Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs hitting strength benchmarks

Link

Western Bulldogs Strength Coach Andy Barnett is placing a high premium on not only increasing muscle but translating that power out onto the field this pre-season.

A clear focus on pure strength before Christmas saw the playing group hit multiple benchmarks set by Barnett - with 75% able to squat one and a half times their body weight, as well as over 80% able to deadlift one and a half times their body weight.

Now that the players are fully immersed in the NAB Cup competition, the emphasis is on learning how to best exploit that power and implement more speed into their movement.

“The direction we are taking that now is we are trying to shift it over very subtly toward more of a power type program,” Barnett said.

“We are going to work one day a week where we are taking a little bit lighter weight and moving it faster.”

Bearing less weight has not made Barnett’s weights program any less gruelling for the players, as they switch to the second phase of the pre-season.

“I think with some of these guys they are starting to feel that my idea of a lighter weight isn’t exactly light,” he said.

“So they are starting to understand that we are going to get stronger throughout the season but we are going to do it at a faster speed.”

Movement mechanics have also been a core focus over summer as part of the Bulldogs program implemented by Barnett - who hails from a background in American Football and Olympic training centres.

“I’ve seen 100 guys who can squat 200 [or] 300 kilos but they can’t move, so what difference does it make,” he said.

“So one of the areas that we have delved into but we haven’t gotten into as deep as I would like is just real basic movement mechanics.

“How to accelerate, how to do change of direction, these types of things - which then bring what we are doing in the weight room into play.

“I am seeing some of the drills that we are doing, I am starting to see some of the footwork get better - so things will start to transfer out from the weights room.”

Gains have been made on the new program throughout the playing group, while versatile tall Jordan Roughead said the preseason has been tough but enjoyable.

“It’s been a solid pre-season, it’s been a real challenge,” Roughead said.

“We’ve had Andy and Graham [Lowe] come in and they have brought some new philosophies to some of our sessions which has been a challenge.

“But all of the boys have adapted well and we have had some fun out there as well.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs hitting strength benchmarks

So one of the areas that we have delved into but we haven’t gotten into as deep as I would like is just real basic movement mechanics.

???? Is this a lack of professionalism, a lack of planning, a lack of communication amongst the football dept? Have I misread this? Bit alarming that he would say that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoParkingOnMatchDays View Post
    So one of the areas that we have delved into but we haven’t gotten into as deep as I would like is just real basic movement mechanics.

???? Is this a lack of professionalism, a lack of planning, a lack of communication amongst the football dept? Have I misread this? Bit alarming that he would say that.
    I think you're reading a bit too deeply into it. I guess given there has been such a big emphasis on building players strength, size and endurance we haven't had a chance to delve as deeply into the mechanics as he would of liked, although it seems we have been doing a bit.

I'm sure once the basics are under control it's something we will delve into a bit deeper and I'm all for it. Andy seems like a great acquisition and I like his philosophies regarding better transferral of the benefits of the conditioning program on field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I think you're reading a bit too deeply into it. I guess given there has been such a big emphasis on building players strength, size and endurance we haven't had a chance to delve as deeply into the mechanics as he would of liked, although it seems we have been doing a bit.

I'm sure once the basics are under control it's something we will delve into a bit deeper and I'm all for it. Andy seems like a great acquisition and I like his philosophies regarding better transferral of the benefits of the conditioning program on field.
    I tend to agree, though it's easy for somebody in his position to provide the feedback he has to this point as part of building his brand.

This preseason isn't really where he'll earn his money. It's the next one and the one after where he'll show his true value, as he'll have been able to stamp his philosphies and principals on the group over a period of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely the coaching and conditioning staff can hardly be expected to cover every option or base there is, in just one preseason. They have been working on bulking up players, increasing their strength, improving all their PB's for running, correcting their lifting techniques, upping general fitness, improving kicking techniques and general disposal skills, teaching/improving positional skills, rehabbing injured players......... just to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head that have mentioned.
    Don't know about you, but I'm getting tired just thinking about it. It's a pretty fair load for 3 or so months. You do not want to overload them physically or mentally before the season even gets under way.

For mine I am quite happy that Andy has not fired all his cannons in his first preseason. It is good to hear he still has other ideas/options up his sleeve to continue our player development, and that he will continue to find ways to improve our players physically over the seasons ahead.
    For mine it sounds like he has a very professional approach and attitude. More strength [ sorry about that one..ha, ha] to him I say.
    And I am sure the players will appreciate the fact that he may have a few new things for them to try-out next preseason, rather than just a repetition of the same old same old. Variety can keep enthusiasm levels up during the off season slog period too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulv View Post
    Surely the coaching and conditioning staff can hardly be expected to cover every option or base there is, in just one preseason. They have been working on bulking up players, increasing their strength, improving all their PB's for running, correcting their lifting techniques, upping general fitness, improving kicking techniques and general disposal skills, teaching/improving positional skills, rehabbing injured players......... just to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head that have mentioned.
    Don't know about you, but I'm getting tired just thinking about it. It's a pretty fair load for 3 or so months. You do not want to overload them physically or mentally before the season even gets under way.

For mine I am quite happy that Andy has not fired all his cannons in his first preseason. It is good to hear he still has other ideas/options up his sleeve to continue our player development, and that he will continue to find ways to improve our players physically over the seasons ahead.
    For mine it sounds like he has a very professional approach and attitude. More strength [ sorry about that one..ha, ha] to him I say.
    And I am sure the players will appreciate the fact that he may have a few new things for them to try-out next preseason, rather than just a repetition of the same old same old. Variety can keep enthusiasm levels up during the off season slog period too.
    Spot on.

I'm surprised anyone was even questioning the approach, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but everything we hear coming from Andy is he has a very clear plan of what he wants us to achieve and how he's going to achieve it. You can't do everything all at once, it doesn't work that way, but I like what I'm hearing from our fitness department.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Spot on.

I'm surprised anyone was even questioning the approach, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, but everything we hear coming from Andy is he has a very clear plan of what he wants us to achieve and how he's going to achieve it. You can't do everything all at once, it doesn't work that way, but I like what I'm hearing from our fitness department.
    I think we are very lucky to have these guys in our fitness department, they are world class and I am sure they know what they are doing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.