrudge him hanging up the boots. I know I sure wouldn't.

Get well soon Picko - for your yourself, your wife and your kids, and not just for footy.
    Absolutely not. As others have said on here, Liam owes us nothing. We, The Club, owe it to him and his family to provide him with the best care possible to manage him through this part of his life. No one could ever question Liam's commitment to the cause all throughout his career. Undoubtedly, the player of 2016 Finals Series.

Do whatever it takes Liam to get healthy, and only then consider whether you feel the need to pull on the boots again.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Absolutely not. As others have said on here, Liam owes us nothing. We, The Club, owe it to him and his family to provide him with the best care possible to manage him through this part of his life. No one could ever question Liam's commitment to the cause all throughout his career. Undoubtedly, the player of 2016 Finals Series.

Do whatever it takes Liam to get healthy, and only then consider whether you feel the need to pull on the boots again.
    Just to clarify, not thinking of people here on Woof, more boofheads elsewhere that might label him as "soft".
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

18. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Just to clarify, not thinking of people here on Woof, more boofheads elsewhere that might label him as "soft".
    People who say that likely have never had a serious concussion nor do they have serious commitments (kids, parents etc.) in life. I'd love Liam to keep playing but not at the risk of his long term health. A brain injury isn't like a soft tissue injury where a bit of exercise will have it back to its old self in no time. You get a trauma injury to the brain and it stays vulnerable to another hit (and really bad damage) for the rest of your life.

I work with people who have significant intellectual disabilities from head trauma and I wouldn't wish something like that on my worse enemy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

20. Likes Daughter of the West liked this post