Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne rebuild vs Bulldogs rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I wouldn't be too quick to assume significant change in 2012 given North's assessment of Gysberts.

I also believe Neeld is on a hiding to nothing - Sheedy's comments about "getting the feeling they wanted a coach they could control" is telling.

Contrast this to B-Mac's approach. Some (many going on last year) may not agree with it, but there's little doubt B-Mac is doing things his way and not bending to the will of the board
    Garlick was on SEN just a minute ago saying something along the same lines. He was asked about how much Fantasia's exit would hurt and he eluded it wouldn't be too much given we have Graham and also because McCartney has so much experience and clear beliefs in how we should be doing things we won't be too impacted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Garlick was on SEN just a minute ago saying something along the same lines. He was asked about how much Fantasia's exit would hurt and he eluded it wouldn't be too much given we have Graham and also because McCartney has so much experience and clear beliefs in how we should be doing things we won't be too impacted.
    Is this perhaps a reason Fantasia has left? Had little influence over the footy department so started fishing around for another role?

Post Thanks / Like

Fantasia was recruited into the club to be the referee between Rose and Eade wasn't he?
    what I gathered Rodney was doing all the press stuff as well as coaching because Rose was trying to keep a lid on the finances.
    Also Rose was very tight on the actual football side of things frustrating Rocket.

We now have a CEO who played the game and understand that the football department needs looking after as well ,as we know Perer Gordon has stated more money will be put into
    The football department.
    Based on this I think Fantasias time was up with both the players he was bought in to work with are gone.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Great article on Melbourne from Tim Collins who runs a sports website

http://thesidelineagenda.com/2013/04...n-afl-rebuild/
    Thanks for the link BJ, enjoyed reading the article.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe
    Imagine there will be a lot of players clamoring to leave Melbourne at the end of the season.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Given we hired three people in the past 18 months to fulfil alot of Fantasia's role, do we even need a replacement?

A shuffling of responsibilities and another member of the support staff may suffice. Seems to be alot of positive talk about Ben Graham at the moment.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Given we hired three people in the past 18 months to fulfill alot of Fantasia's role, do we even need a replacement?

A shuffling of responsibilities and another member of the support staff may suffice. Seems to be alot of positive talk about Ben Graham at the moment.
    Could Ben Graham have been earmark to fill this role at some stage when he was appointed.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Given we hired three people in the past 18 months to fulfil alot of Fantasia's role, do we even need a replacement?

You still need to manage these people. Who do they report to? Who checks their accountability, reviews their performance etc. I think its too much for a coach (thats why Rocket couldn't cope with it without impacting his coaching role), its also too much for the CEO.

The football managers role is a very important role and can only be filled by a professional manager with a football club background. Has Ben Graham got these attributes? How would he go managing Macca, recruitment, contract negotiators, assistant coaches, medical staff, trainers, fitness staff etc etc.

Its a huge role and I believe was also beyond Fantasia, so lets look for some one with experience and knowledge of running a football club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Given the talent we have at the middle management level, I'm really excited to see who we are going to get. Someone from Geelong probably!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

At the very least someone like Graham could act as an interim manager while we do a thorough head-hunting expedition.

If it turns out Graham has the attributes to do the job and exceeds any other candidate we find, so be it.

Given he's such a recent arrival to the club I wouldn't exactly consider him an 'internal' candidate in the same way someone like Dalrymple might be viewed.

Perhaps Fantasia felt threatened by the talent below him...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You still need to manage these people. Who do they report to? Who checks their accountability, reviews their performance etc.
    The same person Fantasia reported to? If they're fulfilling the same function (albeit split three ways) we may not need to disrupt the structure too much.

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    At the very least someone like Graham could act as an interim manager while we do a thorough head-hunting expedition.

If it turns out Graham has the attributes to do the job and exceeds any other candidate we find, so be it.
    Anecdotally the NFL is the most professional sporting organisation in the world - that has to count in Graham's favour.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Another pathetic capitulation from Melbourne again, 84 points after half time. If they lose to GWS next week they may have to start rebuilding the rebuild of the rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

The same person Fantasia reported to? If they're fulfilling the same function (albeit split three ways) we may not need to disrupt the structure too much. .
    I don't understand what you have written? What I am saying is the staff that reported to Fantasia cannot simply now report directly to the CEO, it would be a shambles. You need a Football Manager with experience.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't understand what you have written? What I am saying is the staff that reported to Fantasia cannot simply now report directly to the CEO, it would be a shambles. You need a Football Manager with experience.
    It's probably one of the things that doesn't get focussed on about Fantasia's input, around here.

Whilst I'll always agree some contracts (and their management) overseen by Fantasia were too loose, he seemed to put a stop to some of the management issues at the club since his arrival. From what I can gather we're in a better position in the area under his control now, than when he started. Whether he gets the credit for that, or not, it's not up for me to decide but him going to a club with better resources than ours and ability to pay probably suggests he's got some strong points.

I don't think our next football manager needs to be a candidate with specific experience in the role, though some extreme diligence in recruiting somebody to such a necessary position needs to be maintained through the selection process to get the person we need.

Post Thanks / Like

I think fantasia has left due to Money and our list is in pretty much good shape where as hawthorns older list means in a couple of years they will be rebuilding as much as us and he will find himself in a much more secure job with a lot of new contracts to write up.
    Bring back the biff