Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a 2007 retiree: Nathan Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    My missus hated Bucks before we moved to Melbourne. Since getting here though, and listening to him on the radio (I dont know what station, but I am a dedicated RRR listener!) she thinks he is a good fella - and further reckons he does laugh at himself.

He was a good footballer, who - I am sorry to say - is more highly regarded than he otherwise would be because he wore black and white stripes. I dont think he is/was a better player than Grant, Voss or Harvey, but suspect history will say that he was.
    I was going to say something similar. He is overrated because of who he plays for but that doesnt mean he wasnt really really good. If Bucks had played for the dogs and Grant for the pies they would be saying something other than what they were saying which was...um..

you know what i mean.
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a 2007 retiree: Nathan Buckley

Funny you mention the Buckley/Grant thing.

I was talking about this today with a friend of mine. In terms of success Buckley and Grant are probably pretty even. ALthough Buckley has probably had more finals sucess even though he hasn't won one. As far as I'm concerned Grant has one a Brownlow!!!!!!

Now two champions pull the pin on their careers pretty close together. In the media Chris Grant gets a small mention in news reports and gets a couple of columns in the paper. Buckley announces his and there is top stories, front and back page reports in the paper, major announcements on radio. So why does Buckley get more attention because he plays for the media whores?

As far as I'm concerned Buckley has done nothing to be classed above a player like Chris Grant so why is he compared to the greats of this game? Because he played for a more popular side? Grant walks away so quietly only Bulldogs fans really seemed to notice had he played for the scum would he be rated more highly simply because he played for a more high profiled team?

That is Buckley in a nutshell right there a good player in the most popular club of the AFL so apparently he is one of the greats? Not in my book!