Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Friday Footy!

I wish the bloody game would start now.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

If someone gets a prop up it'll be Melbourne. Melbourne vs Hawks or Geelong or something

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If someone gets a prop up it'll be Melbourne. Melbourne vs Hawks or Geelong or something
    Like the Queens Birthday blockbuster that gets about 30,000 despite being the only game on in Australia.

I like 'Staches F1 analogy, bang on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

AFL 360 backed us in tonight and Robbo even used some of my words.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL 360 backed us in tonight and Robbo even used some of my words.
    Which ones in particular?

Dur. Um. You know. No. I don't know. Nah. I love James Hird.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes azabob, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile, the little old Sanfl has two different matches on this Friday. I'll be going to one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not really worried about the short comings of clubs like Carlton, Essendon or any other.
    The concern for me is that we are given Good Friday but only attract a crowd of sub 30K which I just don't think that is going to cut it.
    We play entertaining and exciting footy but I still think our own supporters don't believe they're needed at the games.
    If we were to draw 40K it might build some momentum though.

North are also strong at the moment so if we can both attract a crowd that would be great.
    I don't care what clubs like Carlton do either, but I do object to being told we need to be more like clubs like Carlton when they're fresh off the back of their 3rd Friday night game at the MCG for the month against Collingwood, meanwhile we've just played GWS at Etihad on a Sunday twilight to make it our 8th home game for the season against a non-Melbourne based team. The difference in crowd figures in like for like fixtures is massively overstated, it's just the AFL fixtures the competition to ensure none of their minnows get to prove that.

Don't give someone a teaspoon and then tell them off for not moving as much dirt as the guy you gave a bulldozer. Only a sport as insular as the AFL that's covered by a media that openly barrack for their own team could allow such an obvious contradiction to become fact.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'll be interested to see our attendance this weekend with another difficult Easter time slot to deal with against yet again, a low drawing interstate club that we've been ordinary against in recent times.

If there was a 1pm Easter Sunday game against Freo we should draw a decent crowd to it's this one.
    Still tossing up whether I drive from camping at Taggerty for the game.

We really do get shafted at Easter. But hey, lets reward two of the more better performed teams of the last 15 years in Carlton and Richmond with their now 5 year old traditional season opener on the Thursday night before Good Friday. Makes sense.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Still tossing up whether I drive from camping at Taggerty for the game.
    Its only a two hour drive to Etihad and then three back with the grid lock

I haven't been to an Easter game for ages, but this year I gave up going to Thredbo to do some hiking. I can't wait.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

KB says the Dogs & Kangas should get Good Friday game.
    https://audioboom.com/boos/4492610-k...d-friday-footy
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

12. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If both clubs can sell Friday night out, that's a big legitimate claim for the game.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to see the current AFL administration not giving it to Carlton. I think ideally they'd like to give it to Essendon and Carlton but they probably realise they couldn't get away with it without a backlash given their current states. So expect it'll be Carlton vs Norf or us with Norf probably more likely.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's hard to see the current AFL administration not giving it to Carlton. I think ideally they'd like to give it to Essendon and Carlton but they probably realise they couldn't get away with it without a backlash given their current states. So expect it'll be Carlton vs Norf or us with Norf probably more likely.
    The only problem is if the game coincides with the opening round Richmond vs Carlton. I've been binge watching House of Cards and was thinking Brayshaw publicly saying it should be North vs Carlton is a ploy to cosy up to them and the AFEL knowing if there's a clash and it doesn't happen. They get some brownie points and it ends up North vs Dogs. They get the game still, but bank up points with 'a big club' and the AFEL. Typical Underwood move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The only problem is if the game coincides with the opening round Richmond vs Carlton. I've been binge watching House of Cards and was thinking Brayshaw publicly saying it should be North vs Carlton is a ploy to cosy up to them and the AFEL knowing if there's a clash and it doesn't happen. They get some brownie points and it ends up North vs Dogs. They get the game still, but bank up points with 'a big club' and the AFEL. Typical Underwood move.
    I think maybe you should take a break from House of Cards for a bit.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think maybe you should take a break from House of Cards for a bit.
    That's what Francis Urqhart or Frank Underwood would say...