Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Picken only laid two tackles as well.

Addison to this point has shown he can kick goals and provide a lead up target as a forward. When referencing Picken's forward prospects most seem to refer to a few snaps he's kicked over his career and the potential for him to put defensive pressure on opposition defenders.

There's going to have to be a point where we develop some young players who can specifically play as forwards rather than hiding average and or limited players in the forward line.
    I wouldn't waste my time trying to sway people on Addison.

Some people just have their minds made up. It's not necessarily a criticism, I am the same when it comes to some players too. I just don't waste my time posting about it, because there's no point spinning in the same circle again and again.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Picken only laid two tackles as well.

Addison to this point has shown he can kick goals and provide a lead up target as a forward. When referencing Picken's forward prospects most seem to refer to a few snaps he's kicked over his career and the potential for him to put defensive pressure on opposition defenders.

There's going to have to be a point where we develop some young players who can specifically play as forwards rather than hiding average and or limited players in the forward line.
    Where do you think Picken should play then?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Surely he takes Ablett this week and Lower goes elsewhere, perhaps half back? Can't see Nick having the run to go with him. What we have is a very good outside tagger in Picken and a very good inside tagger in Lower, their roles will have to be managed based on matchups.

Just a thought for the future, how about Picken as sub? Is an explosive runner and can play in all 3 areas of the ground so brings that versatility

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from shutting down midfielders I don't know if long term I see many options for him.

He has played a couple of good games as a defender this year, though unfortunately if there's not a clear option for him to give it to he becomes a liabilty with his usage. Perhaps as our defensive six and midfield become more organised it will mitigate the risk in that area of his game.

I can see in principle why people might want to try him forward, but the truth is being productive in that area of the ground is bloody hard work and takes a lot of smarts, especially when your team isn't supplying you with a decent volume of quality ball. He's not got elite pace, though he has the potential to be elite defensively in that area. I just don't know if he's got the smarts to be dangerous consistently or creativity to be a forward, and I don't think there'd be a lot of defenders in the competition who would be too concerned about him getting off the leash or hurting them in a marking contest.

Without seeing him play forward though, it's hard to be 100% about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Picken is on borrowed time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Washed up at 27 years old
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. As a tagger, he had a set role and did everything possible to nullify his opponent and benefit the team - more often than not he was very successful. I don't think he's unfixable but I do agree he needs a more suitable role than small defender. I still haven't heard a sound rationale for not having 2 run-with roles in the midfield. As mentioned by others, Picken excels with the outside mids and Lower is developing an impressive list of inside mid scalps - why should both roles be mutually exclusive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Interesting. As a tagger, he had a set role and did everything possible to nullify his opponent and benefit the team - more often than not he was very successful. I don't think he's unfixable but I do agree he needs a more suitable role than small defender. I still haven't heard a sound rationale for not having 2 run-with roles in the midfield. As mentioned by others, Picken excels with the outside mids and Lower is developing an impressive list of inside mid scalps - why should both roles be mutually exclusive?
    I would be happy without any hard tags - everybody attacks, everybody defends. Running both Picken and Lower in the midfield at the same time would just make lack of spread and footskills even worse. With the caveat that we havent got anyone ready to take their places in the side right at this moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I would be happy without any hard tags - everybody attacks, everybody defends. Running both Picken and Lower in the midfield at the same time would just make lack of spread and footskills even worse. With the caveat that we havent got anyone ready to take their places in the side right at this moment.
    Another way of looking at it would be our deplorable defensive spread being improved by having another person responsible for curtailing the oppositions midfielders.

While we're good at winning contests and clearing the ball, it's within the contests and clearances we don't win where we are badly hurt due to the complete lack of accountability and smarts at stoppages. We're absolute bunnies for the opposition to take advantage of on the spread when we don't win the ball.

From a midfielder development perspective, adding Picken to the mix for his defensive attributes might be short sighted, but from an overall competitive perspective in the short term we'll probably be in front.

Having said that, I agree with you that the overall goal of our midfield should be to compete both ways in equal measures, but if anything is evident from our performances this year it's that we're not there yet, and getting there will take time.

Post Thanks / Like

Washed up at 27 years old
    Unless he's reinvented, I don't see a position in the side for Picken longer term.

He's one of the worst disposers of the ball in the league, makes average decisions and cannot and should not play in the back half.

His only proven role is as a midfield tagger, but Lower has taken that spot (for inside mids mind you) and I can't see us playing two of them in there.

I would like to see him tried up forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Agree with you Sedat, although as I said above I can't see us shaping our midfield with two taggers. The sentiment is that it probably robs us of ball winning ability, rightly or wrongly. His decision making/disposal can still be very costly when playing midfield too.

I think he could be a good defensive forward. If he can't nail that, I don't see a position in the side for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    So I’m interested in other people opinions of Liam:

For mine he's becoming a liability. I'll explain.

This season he's played a relatively new area of the field. He's played a shut down tagging role basically since he's been at the club, but usually not as deep in defence as this season.

His ball usage is average, and down back it's more critical than any other position to get your disposal right imo. He regularly goes to ground, and if the contest isn't won, then this creates pressure for our other defenders and opens up the attacking team. You'd only have to ask that poor goal umpire that suffered the knee injury his opinion of Liams desperate, yet needless lunge agains Freo.

With Lower doing well as a run with tagger through the middle (Pickens former role) perhaps his area should be down in a forward pocket where he's shown he has some goal nous in previous seasons.

If it's not there then I think his bow strings are beginning to be run out.

In my household he's known as the snot-nosed school kid. Reson being he throws himself around like a hyperactive primary school kid would on the footy oval at lunch during winter. You'd imagine his mothers delight when he walks through the door, torn school jumper, blood nose, mud all over him, grin from ear to ear.

Thoughts?
    Been thinking the same thing.
    Do we need so many negating types?

Post Thanks / Like

Unless he's reinvented, I don't see a position in the side for Picken longer term.

He's one of the worst disposers of the ball in the league, makes average decisions and cannot and should not play in the back half.

His only proven role is as a midfield tagger, but Lower has taken that spot (for inside mids mind you) and I can't see us playing two of them in there.

I would like to see him tried up forward.

Agree with you Sedat, although as I said above I can't see us shaping our midfield with two taggers. The sentiment is that it probably robs us of ball winning ability, rightly or wrongly. His decision making/disposal can still be very costly when playing midfield too.

I think he could be a good defensive forward. If he can't nail that, I don't see a position in the side for him.
    TBB, what have you seen of Liam that makes you think he'll make a competent forward?

I don't see any value in putting him up there, when all he's shown to this point, other than one or two good games as a defender is competence in the midfield as a tagger. If he's struggling to be a defender, I don't see how he can add value in the hardest positions to play in the modern game, which are small to medium sized forward roles.

Post Thanks / Like

Another way of looking at it would be our deplorable defensive spread being improved by having another person responsible for curtailing the oppositions midfielders.

While we're good at winning contests and clearing the ball, it's within the contests and clearances we don't win where we are badly hurt due to the complete lack of accountability and smarts at stoppages. We're absolute bunnies for the opposition to take advantage of on the spread when we don't win the ball.
    I dont think that true. Our main problem is we give the ball back so promptly. When you turn the ball over you will get caught on the hop defensively and you have to transition from attack mode to defend mode all over again. The constant cycle of winning the ball, turning it over then chasing tail to defend again must be very, very tiring.

Hard tags arent going to help us maintain possession.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I dont think that true. Our main problem is we give the ball back so promptly. When you turn the ball over you will get caught on the hop defensively and you have to transition from attack mode to defend mode all over again. The constant cycle of winning the ball, turning it over then chasing tail to defend again must be very, very tiring.

Hard tags arent going to help us maintain possession.
    Reasonable point, though I think we've some midfielders that don't defend as well as they might.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he? I haven't seen it. Laid two tackles on the weekend.
    And one of those he was so slow to move i think my grandma would of been faster, still can't believe the north player took so long.

I just think he wonders around aimlessly, he goes to ground too often and his 2nd efforts, recovery and agility are pretty ordinary.

It's like he has one aggressive move to try and tackle someone, then by the time he gets up off the ground the ball is either long gone or he has missed opportunities to follow up.