Thanks Thanks:  49
Likes Likes:  99
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Future Father/Sons

ESPN's Knightmare put his May power rankings up a few hours ago on ESPN. It's similar to a phantom draft of sorts, he places Rhylee at 18 (ergo, first rounder):

18. Rhylee West (VIC - Western Bulldogs F/S)
    Best position: Inside midifeld
    Height, weight: 180cm, 80kg
    Recruited from: Calder Cannons
    Projected draft range: 10-40
    Similar to: Nathan Jones (FFS, Surely it's Scott West)
    April ranking: 19
    Rationale: Hard, ball-winning midfielder with production on the board. Strong performance against North Melbourne's VFL side sees West's stocks rise.
    Strengths:
    -Strong body
    -Contested ball-winning
    -Composure with ball in hand
    -Tackling
    -Vision
    -Reliable ball user
    -Midfielder who can push forward
    -Acceleration

Weaknesses:
    -Height
    -X-factor

(I couldn't access a Hun story on Rhylee from a few days ago, so if anyone can...)

A few different sources place him in the first round now. Just as long as our first pick is before the first nomination on him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I now it's not a FS, but we will have way too many threads following who may or may not be fast tracked to us:

Buku's last game in the TAC:

#38 Buku Khamis – The Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy member played as a tall defender, often matched up on Dragons forward James Rendell. Khamis marked well overhead, clunking seven marks for the match and was able to intercept at crucial times, when the Dragons bombed the ball deep (especially in the second and third quarters). He was involved in the play early in the match, with some real positive signs that haven’t consistently been there all season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rhylee West

RHYLEE West says he is unfazed by the pressure to emulate his famous father’s AFL exploits as he chases a career at the top level.

The son of Western Bulldogs champion Scott West, Rhylee trained at Whitten Oval during pre-season and is expected to be snapped up as a father-son selection at this year’s AFL national draft.

A tough inside midfielder, Rhylee’s playing style has inevitably been compared to his dad’s.

“There is a bit of pressure,” Rhylee said.

“But I just sweep it off and don’t really put too much pressure on myself to be as good as he was.

“Because obviously he was a great player. I just take it in my stride.”

Rhylee was eight when his dad played the last of his 324 games in the red, white and blue, accumulating seven Charles Sutton medals and five All-Australian selections during a storied career.

“I remember sitting in the crèche and watching him on TV and sometimes going out on the ground with him,” he said.

“Having him as my dad is probably one of the greatest advantages I have.”

The Strathmore junior was limited to five TAC Cup appearances for Calder Cannons last year by injury and school football commitments at St Kevin’s.

West, who stands at 180cm and weighs 81kg, gave Western Bulldogs supporters a taste of what is to come in Round 2 this season.

The 17-year-old collected 29 disposals, four marks and laid six tackles against Eastern Ranges in a best-afield display.

“Last year was a bit unfortunate with the foot injury,” he said. “But this year has started off strong and hopefully I can carry that throughout the whole year.”

The physical on-baller relishes contested footy with the same enthusiasm his father did, averaging four tackles per game in his first TAC Cup campaign last year.

“I see some of his highlights and it is some of the stuff I try and do out on the field,” West said. “I can definitely see why people compare us.”

West has two strong role models to learn from as he prepares for the next step, fellow Calder Cannons father-son selections Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore.

The AFL pair forged the same path West is set to embark on after their fathers Steve (261 games) and Tony (283 matches) enjoyed long careers with the Bulldogs.

“We didn’t really speak directly about it but I guess it is sort of just implied,” Rhylee said. “Mitch has dealt with it well and so has Libba. Hopefully I can emulate that.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but there's a kid playing for my son's U14 team, Flemington Colts who is a FREAK.

Last week against West Footscray at the start of the game, he grabs the ball from the centre bounce, runs past every one eludes a couple of chasers by putting on the afterburners, breaks a tackle and kicks a goal from about 35 meters out. This is all in the first 5 seconds of the game. Everyone in the crowd was just gobsmacked. People from both sides were actually laughing incredulously. (me included). He does this kind of thing all the time. At the moment he just gets the ball and keeps running and bouncing and breaking tackles and doesn't know when to stop. When he gets a bit calmer and more savvy he'll be unstoppable. And he's TALL. he's not one of those zippy little kids, he's just a big strong pure sprinter. Nice kid too.

His name is Noah Hopman, and he has an interesting background, which makes me think he MAY be eligible for our academy if he's in our zone. I think he lives in Kensington.

He's adopted and clearly looks to be Melanesian. He looks like he could be from New Guinea or the Solomon Islands. The only information I can get out of my son is that his adoptive parents 'found' him in a park in a basket?!?

But he doesn't know where.

Anyway..........if anyone here can tip off the right person at the club............he's one to follow up

Monique Conti was the last footballer I raved about 'discovering' on this site. Noahs a whole 'nother level of athleticism.

7. Thanks Twodogs, bulldogtragic, N/A, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes Doggy, boydogs, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Not sure if this is the place to post this, but there's a kid playing for my son's U14 team, Flemington Colts who is a FREAK.

Last week against West Footscray at the start of the game, he grabs the ball from the centre bounce, runs past every one eludes a couple of chasers by putting on the afterburners, breaks a tackle and kicks a goal from about 35 meters out. This is all in the first 5 seconds of the game. Everyone in the crowd was just gobsmacked. People from both sides were actually laughing incredulously. (me included). He does this kind of thing all the time. At the moment he just gets the ball and keeps running and bouncing and breaking tackles and doesn't know when to stop. When he gets a bit calmer and more savvy he'll be unstoppable. And he's TALL. he's not one of those zippy little kids, he's just a big strong pure sprinter. Nice kid too.

His name is Noah Hopman, and he has an interesting background, which makes me think he MAY be eligible for our academy if he's in our zone. I think he lives in Kensington.

He's adopted and clearly looks to be Melanesian. He looks like he could be from New Guinea or the Solomon Islands. The only information I can get out of my son is that his adoptive parents 'found' him in a park in a basket?!?

Anyway..........if anyone here can tip off the right person at the club............he's one to follow up

Monique Conti was the last footballer I raved about 'discovering' on this site. Noahs a whole 'nother level of athleticism.
    Be interesting to watch as he gets into under 16/18s that's when other players tend to catch up. Sounds like he is ripe for rugby league, does he play any other sport ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He's Brian Royals long lost son, they drove home from the hospital about 14 years ago and he fell out of the back of the car and haven't seen him since, im so glad you found him! - Wait that makes him eligible for a FS right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    He's Brian Royals long lost son, they drove home from the hospital about 14 years ago and he fell out of the back of the car and haven't seen him since, im so glad you found him! - Wait that makes him eligible for a FS right?
    Oh yeah. I remember Choco talking about it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Thanks for the reminder this thread is about Father sons.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fathers and sons: Who's on the radar?

WESTERN BULLDOGS

On the horizon: Rhylee West, the son of five-time All Australian and seven-time club champion Scott West, is draft eligible this year and rugged midfielder is likely to end up at Whitten Oval as the club's latest father-son recruit. The Calder Cannons product could attract a bid in the top 20 in November's NAB AFL Draft, due to his contested-ball ability and aerial prowess. The only knock on the AFL Academy member is his kicking can be hit and miss. With a few similar types to West on their list, the Dogs have shown in the past they'll overlook sons of guns (Darcy MacPherson and Jayden Foster) if they don't measure up.

Watch list: There are more than 30 potential father-sons who could follow in their fathers' footsteps, and several available in the coming seasons. Tom Liberatore's brother Oliver is impressing at the Calder Cannons and is draft eligible next year. Former ruckman Luke Darcy's oldest boy Sam is 14 and already over six feet tall and could become a third-generation Bulldog, while West has two twin boys, Cooper and Kobi, impressing in junior footy ahead of the 2022 draft. Leon Cameron could be coaching against his son Harry if he's still at the helm of Greater Western Sydney in 2024. And recently retired club Matthew Boyd's infant son James could be in the 2034 talent pool.

Past father-son successes: While VFL legend Ted Whitten was a hard act to follow, Ted jnr was a solid contributor with 133 goals in 144 games. Former captain Luke Darcy was a 200-gamer and All Australian after his father David played 133 games for the club. While Tom Liberatore might not have won a Brownlow Medal like his dad Tony, he has won a club best and fairest. Current Bulldogs Lachie Hunter and Mitch Wallis have also been great servants like their fathers Mark and Steve.

13. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog4life, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Fathers and sons: Who's on the radar?

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Former ruckman Luke Darcy's oldest boy Sam is 14 and already over six feet tall and could become a third-generation Bulldog.
    Wouldn't that be great. Some of us on here probably remember Dave Darcy, I was only young but he was one of my favourites. Played many games for Victoria, and rarely had big scores kicked on him in the era where FF was king. Again an underrated player and rarely spoken about by dickhead media people, and in my opinion one of the best Fullbacks in his era.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wouldn't that be great. Some of us on here probably remember Dave Darcy, I was only young but he was one of my favourites. Played many games for Victoria, and rarely had big scores kicked on him in the era where FF was king. Again an underrated player and rarely spoken about by dickhead media people, and in my opinion one of the best Fullbacks in his era.
    Was one of my heroes. He was a spectacular kick in my then young mind.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Kangas zone, but feel free to keep it quiet chief!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Move him to West Footscray. I've got a spare room.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks for the reminder this thread is about Father sons.
    I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant, but is their a separate thread for our academy players?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant, but is their a separate thread for our academy players?
    DD you can find one here