Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

State of Origin / Exhibition Game

It's been about five years since I went to the G and watched Fevola and the Big V rip the shreds off the all stars. I had a ripping time.

Is it time to do it again, or has this ship passed by with the modern game?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: State of Origin / Exhibition Game

Ships passed.
    Vics murder any opponent anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Ships passed for me too.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm old school ... I love State of Origin footy.
    Playing the games mid-season is probably a thing of the past, but I don't see a reason why it can't be played a couple of weeks after the grand final. To me its a much better exhibition of our game than the Irish roundball international series we current partake.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Ships passed.
    Vics murder any opponent anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Ships passed for me too.
    This^^

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I'm old school ... I love State of Origin footy.
    Playing the games mid-season is probably a thing of the past, but I don't see a reason why it can't be played a couple of weeks after the grand final. To me its a much better exhibition of our game than the Irish roundball international series we current partake.
    The trouble is how do the players stay fit till after the GF if they have finished up at the end of August?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The trouble is how do the players stay fit till after the GF if they have finished up at the end of August?
    The elite players (those that should be chosen to represent their state) will have no problems with this ... those playing international rules play in the off-season and fitness do not have a great concern there.

All during their junior football lives, players strive to be in the elite and represent their state (obviously there is another driving force behind that ... AFL selection). Once they start playing at the ultimate level, state representation is no longer an option.

Rugby league do this so well ... The NSW v Qld rivalry is legendary ... most of us here watch these games. To me, state of origin should not have die with Teddy; it still has a place within our game.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    The elite players (those that should be chosen to represent their state) will have no problems with this ... those playing international rules play in the off-season and fitness do not have a great concern there.

All during their junior football lives, players strive to be in the elite and represent their state (obviously there is another driving force behind that ... AFL selection). Once they start playing at the ultimate level, state representation is no longer an option.

Rugby league do this so well ... The NSW v Qld rivalry is legendary ... most of us here watch these games. To me, state of origin should not have die with Teddy; it still has a place within our game.
    Yes let us "stick it up 'em" again for EJ.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the AFL has moved on, but geez the NRL hs taken the SOO concept and gone fom strength to strength. Go blues!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in Tas, Vic, NSW and QLD. And nothing seems to compare to the NRL state of origin. To their credit they have created a monster. This thing commands the best players and they are all willing to sacrifice themself for their state. Kind of makes the AFL boys look uninspiring faking injuries so not to play the last few SOOs in the AFL.
    Hell there has even been Kiwis relinquishing their own country so they can play the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Blues win tonight, and are cracking VB stubbies in the rooms just 15 minutes after the siren. I can't remember the last time I saw that in the AFL...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Blues win tonight, and are cracking VB stubbies in the rooms just 15 minutes after the siren. I can't remember the last time I saw that in the AFL...
    I'm still shocked by Trent Barretts form. Went to open the VB with his hands thought better, went to open it using his suit jacket and thought better, then decided his teeth was the best option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It happens in the AFL believe me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    I'm still shocked by Trent Barretts form. Went to open the VB with his hands thought better, went to open it using his suit jacket and thought better, then decided his teeth was the best option.
    That made me giggle too. I was reading his face as he was struggling to open it... and I was thinking, "no, no, youre not using your mouth to open it, no, oh come on man".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It happens in the AFL believe me.
    I'm sure you're right BAD. But my point was that Vlad has made sure that stuff happens away from camera. I suppose he has made the game appear 'nicer' to mums...

Post Thanks / Like

The fanfare that goes with the Rugby SOO games really makes me sad we no longer have such games.

I know there are sound reasons why, but wouldn't it be great to see the best 44 players in the competition go head to head? Shame it never looks likely to happen again.