Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: End of Season - Trade Targets

I think it's time to start looking at players Gold Coast and GWS have been developing for 2-3 years. They won't be able to keep them all.

Dion Prestia, Brendan Matera, Devon Smith - Would happily take any of these

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    I think it's time to start looking at players Gold Coast and GWS have been developing for 2-3 years. They won't be able to keep them all.

Dion Prestia, Brendan Matera, Devon Smith - Would happily take any of these
    Yes look at the Victorians and entice them back
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes look at the Victorians and entice them back
    May be harder than thought to entice the GWS kids, Sheedy and his team have seemed to have been quite smart by recruiting kids who played together and are familiar with each other.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

From the Herald Sun:

Taylor Adams (GWS)

The Giants can afford to trade-off a gun midfielder and Adams is looming as the one. Has been the Giants' best onballer over the past fortnight. Richmond, Essendon and Western Bulldogs all big fans in his draft year.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL360 last night made the call that we shold trade Cooney. If we did, what could we realistically get in return?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

neddie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Isn't he passed his best?
    Yes,and we have enough like him on our team at present.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    AFL360 last night made the call that we shold trade Cooney. If we did, what could we realistically get in return?
    If he can keep up his form in the 2nd half of the year and has no knee issues I would think he is worth a pick b/w 10 -15... We need to keep some experience & quality on the list come season's end so I would hope he would stay, but if the carrot is dangled he might jump ship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    From the Herald Sun:

Taylor Adams (GWS)

The Giants can afford to trade-off a gun midfielder and Adams is looming as the one. Has been the Giants' best onballer over the past fortnight. Richmond, Essendon and Western Bulldogs all big fans in his draft year.
    He'd be a great pick up, but not sure I agree GWS would trade him off. Not only is he an ever improving player with a fairly well rounded game, he's very close to a number of the players up there, including Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a realistic call and a realistic pick would be somewhere between 20-30, depening on whether he was a target of a GWS/GC at one end or a preimership contender. The knee and the trade for a lucrative contract would be major sticking point for any team in dealing with us.

He's a restricted free agent as far as i'm aware. We can match his offer from another club, but he can still walk. Regarding Adams, possibly a swap of second round draft picks for Cooney. Being a Brownlow medalist and in his prime (regardless of his knee problem which i don't believe the AFL would take into compensation, we may shoot ourselves in the foot as Mantis says, we'd get a very high DP if there was no player exchange.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    I think this is a realistic call and a realistic pick would be somewhere between 20-30, depening on whether he was a target of a GWS/GC at one end or a preimership contender. The knee and the trade for a lucrative contract would be major sticking point for any team in dealing with us.

He's a restricted free agent as far as i'm aware. We can match his offer from another club, but he can still walk. Regarding Adams, possibly a swap of second round draft picks for Cooney. Being a Brownlow medalist and in his prime (regardless of his knee problem which i don't believe the AFL would take into compensation, we may shoot ourselves in the foot as Mantis says, we'd get a very high DP if there was no player exchange.
    Would you take a punt on 20-30 in the ND? Would we prefer to upgrade our pick like we Did with Lake.

Say CArlton upgrading from pick 20 to pick 10
    Say Sydney upgrading from pick 20 to pick 14
    Say North upgrading from pick 20 to pick 11

Would any of this be realistic in your estimation? Would you then consider an on trade to poach a GWS or GC gun who wants back to Vic??
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Another uninformed suggestion from a media outlet.

Cooney is out of contract and a free agent. We resign and keep him or he goes where he wants. Trade is NOT an option as we have no hold on him.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Cooney is out of contract and a free agent. We resign and keep him or he goes where he wants. Trade is NOT an option as we have no hold on him.
    Forgive my ignorance BJ. But what's to stop Cooney from selecting a new club and demanding that he new club organise a trade. He may want elsewhere, but if he wanted to make sure the WB got compo what would prohibit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive my ignorance BJ. But what's to stop Cooney from selecting a new club and demanding that he new club organise a trade. He may want elsewhere, but if he wanted to make sure the WB got compo what would prohibit it.
    We could just dump him into the draft. If we match an offer he doesn't get a choice of where he plays, he either stays or goes into the draft

Post Thanks / Like

BT, i believe BJ is correct. Lakey was still contracted. Looking them up, none of the RF Agents involved any form of trade.

We'd have to get a late/end of first round pick for Cooney if we don't pick up any other RSA's (based on the Goddard deal)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Trade is certainly an option. If he nominates a club he wants to go to we can facilitate a trade with them on agreeable terms, if they don't offer those terms they can offer him a salary as a restricted free agent and we have the option to match that offer and retain him. If he's not happy with either of those options he can go into the draft and try his luck

Trade is the most likely option if he wants to leave, it's either that or another clubs offers him significant overs and we chose not to match it which is probably unlikely.