Thanks Thanks:  49
Likes Likes:  99
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Future Father/Sons

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    In the last H&A game, Peter Wright kicked 4 alongside Fossie. You know, we are half a chance to get Wright with pick 5/6 and Fossie under F/S. Suddenly you've then got two quality young KPF's to watch develop through the Footscray VFL side and the WB side over the next couple of years as the senior midfielders continue to come of age.

If we don't get Wright, we could go for Durdin. Same net result. Then we have two more years of development and a genuinely well structured young list taking shape. The last thing I want to see is panic whereby we start getting over priced mid 20's speculative duds..
    We need to make this happen. Although i dont think it will with pick 5 or 6. Will need to trade down to 2 or 3. I think Melbourne getting pick 3 through compensation helps this cause a bit so we may hope this happens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How is Luke Kennedy travelling for the Canons?
    I don't personally have any idea, but he has only played 2 games for the year as an over-age player so it doesn't look like he will be drafted any time soon.

Josh Wallis has only played 4 games this season, not sure what the story is with him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't personally have any idea, but he has only played 2 games for the year as an over-age player so it doesn't look like he will be drafted any time soon.

Josh Wallis has only played 4 games this season, not sure what the story is with him?
    Not a surprising comment i'm saying now, but I don't think either Kennedy or Wallis will get drafted. Cannons have been the best team in my book so there is competition for spots, but neither did much on the stat sheets in the games.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Foster is talked down a bit by some due to the fact that he's an overaged player in that comp... However, let's put that into perspective, he's 7 weeks over age... That's nothing.

In racing terms, we have as good an understanding of this colt's bloodlines as anyone in the world. His father was a late bloomer and his father was also a star. (Robbed of two more years by a disgraceful Paul Dear foot trip/kick which broke his leg... But that's another discussion..)

We're in a position where the son of a former champion of the club is the dominant goal kicker of the TAC Cup, is a 6ft 4 and a half inch power forward and is available to us under Father/Son. It's a no-brainer. At the very least, he'll develop into a handy KP backman who can handle opposition monsters. We have to take Foster. If the kid was aligned to Collingwood or something, we'd be looking on in envy. Grab him!
    We also should take Cordy, btw. Hopefully one or the other with a late pick.
    Agree with what you're saying Webby. There can't be two more potential draftees this year that we know more about, and it's not as if they're being drafted just for the sake of lineage. Granted Foster has probaly won the goal kicking this year due to the competiton being involved in the Championships, but the fact is he spent last year more in the defensive half. He's switched to the forwardline and performed this year. He's a KP size and we shouldn't let him slip. The 'price' won't be more than a third rounder should another team want him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    The 'price' won't be more than a third rounder should another team want him.
    It will make a big difference to our drafting if Cordy isn't nominated before our 2nd round pick #24. That guarantees us getting Cordy with our 3rd rounder and Foster with our 4th
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    It will make a big difference to our drafting if Cordy isn't nominated before our 2nd round pick #24. That guarantees us getting Cordy with our 3rd rounder and Foster with our 4th
    If this is the case, should we not the. Delist a couple extra players to allow us more late draft selections? I'm keen to make the call on a couple of poor ball users, slow movers and smaller bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the case, should we not the. Delist a couple extra players to allow us more late draft selections? I'm keen to make the call on a couple of poor ball users, slow movers and smaller bodies.
    It depends on how we judge the draft depth. There's no point cutting deeply and using picks in the 90's if we think realistically they have no chance of becoming AFL footballers. Just adds more list cloggers to be cut in 2 or 3 years time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not a surprising comment i'm saying now, but I don't think either Kennedy or Wallis will get drafted. Cannons have been the best team in my book so there is competition for spots, but neither did much on the stat sheets in the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Wallis isn't available to be drafted until next year is he? So there's still time if he's good enough and wants it
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're to believe Macca today, we're only making 5 changes to the list, including 2 rookie upgrades
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

If you're to believe Macca today, we're only making 5 changes to the list, including 2 rookie upgrades
    If that is all he is prepared to do, he'll be one of the five.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

That would upset me. If he believes in his players, very good, but overestimating our list again could be a disaster. I'm not convinced any rookie is worth it, let alone two. That's so deflating to hear/read.....
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That would upset me. If he believes in his players, very good, but overestimating our list again could be a disaster. I'm not convinced any rookie is worth it, let alone two. That's so deflating to hear/read.....
    His appetite for changes seems to be non-existent. At the B&F tonight, "One thing is for sure, our improvement next year is going to come from inside this room, not outside of it"

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmmm.......tell him he's dreaming.

14. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I don't know look at Geelong, the public media etc wanted Thompson sacked one year, the next year he was a genius, I'm tending to think next year might be our come together year.
    Players will gel through another pre season and a few more games under the belt, look at our BNF last night , leaders all kids.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Foster is talked down a bit by some due to the fact that he's an overaged player in that comp... However, let's put that into perspective, he's 7 weeks over age... That's nothing.

In racing terms, we have as good an understanding of this colt's bloodlines as anyone in the world. His father was a late bloomer and his father was also a star. (Robbed of two more years by a disgraceful Paul Dear foot trip/kick which broke his leg... But that's another discussion..)

We're in a position where the son of a former champion of the club is the dominant goal kicker of the TAC Cup, is a 6ft 4 and a half inch power forward and is available to us under Father/Son. It's a no-brainer. At the very least, he'll develop into a handy KP backman who can handle opposition monsters. We have to take Foster. If the kid was aligned to Collingwood or something, we'd be looking on in envy. Grab him!

We also should take Cordy, btw. Hopefully one or the other with a late pick.
    Some compelling points there Webby.