Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pack your bags McCartney...

I've calmed down since Saturday (just), and vented my spleen. Time to come back to reality. I can't change or influence any direction the club takes onfield. I have to back them 100% in what they do from here on. Not easy, but hey its the Doggies !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lally View Post
    I've calmed down since Saturday (just), and vented my spleen. Time to come back to reality. I can't change or influence any direction the club takes onfield. I have to back them 100% in what they do from here on. Not easy, but hey its the Doggies !!!!!
    I just knew we were going to lose on Saturday so I wasn't has angry, but still very very disappointed that we can be beaten by a younger team that us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Short memories?

The guy who was one dodgy goal umpire away from a flag as coach, who won 2 B&F for us and was a driving force behind changing the culture of the club, who has admitted his errors about how he left the club, supports the Bulldogs as do his kids and would actually provide value to the club if he was employed in official capacity?

Coaches almost never leave on good terms - if he wants to come back and the club can agree to terms, then go for it.
    Would you make him the coach or just a senior assistant?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Williams is cooked as a senior coach. I've mellowed on Wallace for a tactician role, time to forgive and forget. They won't go down that path now as it will look like they don't trust McCartney.
    Bring back Barry Richardson?

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm No.The horse has bolted on the senior assistant Tactician director of Football job.
    It should have been done on day one.

Footscray 1954 Guest

The teams performances under Brendan McCartney have been very disappointing since last June with the exception of the round 1 game against the Lions this year.However i think Macca should be given at least another year to see if he can turn it around.I think our board were wrong to get rid of Rocket.I think Rocket should have been allowed to rebuild the squad and i think if that happened then we would be in better shape right now.We have also failed to replace Brad Johnson and Barry Hall.Our lack of attacking firepower is a serious problem.Hopefully this will be rectified for next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Ummm No.The horse has bolted on the senior assistant Tactician director of Football job.
    It should have been done on day one.
    So why don't we attempt to rectify the mistake? I can't see how having an experienced matchday coach with proven tactical ability in an advisory position would be a negative.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Why would you want Wallace back seriously when he has already walked out on the Club before. Have you forgotten that club leaders in Chris Grant and Luke Darcy made a deputation to David Smorgon at the time that they didn't want him coaching the team in the last game of the season. We have short memories.
    I think enough water has passed under the bridge. Wallace has admitted his mistakes in a joint interview with Smorgon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Would you make him the coach or just a senior assistant?
    I think he's had his chances as a senior coach but as a senior assitant he would provide value.
    Via media work he still seems to have a keen interest in the game and anyone who manages to get a side from 3rd last to a whisker away from a premiership knows how to read the game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to Wallace every day last year on Trade Radio or whatever it was called - he was laughable and his ideas about the relative strengths and value of many players and his assessment of teams left me rolling about on the floor laughing.

I'm happy to bring Terry back into the fold as a great Bulldogs person from the past but his judgement of players and a teams' strengths and weaknesses was very flawed at Richmond and appears to be even more out of touch now. Keep him well away from anything to do with football.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    I listened to Wallace every day last year on Trade Radio or whatever it was called - he was laughable and his ideas about the relative strengths and value of many players and his assessment of teams left me rolling about on the floor laughing.

I'm happy to bring Terry back into the fold as a great Bulldogs person from the past but his judgement of players and a teams' strengths and weaknesses was very flawed at Richmond and appears to be even more out of touch now. Keep him well away from anything to do with football.
    agreed - Terry is a life member I believe, but not required in the footy department.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's had his chances as a senior coach but as a senior assitant he would provide value.
    Via media work he still seems to have a keen interest in the game and anyone who manages to get a side from 3rd last to a whisker away from a premiership knows how to read the game.
    I hate to harp on it, but why when it comes to the question of senior coaching has he 'had his chances', but not as a senior assistant?

I'm having trouble understanding this wise old man in the corner thing TBH.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    I hate to harp on it, but why when it comes to the question of senior coaching has he 'had his chances', but not as a senior assistant?

I'm having trouble understanding this wise old man in the corner thing TBH.
    Put simply: being a head coach is a far more demanding job than being an assistant.
    Thompson stood down from head coach for that very reason.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Put simply: being a head coach is a far more demanding job than being an assistant.
    Thompson stood down from head coach for that very reason.
    OK, so are Eade, Craig, Thompson, Harvey, Williams & Primus all looking for a less demanding role? Or are they not seen as the best man for the job?

This all started with Malthouse mentoring Buckley in a transition arrangement, which I could understand, but a permanent master & apprentice scenario? I dunno.

You also didn't explain why Terry deserves another chance as a senior assistant but not as a senior coach.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I am simply not sure on how this coach and senior tactician thing would work. With some guys it seems to work, EG Thompson and Hird. But gee the coach would really need to get on with his advisor personally, and not feel at all threatened by his presence. It could so easily make the coach feel there is a shadow hanging over him coming from a vulture in the wings, whether that was true or not.

As for who, should we choose if we were to go down that track???

I was told by someone whose knowledge I respect, that where ever he has been, Williams simply got too many people off side, and is seriously abrasive and disruptive. Though I have no personal knowledge if this is true or not.

If the club were to go down this track, then it would need to be only with BMac's complete acceptance, otherwise it could be a disaster waiting to happen. Then I can think of only a few options off the top of my head.

I have the utmost respect for Roos, but doubt he would easily be tempted. Thompson, if you could lever him out of Windy Hill... I presume BMac would not feel threatened or intimidated there as they are friends, and Thompson sounds as if he has no ambition to return to a senior coaching role anyway.

Then perhaps one out of left field...Ayres. A few years back I would not have suggested his name. But having watched what he does, and has done with Port Melbourne, it has been quite remarkable. The players clearly respond to him, and he has managed to make, and keep a stand alone team highly successful in the VFL, while all the odds would seem stacked against them.
    Tactically he definitely moves his game plan quickly to meet the situations in the game as they arise. And he seems a lot calmer and is more experienced than he was in his time at AFL level.