Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A battered Diesel Williams speaks out.

'It was just tradition. You got up and kept going'
    Former champion Greg Williams believes AFL players who suffer concussion should be forced to wait for longer periods before they are allowed to return to the field.
    The dual Brownlow medallist and AFL premiership player has spoken about his battle with a degenerative brain disease, which has eroded memories of his career and personal life.

Williams, 49, says his failing memory can be traced back to the heavy knocks he took while playing during his 250-match AFL career with Geelong, Sydney and Carlton.
    He said the AFL should enforce vigorous concussion rules for players, naming stars such as Joel Selwood and Kurt Tippett as players "who get knocked out two or three times a year and nearly play every (time) the week after"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2LuIPBWKA
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A battered Diesel Williams speaks out.

A lot of folk were punching and bumping eachother in the heads in the earlier days of Diesel's career. He dished a fair bit of it out himself.

I was lucky enough to only get a few concussions in 21 years of footy, and I'm grateful for that.

My first senior game I was involved in a stupidly large head on head front on collision. What was even more stupid was I went back on 40 minutes later. I think it's time concussed players were kept off the ground and managed extremely closely for a month after the incident by independent doctors, rather than club officials. There's too much evidence coming to light as analysis and research of sports players detailing the negative effects of concussion.

I'd prefer the league to act with caution going forwards, and stop awarding free kicks to players instigating head high contact on themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

What was Williams like as a player? Modern day equivalent?

I can only remember some incident with an umpire. Never saw his best.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

He was possibly the most intuitive player I've ever seen play the game. His ability to cut a contest open with a handball was second to none, and whilst he didn't dispose by foot as prolifically, or over a long distance he didn't waste any kicks.

His goal sense towards the latter part of his career set him apart as his game was slowing.

He was a mongrel, who gave out maybe a bit more than he got. Though, that was probably because tagging of someone of such amazing ball winning ability in his days was often executed with roughous tactics.

Couple all of the above with his ability to make time slow down when he received and used the ball, and the fact he was always in a link to a scoring opportunity for his team and you have one of the best footballers ever to grace the field.

He'd be in the top handful of smart players to play the game. While he could run a game out on his terms when not being the most athletic or fittest, he thought his way through it better than anyone.

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a modern day equivelant. He was unique for his time, as he was by and large a cut above everyone who had the same athletic deficiencies that he had. Those deficiencies just didn't matter to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Mitchell would be the best fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Sam Mitchell would be the best fit.
    Probably in style yes, Williams was much more dangerous as a goal kicker though. It's a hard one to judge, I'd probably say that he combined the best of Mitchell and Voss as a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Milne, and not for any footballing ability, just for the fact if he wasn't playing for your team you hated him.

One of the best extractors, come play makers the game has ever seen. Gee I hated him!
    Last edited by ratsmac; 26-02-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Probably in style yes, Williams was much more dangerous as a goal kicker though. It's a hard one to judge, I'd probably say that he combined the best of Mitchell and Voss as a player.
    I would throw Scott West into the Mitchell and Voss mix as well.