Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fitzroys last days - Melbournes de ja vu?

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post

The thought of the Dogs merging with Melbourne has crossed my mind actually.
    Talk about a mixed marriage -- I can't imagine it. From opposite ends of the class and culture spectrum. Man, that would be weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Worse yet, the Melbourne Bulldogs still wouldn't crack 20,000 for most home games. And worse again, the depth at both clubs is that shallow I wouldn't see them cracking a Bisbane style premiership era.

God I never hope that happens. I'd follow Hawthorn in support of my wife. I don't want that!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

And when the cycle turns and the Bulldogs and Melbourne are challenging, Norf and St Kilda will be bottom and they'll be on the media merger agenda.

It's just the same old reactionary media we see these days trying to fill column inches. Written today, forgotten in 6 months, contradicted in 2 years.

2 years ago Norf had to be relocated- They had no money, no players, and management in crisis... They get a dream fixture, stumble into 8th, get a finals flogging, but they're ok now because they're playing finals

Post Thanks / Like

How about Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs merging? At least we'd get Majak back!

Post Thanks / Like

How about Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs merging? At least we'd get Majak back!
    Never
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if this is on the agenda somewhere in the AFL, how can all these small clubs with huge debts and dwindling supporters survive and be competitive i.e. win flags.

Eventually you end up in a Fitzroy (Melbourne?) like spiral plummeting towards your doom.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if this is on the agenda somewhere in the AFL, how can all these small clubs with huge debts and dwindling supporters survive and be competitive i.e. win flags.

Eventually you end up in a Fitzroy (Melbourne?) like spiral plummeting towards your doom.
    With Peter Gordon at the helm, I am confident we won't be on the down wide spiral.

One advantage we have had is we are the club representing the Western Region of Melbourne, one of the fastest growing regions in Australia and with over 500,000 people.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    And when the cycle turns and the Bulldogs and Melbourne are challenging, Norf and St Kilda will be bottom and they'll be on the media merger agenda.

It's just the same old reactionary media we see these days trying to fill column inches. Written today, forgotten in 6 months, contradicted in 2 years.

2 years ago Norf had to be relocated- They had no money, no players, and management in crisis... They get a dream fixture, stumble into 8th, get a finals flogging, but they're ok now because they're playing finals
    I won't put This^^. But I will say here here.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching Melbourne against the Dockers now is dead set the same as when the Roy's were is their dying days. Must be all kinds of agony following them ATM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

90 odd points again.

I wonder what Vlad is going to do. This is hurting the code.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    90 odd points again.

I wonder what Vlad is going to do. This is hurting the code.
    Makes a mockery of The Stan Alves view that the dees are in a better position than us!
    Actually like Stan's views generally

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Makes a mockery of The Stan Alves view that the dees are in a better position than us!
    Actually like Stan's views generally
    I wonder what Stan thinks now....

Just like the Roy boys.

Post Thanks / Like

You know I really don't care. I am only worried about us who have won 8 of the last 24 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I wonder what Stan thinks now....

Just like the Roy boys.
    It's really not. Certainly they are getting beaten severely week after week but Fitzroy lost their champions because they couldn't pay them, had no home or facilities and couldn't get sponsors. They certainly didn't have a league that was invested in keeping them alive. They are in a far better position than Fitzroy on every level.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

How about we merge Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, North, Melbourne, Hawthorn, St Kilda and the Bulldogs into one team, call it the Melbourne Mongrels and never lose another game for the next 50 years.