Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    James Stewart developing nicely at GWS, while their own list falls in a heap.
    You have to wonder what's going on there and just how much off-field value a quiet, hard working dedicated type like Liam would have helped their list.
    Stewart could well be a star. I don't know what collingwood were thinking letting him slip.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam turns 30 in two months and is still playing good footy. His body has taken a beating his whole career such is willingness to do and take the hard things. How many years does Liam have left?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 04-06-2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting that Liam's biggest threat will be if we obtain an outside runner and gun user of the footy in this year's trade period, such has his transformation been.

He's the type of player that will keep his standard until retirement, unless his pace drops right off or injuries catch up with him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's interesting that Liam's biggest threat will be if we obtain an outside runner and gun user of the footy in this year's trade period, such has his transformation been.

He's the type of player that will keep his standard until retirement, unless his pace drops right off or injuries catch up with him.
    I hadn't thought of that. Does he get traded if that circumstance occurs?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hadn't thought of that. Does he get traded if that circumstance occurs?
    I think we'd keep him as back up if he wanted to stay and there wasn't interest from other clubs. A new draftee with those attributes won't threaten his position though, due to his age and them needing to take a couple of years to mature. I could see a club like GCS being interested in his services if we were to try and poach one of their runners.

People wouldn't be happy about it, you know, "no way we'd trade Liam, I reckon he'd be in the first 22 or so players Bevo would pick every week"..........because he always gives his all and goes hard at it etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we'd keep him as back up if he wanted to stay and there wasn't interest from other clubs. A new draftee with those attributes won't threaten his position though, due to his age and them needing to take a couple of years to mature. I could see a club like GCS being interested in his services if we were to try and poach one of their runners.

People wouldn't be happy about it, you know, "no way we'd trade Liam, I reckon he'd be in the first 22 or so players Bevo would pick every week"..........because he always gives his all and goes hard at it etc.
    I like Picken. That would actually be a win-win as they could very well do with a heart & soul player to see what you need to do to will yourself to win. Provided we actually got the player we want be it Lynch or Prestia. I can't see us getting Jeager with the flood of huge offers he will get. Equally, keeping Picken is fine too although he becomes a single year re-contracted player for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I should point out that if we were to keep him and brought in a runner and good user type, it wouldn't mean Picken automatically loses his spot. He'd fight tooth and nail for it, and be a better than fair chance of keeping it.

Post Thanks / Like

I should point out that if we were to keep him and brought in a runner and good user type, it wouldn't mean Picken automatically loses his spot. He'd fight tooth and nail for it, and be a better than fair chance of keeping it.
    I think he's been played in every non KPP spot (inc. ruck) on the ground in his career and is still playing good footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Liam turns 30 in two months and is still playing good footy. His body has taken a beating his whole career such is willingness to do and take the hard things. How many years does Liam have left?
    I would think 2 years after this one should not be a problem.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Would think Liam would be in the first ten players picked every week can't see him going anywhere. You can't teach that sort of commitment it comes with the genes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    Would think Liam would be in the first ten players picked every week can't see him going anywhere. You can't teach that sort of commitment it comes with the genes.
    It didn't take as long as I thought it would.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken will play out his career with us. His form will not desert him. Like a good wine he will ..?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Until the last 12 months there has always been a pre-season thread questioning whether Picken will be squeezed out of the line-up....and every year he proves everyone wrong.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Until the last 12 months there has always been a pre-season thread questioning whether Picken will be squeezed out of the line-up....and every year he proves everyone wrong.
    So true. I think that means he is underrated by our supporters. The guy gives 110% every game and has been rejuvenated under Bevo in a role he is meant to play in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Picken playing out with us and generally being underrated. I can see him playing a year or 2 in a Matty Boyd type role at the end of his career.