Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: State of Origin / Exhibition Game

Buddha Hocking got mentioned in another thread, and origin was on last night... So...

I remember loving our origin for being allowed to support other teams players under the guise of the Big V. We all loved cheering for Ablett and Lockett, but I think my favourite player to support for that one week, that one game, was Buddha.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I hear what you are saying BT.

I'd be conflicted though - the player I want to support is Chad Wingard but he is a south aussie, whereas Im a Victorian.

I always like supporting Gavin Brown in state games.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I never ever supported anyone in state of origin other than our players. I usually want Vic to win but our players to do well and not get injured.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I'd be conflicted though - the player I want to support is Chad Wingard but he is a south aussie, whereas Im a Victorian.

Imagine a state game with a forward line of Cameron, Patton & Boyd!

Good call of Gav. I think Ang Christou played in Teddy's game, woofing as he kicked it was fun for that game. Then next week I hated Carlton fans for doing the same.

State of Origin is a bit like the wife (or WBFC) sending you down to the strippers. You can be as excited about the other team of skilful bodies on the field, get excited, have a good time, have a beer or two, and after 3 hours then leave still 100% committed to the lifelong commitment (marriage & membership to the WBFC).

I know it's dead, but I think a rep match preseason would make up for now proper Night Series. Time wise it fits with clubs and players, and if you saw the last match Victoria versus The All Stars, high scoring bruise free footy can be enjoyable if the players skills are so good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Too much at stake at clubland for a mickey mouse AFL state of origin match.

That last one against the all stars was all one way footy.

As a concept it's dead and buried and frankly, I'm over the conversation that seems to be raised by the little paper every year.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

As a concept it's dead and buried and frankly, I'm over the conversation that seems to be raised by the little paper every year.
    This ^^^
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

The reason anyone keeps mentioning it is that each year the players association give a questionnaire to their members, the afl players. Each year the players overwhelmingly (I think over 75% ongoing) want a representative match. I think the thinking was a game pre-season as the players need to play some games, and a representative bruise free footy match is not dissimilar to the current NAB Cup types of games. This wouldn't interfere with their mid season breaks either. All the players junior careers 99% downed their state jumpers and formed relationships along those lines.

I wouldn't be unhappy to release our players from a bruise free NAB Cup game to a bruise free State based game before the season. Personally, I enjoyed the real old style Night series and replacement is garbage. A game like this a few weeks out from the start of the season would be a real call to arms to footy fans to get out. The MCG would be full and the clubs should have stands inside and out to sell memberships too.

Post Thanks / Like

No thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thank god it's gone, last thing you need is to lose a player in a exhibition game.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as playing in those state games was an injury risk it also had the ability to be the making of a player. When a player has a good game in a state game they can really get a massive boost in their self belief.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think I want SOO footy back, to be frank. I put Footscray above all others in the world of footy and the only players I am interested in seeing succeed are those in our tricoloured jumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I liked Anthony Stevens too. I think he was under recognised in the comp and the matter with his wife created a cloud around his career.

Post Thanks / Like

With the chat about footy songs etc... Now time has passed, I never liked the song about 'don't let the big V down, not when EJ's around'. I always inferred it's ok to let them down when Teddy passed.

Would love to see a All Australian type skilled rep game like the players want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    With the chat about footy songs etc... Now time has passed, I never liked the song about 'don't let the big V down, not when EJ's around'. I always inferred it's ok to let them down when Teddy passed.

Would love to see a All Australian type skilled rep game like the players want.
    Pick the best 44 players based on average Dream Team / Supercoach Points over the year. 12 best Defenders, 12 best Forwards and 20 best Mids including a couple of rucks. The little paper can promote it under whatever fantasy system they run with. Then make allowances for out of season injuries/surgeries etc and you might get to fork out $25 to go to Etihad in March to see the likes of Bernie Vince, Scott Thompson, Mitch Robinson and others run around and be thankful that these spuds don't play for the Bulldogs.

Not for me.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't think of anything worse than the players running around in a friendly game playing bruise free footy.
    The curse is dead.