Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All AFL players should wear helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    They have to actually do the research first don't they. Has to be some evidence.
    Who the AFL? They'll just bring it in for the last round of the NAB cup, declare it a success and introduce it permanently without consulting the players
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I suppose that's the thing, hit his head on the ground the helmet would protest against any external damage cuts and bruising outside the skull but inside the brain would have been slapping around from the sudden jolting of hitting the ground.

I'm not a medical expert so my opinion is as valid as yours. I kinda think it's a bit like when the body gets hit by a high velocity bullet, minor damage at the point of entry but the hydrostatic shock ruptures the organs inside, this is an extreme example and after looking a little on the net the Hydrostatic shock is a debate within it's self.

I think helmets may help for light collisions that would make a player dazed without it but it a collision were a player is rendered unconscious I think the helmet would be of little use.
    Yeah I take your point. Airbags work in cars for example. But only because of the delayed 'cushioning effect' of the bag the human head. It would have to have 'airbag' qualities as a helmet for it to have any protective effect from the high speed momentum. And' that's just not practical. I'm not sure this applies to kids and wether or not it's worth them wearing it is an interesting question for me.
    The code is going to face increasing competition from Soccer. I know a lot of mums are reluctant to let their kids play AFL.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I take your point. Airbags work in cars for example. But only because of the delayed 'cushioning effect' of the bag the human head. It would have to have 'airbag' qualities as a helmet for it to have any protective effect from the high speed momentum. And' that's just not practical. I'm not sure this applies to kids and wether or not it's worth them wearing it is an interesting question for me.
    The code is going to face increasing competition from Soccer. I know a lot of mums are reluctant to let their kids play AFL.
    A lot of mums are reluctant to let their kids do anything. Life is risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Kids become a different story as their body is still developing. I don't know about Victoria but AFL in Queensland is a non contact sport until under 12 when it goes to full Field and contact.If a junior has a concussion, they are not permitted to play for 2 weeks and maybe they should add to this a helmet must be worn for the rest of the season.
    I wasn't concerned for my boys when they were playing but some parents made their kids wear helmets but as the kid get older the helmet soon goes.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I have always disliked helmets in footy. I was very happy to see the AFL state that "There is no definitive scientific evidence that helmets prevent concussion or other brain injuries in Australian football".

Helmets are also a nightmare when you are coaching a team where many players wear helmets.... You find it very hard to tell one player from another..

http://aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=883

Helmets

There is no definitive scientific evidence that helmets prevent concussion or other brain injuries in Australian football
    There is some evidence that younger players who wear a helmet may change their playing style, and receive more head impacts as a result
    Accordingly, helmets are not recommended for the prevention of concussion
    Helmets may have a role in the protection of players on return to play following specific injuries (e.g. face or skull fractures)