FB – Brown, Rutten, Otten
    HB – Mackay, Talia, Reily
    C – Sloan, Thompson, Kerridge
    HF – Wright, Jenkins, Douglas
    F – Petrenko, Walker, Henderson
    Fol – Jacobs, Dangerfield, Crouch
    Int – Laird, Jaensch, Porplyzia, Lynch
    In – Laird, Kerridge, Lynch
    Out – Johncock (Om), Vince (Om), van Berlo (Inj)

Western Bulldogs (12th)

FB – Young, Roughead, Picken
    HB – Johannisen, Morris, Goodes
    C – MacRae, Boyd, Stevens
    HF – Griffen, Jones, Giansiracusa
    F – Tutt, Cordy, Dahlhaus
    Fol – Minson, Lower, Cooney
    In – Tutt, Johannisen, Cordy, Macrae, Stringer, Boyd
    Out – Wood (Inj), Smith (Om), Higgins (Inj), Murphy (Inj), Dickson (Inj), Campbell (Om)

Last Time They Met:

Round 2 2012, AAMI Stadium Adel 11.16.82 def WB 9.10.64

The Bulldogs took the game up to the crows throughout, though struggled to capitalise on their opportunities. Typically Thompson for the Crows and Boyd and Griffen for the Dogs accumulated possessions through the middle while Taylor Walker was the dominant goal kicker on the ground with a return of three in a fairly non-descript albeit reasonably tough early season game.

2013 Form:

Both teams could be described as being patchy, and in some cases a little underwhelming to be frank. Adelaide would have expected a more competitive first up encounter with Essendon to open the AFL season, though managed to put together a solid performance in round 2 against the Lions at the GABBA. Last week’s loss to Port Adelaide would have stung, and they’ll likely be revved up to atone for that in front of their home crowd. The Bulldogs after an impressive first round performance against Brisbane at home, where they were able to use the ball well, admittedly under little pressure, have declined over the last two weeks. While the effort was there against the Dockers the execution wasn’t, and it’s probably best the Bulldogs put the very poor effort of last week behind them and concentrate on being competitive for four quarters.

Key Match-ups:

Roughead versus Walker – In my opinion these guys are two of the games most promising young key position players, and on Sunday will form what will be the key match-up on the ground. Roughead will need plenty of assistance from his friends down back to keep Walker in check, though importantly the Bulldogs midfield must do as much as it can to stop the Crows moving the ball quickly and kicking into space giving Walker an advantage.

Lower versus Dangerfield – A huge test for Lower, facing off against one of the most exciting midfield quicks the game has produced in recent times. Like Roughead, Lower will need significant assistance from his team mates to curtail the influence of Dangerfield, who only needs a metre or so to gain an advantage and break clear of his marker. Dangerfield has an ability to get forward and score, and Lower must do all he can to ensure he keeps on his goal side.

Picken versus Petrenko - Liam has been a little disappointing since being played as a permanent defender, and will have his hands full with a forward who can sneak goal side very easily and capitalise on the mistakes of an oppositions’ defensive six. Whilst playing tight, Picken needs to ensure he uses the ball effectively when he gets it, as his opponent has the smarts to find space easily and capitalise on turnovers.

Jones versus Talia – If the Bulldogs are to have any chance Liam Jones needs to improve on his more consistent effort of last week. He’ll be marked very closely by Talia, who is making a name for himself as a key defender of note. Jones needs to ensure his effort remains constant throughout the game, and cannot afford to waste any opportunity to convert the Bulldogs good work. With Rutten manning Cordy, the Bulldogs will struggle to find a viable contested marking target up forward if Jones is quiet.

Summary:

Looking at each forward line I struggle to see this being a high scoring spectacle. The Bulldogs midfield needs to play responsible and accountable football, where the ball isn’t wasted through poor decision making and shonky disposal. Simply, if the Bulldogs midfield doesn’t come to play Adelaide will run riot across the ground and provide its forward line which, Walker aside, isn’t that impressive on paper and quite stoppable.

Cooney and Griffen will need to have big influences on the game, as in many cases contests across the ground almost cancel each other out from a class perspective. Rory Sloane will need to be minded carefully on one wing, and I’d be inclined to start Stevens on him rather than first gamer Jack MacRae who was also named on a Bulldogs wing.

Special mention must go to Jake Stringer and Jackson MacRae in their first games for the Bulldogs. I’ve not been as convinced of the pure football ability of our top first round draft picks as I am with these two, since we drafted Shaun Higgins in 2005. Let’s hope they can get through the game injury free, and with a Bulldogs win.

Prediction:

If the Bulldogs can keep Adelaide’s run and ability to score in check over the first three quarters they’re not without a chance however, the loss of Murphy, Dickson and Higgins has severely hampered their ability to score. At home and smarting immediately after a loss to their cross town rivals, I fear the Crows might be a touch too strong in a tight one.

Adelaide by 13 Points
    Last edited by jeemak; 20-04-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 4 Preview - Adelaide Crows vs Western Bulldogs

Great write up Jeemak !!

If this game was being played in Melbourne, I would give us a chance. I just think the Crows will be too strong in Adelaide. Their outs are big, ours are bigger.

Looking forward to watching Macrae and Stringer run around in the big league.

Agree with your prediction ... Adelaide by a couple !!
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JM

Great write up. I hope our mids have their goal kicking boots on. Thompson's stocks seem to be a bit down these days don't they?
    Picken in the backline again. Not sure what the MC is thinking. I'd sooner have Tutt down there.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jeemak great write up. I thought you would have written this up after midnight like all your posts

Dangerfield is a tough midfielder and will be hard to stop. Who will pick up Taylor Walker?

Will be interesting to watch the two debutants, I think Stringer will start on the ground and be subbed off and replaced by Tutt.

Can't see us winning but just hope we are competitive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Jeemak.
    Very inexperienced side, and to be honest I think we'll get pantsed.
    Gotta be competitive this week.
    Dale Morris for Taylor Bogan and Roughy for Jenkins( has the most contested marks in the comp)

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy to Jenkins and Morris to walker is the way to go. Walker is strong so Morris will have his work cut out for him.

Boyd cooney and Griffen need to fire and we need the big guys Cordy and jones to bring the ball to ground. Tutt is very quick as is dahlhaus so they will provide some forward pressure. Think we can actually win this if we start off strong and kick straight.

Jones to kick 3 with gia kicking 2.

Dangerfield will end
    [B]I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. [/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Woofers.

BAD - I planned to have this up as soon as the teams were finalised, potentially earlier. Mental note RE the after midnight posting, if it's becoming noticeable it's probably too much!

Happy to be given more feedback on the Crows, to be honest it was a tough week uni and work wise so I didn't get to do a great deal of research on them, and not having watched a lot of non-Bulldogs games last year I'm a bit behind in terms of their developing players. I did see their game last week against Port over a few red wines and a roast dinner (after a number of beers), and the lasting impression I got was they were ordinary.

Appreciate people calling for Roughead on Jenkins. I suppose I just want him to play on the best KPF's for his development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Cheers Woofers.

BAD - I planned to have this up as soon as the teams were finalised, potentially earlier. Mental note RE the after midnight posting, if it's becoming noticeable it's probably too much!

Happy to be given more feedback on the Crows, to be honest it was a tough week uni and work wise so I didn't get to do a great deal of research on them, and not having watched a lot of non-Bulldogs games last year I'm a bit behind in terms of their developing players. I did see their game last week against Port over a few red wines and a roast dinner (after a number of beers), and the lasting impression I got was they were ordinary.

Appreciate people calling for Roughead on Jenkins. I suppose I just want him to play on the best KPF's for his development.
    Hey, Jeemak you did a good job and much appreciated, I was havinga little joke.

Small thing, one of your headings should read 2013 Form, not 2012.

The only reason I am going for Adelaide is that they are prelim finalists from last year, otherwise, I think they have been ordinary this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, thanks for the tummy rub brother.

Correction noted, and appropriate change made.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are in with a chance this afternoon as Adelaide haven't been in the best of form lately and they have a few out as well. Over at AAMI its always going to be tougher. If it rains who will it favour more?

Post Thanks / Like

Younger players are more easily pushed off the ball in the wet. Not sure that applies to Stringer, however.
    If we do win, it will be a massive upset. On a positive note, we have a good record at that ground, IIRC
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Younger players are more easily pushed off the ball in the wet. Not sure that applies to Stringer, however.
    If we do win, it will be a massive upset. On a positive note, we have a good record at that ground, IIRC
    If it is rainy and wet the smaller players will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ayce Cordy won't.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Ayce Cordy won't.....
    Definitely not in the wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    If it is rainy and wet the smaller players will like it.
    After being a cracker of a day yesterday here, it hasn't stopped raining this morning and doesn't look be improving either