Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

All AFL players should wear helmets

What's the excuse? All AFL players should wear helmets. And one day they will.

Nobody would have called Shaun Hart a wimp for wearing one....opps didn't help him much here...

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is the result of repeated blows to the head. It can cause memory loss, early onset dementia and mood swings.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz2Lx8nNds3

And all kids playing footy should be made to wear them too. Agree? Disagree?

Luke Dahlhaus is excused as he has a hair helmet.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All AFL players should wear helmets

It's an extreme view that all should players should wear a helmet as I'm not convinced that as a protective aid they will provide the desired level of safety.

NFL helmets have shown to confound concussion issue which is clearly against what the helmet is aiming to do. The softer type of helmet seen above may help distribute a blow better but I'm not sure that has been proven either.

There has to be a strong stance on players being concussed regardless of the severity. I think the AFL are generally doing a good job at this. One thing I would like to see is an independent doctor to assess the players on the field and make the call. Not to say the club doctors dont have what's best for the player as their primary intention, more that it takes away any possible debate in my eyes.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic but did anyone see these 'invisible helmets' made in Denmark? nifty!

The success of a helmet would depend on a number of things in its design.

For example, a helmet can actually increase concussion if it makes the head significantly heavier, by increasing the rotational force of the head ( link )

It can also give one a sense of security where there may be none.

On the other hand, if the helmet is light, and as you say, spreads the force of the blow, then there seems no counter argument, particularly as a means of protecting the temple regions of the head. For kids, it seems like a good idea in order to protect those parts of the skull that are not quite developed, like an adult. Some leagues, like the Echuca Juniors, have made it compulsory for 12-14 year olds. So the 'extreme view' argument doesn't quite hold up.

In the end, it comes down to the design of the thing, and the age group you are trying to apply it to. The bottom line is, the AFL could do more research into the possible design of helmets in my view.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Players can use helmets to turn their head into a battering ram.

Post Thanks / Like

While it gives you protection you can still get concussed whilst wearing a helmet.
    Its time for the Clubs and Clubs medical staff to take responsibilty and not put the player at risk by playing him the next week.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they can/will enforce the compulsory helmets at the AFL level, there are just going to be too many objections. Is there evidence that they actually work, ie. actually reduce concussions? Without that, there'll be lots of objections (still will be, in my view)...
    Last edited by AndrewP6; 26-02-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

They have to actually do the research first don't they. Has to be some evidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Would a helmet stop your brain from smacking the inside of your skull?

The skull provides poor protection to the brain from trauma

The interior surface of the human skull

While common belief is that the skull provides a protective barrier around the brain providing adequate protection to the brain from outside forces, the very opposite is true. The brain is a soft gelatinous structure that floats in the skull in a sea of cerebrospinal fluid.

While the outside of the skull is strong and hard, the inside of the skull contains many sharp ridges and edges which can cause damage to the soft brain tissue. Much of the damage to the brain is related to the interior surface of the skull.

The brain is easily damaged when it moves within the skull cavity and is violently thrown up against these sharp areas. When the brain strikes the inside of the skull both the area that is struck can be injured as well as the opposite area of the brain. When the brain is subjected to forces causing it to move forward or backward or rotate in the closed skull cavity, the brain is forcefully propelled against the sharp edges and protrusions in the interior of the skull causing bruising, bleeding and destruction of nerve cells.

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree, although I am in the camp of improving awareness and practice around the management of concussion and related injuries. A couple of points:

1. I'm not certain that those type of helmets actually diminish the impact of a big hit, beyond the abrasion side of things. Could be wrong but I'm fairly confident.

2. The trend in the game is for players to lead with the head, introduction of mandatory helmets most likely will encourage this as the risk will be perceived to be less.

3. My understanding is that it is the management of the injury after the event that needs to be addressed rather than the events where trauma occurs. Te reality is the risk of a hit to the head is inherent in contact sports. Repeatedly being exposed to damaging hits can be avoided, or at least reduced if the treatment options were explored, or more stringently adhered to.

In the NHL, my favourite player Marc Savard spent quite some time out of the game after a heavy concussion, in his first few games back, Matt Cooke gave him a brutal head shot. Savard will never play again. The medical staff have ruled him out, the risks for his health and safety are just too high now. He was one of Boston's best players. Huge call. But the right one.

I think we need to prepare ourselves for a future where concussions see players spend lenghty periods out of the game and potentially careers ended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    \

1. I'm not certain that those type of helmets actually diminish the impact of a big hit, beyond the abrasion side of things. Could be wrong but I'm fairly confident.

2. The trend in the game is for players to lead with the head, introduction of mandatory helmets most likely will encourage this as the risk will be perceived to be less.

3. My understanding is that it is the management of the injury after the event that needs to be addressed rather than the events where trauma occurs. Te reality is the risk of a hit to the head is inherent in contact sports. Repeatedly being exposed to damaging hits can be avoided, or at least reduced if the treatment options were explored, or more stringently adhered to.
    Respect your view, and you have some good points. Exploring this, some views from the other side.

1. Helmet design has not really been on the agenda. The data is inconclusive and not many types of helmets have been explored. Shaun Hart's is a pretty old design. Can we say we've put our best effort into it? And is this purely because of cosmetic reasons?

2. Point 2 I can't really counter. The more players are protected, the more likely they are to put their head in the cannon.

3. Here I would have to disagree. How many players are we willing to inconvenience if it saves 1 player from early onset dementia. 1? 5? 10 ? 40 ? I don't think helmet use is a panacea. But no reason why it cannot be part of a multi-pronged solution, if a design proves to reduce collision impact after testing. I really don't think anyone has tried. That's not to say it won't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Would a helmet stop your brain from smacking the inside of your skull?

The skull provides poor protection to the brain from trauma

The interior surface of the human skull

While common belief is that the skull provides a protective barrier around the brain providing adequate protection to the brain from outside forces, the very opposite is true. The brain is a soft gelatinous structure that floats in the skull in a sea of cerebrospinal fluid.

While the outside of the skull is strong and hard, the inside of the skull contains many sharp ridges and edges which can cause damage to the soft brain tissue. Much of the damage to the brain is related to the interior surface of the skull.

The brain is easily damaged when it moves within the skull cavity and is violently thrown up against these sharp areas. When the brain strikes the inside of the skull both the area that is struck can be injured as well as the opposite area of the brain. When the brain is subjected to forces causing it to move forward or backward or rotate in the closed skull cavity, the brain is forcefully propelled against the sharp edges and protrusions in the interior of the skull causing bruising, bleeding and destruction of nerve cells.

LINK
    Ok. This is good reading Hotdog
    I'm no expert, but this relates to brain injury, not brain injury and helmets.
    In a collision, the brain is likely to be slammed into one side of the skull wall. When the head 'bounces' or 'whiplashes' from the impact, it bounces the other way as indicated in the above ) . I can see how a helmet might be less useful in this first impact, but can see how it might stop the effects of secondary impact.

Olympic boxers wear them. Unsure they would bother if it didn't do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Ok. This is good reading Hotdog
    I'm no expert, but this relates to brain injury, not brain injury and helmets.
    In a collision, the brain is likely to be slammed into one side of the skull wall. When the head 'bounces' or 'whiplashes' from the impact, it bounces the other way as indicated in the above ) . I can see how a helmet might be less useful in this first impact, but can see how it might stop the effects of secondary impact.

A helmet wouldn't have helped Lewis

The trouble with the game now days is the AFL in their wisdom from the early eighties onwards has been to speed the game up, it has now got to a dangerous level of high speed impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    A helmet wouldn't have helped Lewis

I'm not an expert. But agree, this is one knock that may not have had any other outcome. But admit that they don't happen like this in every game.
    1. The hit.
    I don't think a helmet would help much here with a knock like this.

2. It may actually worsen the impact here if the helmet is heavy. That's why they have to be light.

3. Here a helmet might be of some use. It might stop the force of a blow on a hard ground, like Etihad.

Ok I can accept it woudn't have helped much in the initial contact. It might have helped in the slamming on the ground.

IIRC He came back on in this game didn't he??? Unbelievable if true. In a stupid way.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 27-02-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They have to, it's in the rules, it's not like they have a choice.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I can accept it woudn't have helped much in the initial contact. It might have helped in the slamming on the ground.

IIRC He came back on in this game didn't he??? Unbelievable if true. In a stupid way.
    I suppose that's the thing, hit his head on the ground the helmet would protest against any external damage cuts and bruising outside the skull but inside the brain would have been slapping around from the sudden jolting of hitting the ground.

I'm not a medical expert so my opinion is as valid as yours. I kinda think it's a bit like when the body gets hit by a high velocity bullet, minor damage at the point of entry but the hydrostatic shock ruptures the organs inside, this is an extreme example and after looking a little on the net the Hydrostatic shock is a debate within it's self.

I think helmets may help for light collisions that would make a player dazed without it but it a collision were a player is rendered unconscious I think the helmet would be of little use.