Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne rebuild vs Bulldogs rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That's a difficult bunch to cover - but I'd argue Murphy is the only one we don't have a direct replacement for.

Cross & Boyd look fine with Smith, Libba & Wallis coming on (ignoring what Hrovat or Stevens may become)
    Gia - Dickson
    Morris - I may just be (happily) wrong about Young. Wood can play lock-down but gives up 2-3 inches to Morris even if he does play taller than his height.

A silky moving HF type would be fantastic - although Stringer looks set to play a high forward role anyway (Macrae has Murph's evasiveness but looks set to become a midfielder).

Personally I'd love us to look at adding rebounding HBFer to the list, remain unconvinced by Howard & Tutt in that role.
    Most of the players you have mentioned as the replacements are alreday in our best 22 so we need to cover them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Most of the players you have mentioned as the replacements are alreday in our best 22 so we need to cover them too.
    But surely that is part of the ongoing transition. Those younger players now in our best 22 will (hopefully) be the nucleus of a successful team over 7 to 10 years and provide the experience and mentoring for newer players as they come into the team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

There in the 22 but besides Murphy and Morris the others will be covered.
    The hit up forward target is going to be the hardest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    But surely that is part of the ongoing transition. Those younger players now in our best 22 will (hopefully) be the nucleus of a successful team over 7 to 10 years and provide the experience and mentoring for newer players as they come into the team.
    Exactly. Grant , West and Darcy were in our best 22 in 07.
    Fast forward 12 months all were replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Players stepping in tot he seniors without transition/guidance seems to be the Melbourne model that is not currently working for them. I'm happy with our development model.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I think this is what you're talking about. I'm looking forward to hearing Rohan's current thoughts seeing as the Tiger's mature recruits are playing two's and Melbourne's were horrendous.
    Looks a good call.
    Pedersen v Martin ( Martin's a better player)
    Moloney v Rodan ( no brainer)
    Gillies v Rivers( another no brainer)
    The in's are a lot worse than the outs

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the show and thought the same... If the shoe was on the other foot we would be the ones under the grill.

Yep, Melbourne were poor, but the re-builds of both teams can't be judged on one result.
    I agree with these comments. It really comes down to developing the right culture which is the task of Peter Gordon, Simon Garlick and Brendan McCartney. Geelong have been an outstanding example of this in recent years with good people in Frank Costa, Cook, Thompson and now Chris Scott leading the charge. We are all very excited after the first win over the Brisbane Lions. Saturday's encounter against Fremantle will be a better guide to where we might be heading.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a question mark over their fitness? Because it's a sport, and at the end of the day, you get that confidence in your body, when you've trained well and in your peripheral vision, see a bloke and think, no worries, I can take this guy on.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else watch the presser after Melbourne's latest drubbing?
    Gulping like a fish out of water, looking like he may burst into tears at any second. Very hard to watch.

I can't understand how the co-captaincy arrangement is supposed to work.
    When we were getting our arses handed to us last season, at least you could look at Matty Boyd and know for sure
    he wasn't going to come sulking off the field, or let anyone off the hook. A mature captain is what you want around a developing club.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Dead man walking
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Really feel for Neeld absolutely fantastic bloke and really well respected within the industry, just can't see how his position is tenable. The players just won't play for him but what's even more concerning is it appears they won't play for one another.

If Neeld goes I'd suggest Cameron Schwab would have to follow. There needs to be a complete culture shift within that footy club. It's a sorry state of affairs.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Really feel for Neeld absolutely fantastic bloke and really well respected within the industry, just can't see how his position is tenable. The players just won't play for him but what's even more concerning is it appears they won't play for one another.

If Neeld goes I'd suggest Cameron Schwab would have to follow. There needs to be a complete culture shift within that footy club. It's a sorry state of affairs.
    I'd be more inclined to leave Neeld in his role.

Sack Connolly, Schwab and not let G.Lyon near the place or have any decision making power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Is there a question mark over their fitness? Because it's a sport, and at the end of the day, you get that confidence in your body, when you've trained well and in your peripheral vision, see a bloke and think, no worries, I can take this guy on.
    When you're that much down on confidence/belief/trust in yourself and each other, it, doesn't matter how fit you are. That sort of feeling can be almost paralysing.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the Pre game speech by Neeld they looked down depressed and beaten before the game and Neeld didn't exactly come across up lifting and hopeful, to me it was a very very down looking place to be in.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'd be more inclined to leave Neeld in his role.

Sack Connolly, Schwab and not let G.Lyon near the place or have any decision making power.
    Lyon actually said yesterday he had no interest in being actively involved with the club and only did what he did because he couldn't say no to a great mate.