Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Callan?

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Callan?

OK I have heard his name mentioned quite a number of times to be linked to the Bulldogs is there any real solid reports on this. I have not seen or read a thing?

And if so what kind of player is he? Never heard of him, well I may have I may not have took notice though

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tim Callan?

Good questions - and has anyone here actually seen him play?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I have more then a few times. Although to be fair not a lot this season. I've actually played with him on 3 or 4 times when he was in year 12 and i was in year 10 on pre-season tour of Adelaide. As a junior he was good....but i've played with and against better. Its hard to remember if guys were just jealous, but i remember a few people saying he would not have been noticed if Geelong weren't tracking him for a F/S(Also see Tim Clarke and David Clarke)

He's a midfielder, don't be fooled in to thinking he's a backman. In my opinion he plays he's best footy in the center or wings, as long as he is being accountable for a player. Doesn't sound encouraging? Well its not all doom and gloom, he's a skillful player that isn't afraid of a contest. But he's a light weight. At 181cm and a couple of grams over 80kg he's not going to bust through lines from the defensive 50.

At first i was very skeptical of the dogs going after him, as some of my posts on a nameless site might suggest. HE IS EXCESS AT GEELONG, and its very hard for them to cut a list that goes so deep. He's to good to delist, but at 24 and played only 15 games of AFL his days were numbered at Geelong.

But i'm changing my tune a little. If we get him cheaply then why not. He showed some good form in the VFL winning the Geelong B&F in a team that won the flag and finishing highly(2nd or 3rd?) in the Liston Medal. He would be a good depth player, and could find himself with a full time best 22 spot if McMahon leaves and Eagleton is over looked for games in 2008.

But one can't help but feel we have another Power, Birss, Faulkner on our hands...by that i mean, pretty handy. But premiership playing handy???? Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    OK I have heard his name mentioned quite a number of times to be linked to the Bulldogs is there any real solid reports on this. I have not seen or read a thing?

And if so what kind of player is he? Never heard of him, well I may have I may not have took notice though
    I read the article that indicated that we were having talks with him so to some extent it has some validity. You never know how these things pan out though. I'd like to get him via the PSD if that is in anyway possible but other than that it should just be an exhange of 3rd round selections.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will get him and he will be a good option for us as an interchange player.His best position might be as a small defender which will allow Gilbs to move to a wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Not long now guys. What time does it kick off tomorrow? 9?, 10am?

Will we get a deal done in the opening minute like last year?

Post Thanks / Like

10.30 at telstra dome. Hopefully the hudson deal is done today.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont expect any deals will formally be done today with Mainwarings funeral and all. Just out of respect.

Expect a big day of signings tomorrow though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borgy View Post
    Expect a big day of signings tomorrow though
    I doubt it.

I suspect there will be about 5-8 trades completed all up.

1 or 2 on Wednesday. 1 on Thursday. The rest on Friday.
    W00F!

Davo066 Guest

Tim Callan

Understand Tim Callan is headed for Whitten Oval next season with only the details of the transaction to be sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Threads merged.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Cat Callan to become a Dog
    3:21 PM Tue 9 October, 2007 | Back

By Ben Broad,
    http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/New...x?newsId=52322
    Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

News
    GEELONG'S best and fairest winner from its VFL premiership side, Tim Callan, is headed for Whitten Oval next season.

Callan, who joined the club in 2002 under the father-son rule, will join the Western Bulldogs after the Cats’ recruiting manager Stephen Wells confirmed the two clubs had agreed on the transfer, with only the details of the transaction to be sorted.

“The two clubs and Tim have all agreed that Tim will be playing for the Bulldogs but we haven’t finalised exactly what the deal will be yet,” Wells said.

Meanwhile, Wells said “nothing had progressed” in relation to the futures of key ruckmen Mark Blake and Steven King, both of whom Geelong is keen to retain the services of in 2008.

It seems AFL clubs have been busy knocking on the Cats’ door early in trade week, given the club’s unprecedented run of success this year.

Callan, who played just 15 matches from limited opportunities in his time at Skilled Stadium, is the first Cat to depart the club in search of more game time at senior level.

And the Cats hope there won’t be many more in coming days, despite rival clubs’ increasing interest.

“There’s a bit of interest in quite a lot of our players but most of them we’re hoping still play for Geelong Football Club (next year),” Wells said.

While the Cats’ ruckmen have been in the spotlight as clubs queue up for a reliable ruckman, other prominent Cats to have their names mentioned during trade week include Kane Tenace, Brent Prismall, Charlie Gardiner and Henry Playfair.

“Tim (Callan) certainly is going to another club but at the moment all the other guys we’re hoping will be playing at Geelong,” Wells said.

“If there is an opportunity for them at another AFL club, well then certainly we’ll consider that.”

Post Thanks / Like

Yep so now we needa make a deal with the cats now we have Callan nearly transferred.

What are they gunna want? Pick #22? (Which we denied Adelaide getting lol)

Or someone like Sam Power, straight swap?

Post Thanks / Like

So is this a good thing? A shorter quicker middley sort of guy?
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    So is this a good thing? A shorter quicker middley sort of guy?
    I think so. From the Geelong supporters I know they rate him as a hard at it and committed defender who can also play a bit in the midfield.
    I'm not sure if he is regarded as quick but he isn't slow.
    Bulldog Pride will never die