Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Friday Footy!

I vote yes.

Glenelg in the SANFL opens their season next Friday (Good Friday) night under lights @ South Adelaide.

Many (all?) sports play Good Friday, NBA basketball plays Christmas Day, fgs.

And obvoiusly a few people will feel strongly about not going for strong personal reasons, i fully respect your beliefs, but no reason why i cant go!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Friday Footy!

I'm not Christian and have no problem with it. There is the argument in Victoria that it takes away from the Childrens' hospital appeal but I'm sure they could link the 2 together and really try to use the game to raise more cash/awareness.
    I think it will happen eventually and I'm all for it.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

I'm for it. I see as a chance for the AFL to do something positive in conjunction with the Good Friday appeal.

I worked a Melbourne storm game years ago on Good Friday, there were close to 40,000 people at the docklands that night. All whilst the appeal was going on in the victory room, it was really positive and gave the appeal even more exposure.

I really think the AFL continue to drop the ball on this one.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm not Christian and have no problem with it. There is the argument in Victoria that it takes away from the Childrens' hospital appeal but I'm sure they could link the 2 together and really try to use the game to raise more cash/awareness.
    I think it will happen eventually and I'm all for it.
    Who spearheads this argument?
    Good Friday has traditionally been my most hated, boring day on the calendar. By all means donate and do whatever to help the kids, but I don't want to meet the person who's idea of enjoyment is sitting in front of the tube watching the GFA for 10 hours, and feels that other peopel should do the same.

I went and watched Gisborne Vs Kyneton (RIP) last year. Saw Jack "The Giant Killer" Redpath their checking out his old team. had a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    I'm for it. I see as a chance for the AFL to do something positive in conjunction with the Good Friday appeal.

I worked a Melbourne storm game years ago on Good Friday, there were close to 40,000 people at the docklands that night. All whilst the appeal was going on in the victory room, it was really positive and gave the appeal even more exposure.

I really think the AFL continue to drop the ball on this one.
    I was at that game, it was great. I think it helped raise more money as there were collectors outside the ground and activities going on inside the ground. Storm are also playing on Good Friday this year, unfortunately in Brisbane though.

Post Thanks / Like

This Easter coming up doesn't include people who are Orthodox. Orthodox Easter is in May this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Every Good Friday, Bulldogs versus Geelong at Kardinia Park, night time match. Lets make it happen and share the spoils.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeppppp.

If Christians want the day off let them have it but doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy the footy if we want to. I will also eat nothing but meat that day, just because I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Every Good Friday, Bulldogs versus Geelong at Kardinia Park, night time match. Lets make it happen and share the spoils.
    Great idea.

Although I can see us being crucified just like JC all those years ago.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Great idea.

Although I can see us being crucified just like JC all those years ago.

Why settle for Kardinia?

Use the G and make it a traditional blockbuster

(Before a big club steals it)

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't be MORE, FOR Good Friday footy. Such a boring day. No footy, no racing....nothing open!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Why settle for Kardinia?

Use the G and make it a traditional blockbuster

(Before a big club steals it)
    Make more money at KP and a good way to sell to AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Make more money at KP and a good way to sell to AFL
    If we're the only game in town it's not unreasonable to expect 60K+ year after year at the MCG. It could be a game that neutrals attend given there's nothing else on. Revenue would be similar and the exposure would be even better.

Maybe against Essendon or Carlton given our relative proximity to RCH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I couldn't be MORE, FOR Good Friday footy. Such a boring day. No footy, no racing....nothing open!!!
    Good Friday is a great day to put in the hard yards with the family.... Just don't tell them that you're only present as there is nothing else to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yeppppp.

If Christians want the day off let them have it but doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy the footy if we want to. I will also eat nothing but meat that day, just because I can.
    Made me laugh. I'm with you too hujsh.