Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brendan McCartney tells players to be bold against Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think Roughead was moved because Taylor was killing him.
    Really? Two marks and two goals is killing him? One goal was a cheapy in the square and the other two were on Dale and Austin.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the past two years we have been lower on the ladder and we get to pick the better players before others do. From 2008 to 2010 our first rounds picks were not till the teens.
    It does get harder when your first rounder is in the teens. Probably why many have an issue with the recruitment of Howard, who was out of the blue when there were safer bets available and Howard would have been around at our second round pick in all likelihood.

We need to really capitalise on the lower table finishes at the draft table. If we don't a scenario of oblivion isn't too far off the horizon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Really? Two marks and two goals is killing him? One goal was a cheapy in the square and the other two were on Dale and Austin.
    It was more than two marks, it was at least four. Why else do you think we would move Roughead when he is being groomed for fullback?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It was more than two marks, it was at least four. Why else do you think we would move Roughead when he is being groomed for fullback?
    Interesting as watching the replay I only saw two on Roughead specifically.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theimmortalmike View Post
    Interesting as watching the replay I only saw two on Roughead specifically.
    OK, on marks you could be right, I am going on memory, however, what I am saying is Roughead was killed in the backline and had to be moved.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Based on McCartney's formula for success, it isn't about having the best talent spotter. It is about developing a team first ethos and recruiting quality people who will adhere to that ethos. Then out of that culture, champion players will emerge. It raises a chicken and egg scenario. Did the recruiter make the team, or did the team make the recruiter?

I am actually a disciple of Macca's philosophy. I am not demeaning the work of Stephen Wells, but I believe that the more important ingredient was the culture of the club.

Of course the father/son selections didn't hurt either.
    Sydney will back that argument up for you.