Thanks Thanks:  49
Likes Likes:  99
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Future Father/Sons

Son of a gun aims to follow father's footsteps

HAVING a 324-game Western Bulldogs champion as your father certainly has its perks.

For Vic Metro midfielder Rhylee West, the advice his dad Scott has given him across his football career has him in a position where the Bulldogs are considering him as a father-son selection in November's NAB AFL Draft.

And he couldn't thank his dad – a seven-time best and fairest winner at the Dogs – enough for his guidance.

"I've got a special opportunity where my dad is my coach. Every bloke hopefully has a dad that's their coach, but mine's a bit different in that he played 324 games and he doesn't let me forget it," Rhylee West told AFL.com.au.

"That's not something that every kid's dad gets to do. And his teachings are from the best and that's why I've excelled so much and become the player I am today because of that."

When you watch Rhylee West play, it's difficult not to see the similarities between father and son.

Like the Bulldogs' champion No.7, the younger West is an inside midfielder who thrives on winning contested ball and burrowing down to the bottom of packs to feed the footy out to teammates.

West, who stands at 180cm and 80kg, has averaged 25.3 disposals and 6.3 clearances across the Under-18 Championships and been a key part of Metro's midfield mix.

Rhylee has fond memories of his dad's decorated career at the Kennel and the time where he had the opportunity to run out on the ground for his father's 300th AFL match against West Coast in Perth in 2006.

"I was only a little tacker but I still remember snippets of dad's career here and there," West said.
    "It's exciting to think what might be coming for me."

The Calder Cannons product admits he would love to join the Bulldogs at season's end, but if it doesn't happen, for whatever reason, he's just as happy to go elsewhere so long as he definitely gets picked in the Draft.

"It's a great opportunity to go to the club that I've barracked for my whole life," West said about the prospect of joining the Bulldogs.

"At the end of the day, it's all about getting drafted. Whether that's the Dogs, down the Coast in Geelong or whether it's in Perth or any other club, it doesn't bother me as long as I'm on an AFL list at the end of this year."

West and his Vic Metro teammates are set to do battle in a grudge match against fellow unbeaten side South Australia in the final round of the 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday – a game that will decide the Under-18 title.

Vic Metro is chasing its third successive under-18 crown and West said the stakes are high.
    "There's definitely a rivalry between Victoria and South Australia," West said.

"They're (South Australia) a great side and they've got a lot of talent. We're pretty happy to be here and in the position that we are, so hopefully we can match it with them."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-1...nd-two-results

Western Australia 14.13 (97) def Vic Metro 2.13 (25)

GOALS
    Western Australia: McDonald, George, Allen, Cartwright, Daly, Jetta, Trew, Walker
    Vic Metro: Park, Tucker

BEST
    Western Australia: Yaccob, McDonald, Grainger-Barras, Walker, Johnson, Trew
    Vic Metro: Edwards, Downie, Major, MacPherson, Phillips, Park

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have heard good things about MacPherson recently from someone who seemed to know a bit. One to watch very closely so I'm told.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Levi West named best afield in the EDFL Div 1 Under 14’s Grand Final for Strathmore v Aberfeldie.

6. Thanks SquirrelGrip, Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see Jax Cooney got a Geelong Falcons jumper yesterday, Does anyone know anything about him?
    Last edited by angelopetraglia; 20-03-2024 at 09:56 AM.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I see Jax Cooney got a Geelong Falcons jumper yesterday, Does anyone know anything about him?
    The limited amount I know about Jax is that he's looking like he'll have the ability for AFL level and likely be drafted in the 2025 draft. He plays very differently to his old man. Jaxon plays mostly as a full forward with some stints around the ball, and has shown quite a bit doing so. He's quite tall I believe (190+). He's a strong prospect by all accounts, so will be interesting to see if that plays out or not over the next 2 years. Ironically we could have another gun key forward on our hands after all those years without one!

10. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    The limited amount I know about Jax is that he's looking like he'll have the ability for AFL level and likely be drafted in the 2025 draft. He plays very differently to his old man. Jaxon plays mostly as a full forward with some stints around the ball, and has shown quite a bit doing so. He's quite tall I believe (190+). He's a strong prospect by all accounts, so will be interesting to see if that plays out or not over the next 2 years. Ironically we could have another gun key forward on our hands after all those years without one!
    Thank you. Insightful. Will follow with interest.

Post Thanks / Like

(St Josephs FC)

Levi West
    Calder Cannons Under 16 squad (Strathmore FC)

Post Thanks / Like

Not to hi-jack the topic. Say both boys are 2026. Say they cost top picks. Then we should trade the next two Future Firsts to get into the first rounds before then, then stick up on middling picks to buy them cheaply.

So the rolling five years (on top of Marra & Darcy as top 2 recent picks) is Buss, Clarke, Gags, Sanders, Croft et al, two first rounders brought forward and later picks and then in 2026 West & Cooney without even considering anyone leaving. That should mean we have no issue with getting talent. Just developing them and keeping them.

Then listen to how if West lived in the other side of the street and Cooney played more games, Essendon should’ve had both kids and how they’ve been robbed again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

(St Josephs FC)

Levi West
    Calder Cannons Under 16 squad (Strathmore FC)
    Here's some fun maths for us. Standard clay bricks are 76mm high, with common mortar bed depths of 10mm. Jaxon stands somewhere between 22 and 22.5 bricks tall by my count, which puts him somewhere between (22x86mm) = 189.2cm and (22.5*86) = 193.5cm tall.

16. Thanks angelopetraglia, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma, DadBod, my plums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    Here's some fun maths for us. Standard clay bricks are 76mm high, with common mortar bed depths of 10mm. Jaxon stands somewhere between 22 and 22.5 bricks tall by my count, which puts him somewhere between (22x86mm) = 189.2cm and (22.5*86) = 193.5cm tall.
    He played in our NGA game last year. I’m pretty sure the comments around it was he was about 190cm. I guess the question is whether he keeps growing into something out and out KPP. Or is the modern tall midfielder in a couple of seasons. Then where the Falcons and his junior team want to play him going forward and whether we have any input.

From memory he played all over the ground in that game and stood out across the ground. There was a video with Dave Newton a couple of years back and Cooney was training at the club with other FS. Whilst I’m pretty well certain Levi West will cost a bit, Cooney’s development will be really interesting. Hopefully he becomes just a bigger version of his dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He played in our NGA game last year. I’m pretty sure the comments around it was he was about 190cm. I guess the question is whether he keeps growing into something out and out KPP. Or is the modern tall midfielder in a couple of seasons. Then where the Falcons and his junior team want to play him going forward and whether we have any input.

From memory he played all over the ground in that game and stood out across the ground. There was a video with Dave Newton a couple of years back and Cooney was training at the club with other FS. Whilst I’m pretty well certain Levi West will cost a bit, Cooney’s development will be really interesting. Hopefully he becomes just a bigger version of his dad.
    What is the word on West? How does he stack up compared to his brother?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    What is the word on West? How does he stack up compared to his brother?
    I’ve posted a fair bit on him in a similar thread over the longer term. Could be the best West is the youngest. He’s a very exciting prospect.

20. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a photo of Jax with his parents on insta holding up the Falcons top and he's taller than the old man (think Adam is about 187cm?), and still only 15 so absolutely more growing in him, so i'm tipping another 192/193cm mid come draft time in a few years.

Have seen limited video of Levi and he's more a natural mid than Rhylee, just a beast with repeat efforts, not too sure what the skills are like but tough as nails, early days i know but wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 10 prospect.

22. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    There is a photo of Jax with his parents on insta holding up the Falcons top and he's taller than the old man (think Adam is about 187cm?), and still only 15 so absolutely more growing in him, so i'm tipping another 192/193cm mid come draft time in a few years.

Have seen limited video of Levi and he's more a natural mid than Rhylee, just a beast with repeat efforts, not too sure what the skills are like but tough as nails, early days i know but wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 10 prospect.
    Wasnt there some word tho that he was off the club after his dad spat the dummy two seasons ago with how Rylee was being treated?