Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  99
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Liam Picken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Picken

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Liam turns 30 in two months and is still playing good footy. His body has taken a beating his whole career such is willingness to do and take the hard things. How many years does Liam have left?
    I spoke to him for a bit at the club a couple of weeks back. Said he was feeling well each week and recovering well.

I imagine he might be a bit sorer than usual this week with the hit he took in the last couple of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    So true. I think that means he is underrated by our supporters. The guy gives 110% every game and has been rejuvenated under Bevo in a role he is meant to play in.
    Absolutely. He has always been appreciated by supporters, his type of player usually is. I'd be surprised if anyone anticipated him being this good an attacking threat once freed of the lockdown roles though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Until the last 12 months there has always been a pre-season thread questioning whether Picken will be squeezed out of the line-up....and every year he proves everyone wrong.
    I can't put a time stamp on him for the reasons you highlight. Until his form drops off markedly I can't see him being squeezed out.
    He might also do a Matthew Boyd and reinvent himself as a defender again.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Great goal saving tackle V the Cats. Very good effort not to give away a free. Been a good contributor in games where we have been slightly out-bodied. Outnumbered, Liam will usually draw even. Needs to score more!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Great goal saving tackle V the Cats. Very good effort not to give away a free. Been a good contributor in games where we have been slightly out-bodied. Outnumbered, Liam will usually draw even. Needs to score more!
    It was George Gregan-esque and the commentators quite rightly made a big deal out of it.

Although I really started to tire of the "they haven't stopped trying" narrative they ran with in the last, they were right in that we never dropped or bundle and really threw ourselves into every contest, and Liam's tackle was the embodiment of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam is in top form at the moment and filling in holes everywhere for Bevo. How good has he been over the past two weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam is the sort of player that we love. I bracket him with the likes of Charlie Evans, Gary Merrington, Dennis Collins, Les Bamblett, Robert Gronewegon, Terry Wheeler, Stephen Power, Steve Kretiuk, Gordon Casey, Steve Kolyniuk, Bluey Hampshire, Bruce Duperouzel, Peter Foster, Chris Hansen, Charlie Pagnoccolo, Angelo Petraglia, Glen Coleman and the list goes on. Some of these guys had long careers, some short, some were rejects, some just wanted a fresh start; some had limited ability. But they all had one thing in common: a fierce desire to win that drovr them to give their all no matter what the state of the game. Liam Picken is a stand-out in this regard. When he retires he will leave big boots to fill - an all-time crowd favourite.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

8. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam is in top form at the moment and filling in holes everywhere for Bevo. How good has he been over the past two weeks.
    This year. He's just about had every role a player his size can get, and has done it really well. Last week Sidebottom learned the hard way what Boomer has had for 10 years, and 16 contested possessions while racking up over 30 is the other extreme. He will end up a 200-250 game player at the club which speaks volumes for him. From memory Williamstown paid the $50,000 rookie salary, I think we owe then a big sloppy kiss but we getting close to reciprocation now giving them Sherman & Ayce.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt our injuries have created greater opportunity for Liam in terms of prominent midfield roles and he has grabbed them with both hands. Is destined to go down as a Bulldog great with plenty of good years left.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken = 100% pretty each week.

Will be great as well to get Dale Morris back. Our veterans Morris, Picken, Boyd have all been really good this season.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Picken has been fantastic this year. Would be pretty high up in the B&F this year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he was BOG on Sunday. He would be close to our best 1 on 1 player
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Thought he was BOG on Sunday. He would be close to our best 1 on 1 player
    Dale Morris would be my nominee as our best 1 on 1 player. Bonti second. Libba up there too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Picken has been fantastic this year. Would be pretty high up in the B&F this year.
    Love to see him win it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Love to see him win it.
    Even a top three finish would be a great reward for one of the most determined bulldogs ever

18. Likes bornadog liked this post