Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: End of Season - Trade Targets

Fantastic thinking and it's that kind of use of the system that will take the club forward.

Have we ever signed a genuine star player in the age bracket that'd give us 5-6+ years from another club. I can't think of one in the last 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Fantastic thinking and it's that kind of use of the system that will take the club forward.

Have we ever signed a genuine star player in the age bracket that'd give us 5-6+ years from another club. I can't think of one in the last 20 years.
    Jade Rawlings

Or he was meant to be anyway...
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 17-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Hudson would be the closest - not a star but definately one of the most effective ruckmen of his time. He did have a pull towards the Western Suburbs as well as the Bulldogs being seen as a team on the rise at the time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It is great to take the moral high ground, but we haven't even played in a GF since 1961. Where is the mhg getting us?
    Perhaps trying to keep to the "moral high ground" has not helped us in the premiership stakes. But we can still look at ourselves in the mirror... more than a few teams who should remain nameless.

That being said though, while I may not want to see us lower our standards to those of some other teams, we are in a competition with 17 other teams, and subject to sets of rules and conditions that govern how our environment operates.

Daisy would potentially [ as long as he is physically sound] be a good get for us, and surely it is worth at least testing the water... though I will admit, had he not re-signed with the Collywobbles, Sidebottom would have been my first preference from their lot.

Now re the suggestion that FA should advantage the lower clubs? Sounds nice in theory, but I would not hold my breath waiting for that to occur. 2012 produced one big name FA moving, and look where he went.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Hudson went pretty well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure we can claim the moral high ground after manipulating the system and rail roading Jade Rawlings against his will. If Rawlings was a better player, the 'doing whatever it takes' approach would still be employed by the club. Doing the opposite doesn't wipe away our sins, it just imposes a self imposed punishment and puts us behind every other club. And when you're already behind most other clubs in most areas, it's just another area where we are behind. Maybe it's just the club being defeatist?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Any interest in Polec, Docherty, Longer or Karnezis from the Lions?

Rival clubs circle uncontracted Lion cubs

Post Thanks / Like

Their list management must be awful to have all that young talent coming out of contract all at once

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Any interest in Polec, Docherty, Longer or Karnezis from the Lions?

Rival clubs circle uncontracted Lion cubs
    Why the hell not!

Post Thanks / Like

Big Docherty fan. Line breaking speed, good skills, clean hands and has good intensity.

Not a big Karnezis or Polec fan. Can see us being interested though, both have X factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Aaron Black at Norf is out of contract also.
    Looks an impressive type.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Big Docherty fan. Line breaking speed, good skills, clean hands and has good intensity.

Not a big Karnezis or Polec fan. Can see us being interested though, both have X factor.
    I was surprised The Lions picked Longer considering they had Luenberger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Aaron Black at Norf is out of contract also.
    Looks an impressive type.
    If memory serves me correctly, mjp was keen for us to get him in the draft originally.

Post Thanks / Like

You do realise the players retiring are ones on the veterans list so our salary cap might not be as much free as you think .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    You do realise the players retiring are ones on the veterans list so our salary cap might not be as much free as you think .
    I'd love to know how we are paying close to the same money for
    our list as say Hawthorn or Essendon are for theirs. Hope some of the kids are getting a motsa front loading as I can only see Murph, Griffin and Coons as being worth the very high end dollars. Surely we have a million somewhere tucked away for the right player???? I'd happily pay Gumbleton overs for a 2-year deal (a $600-$650 sort of number) so we can pick up a quality mid in the draft and start climbing.