Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21
Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pack your bags McCartney...

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Believe me, I'm very, very tempted after tonight.
    I think it is unedifying for some posters (moderators no less) to gloat and criticise those asking pertinent questions following a run of 18 losses in 19 matches. The title of this thread is poor but as BMac himself noted yesterday, asking questions following such a barren run is actually a healthy thing for our club.

Over the past 12 months, I've been wanting to see BMac influence proceedings from the box during game day and have been disappointed in this aspect of BMac's tenure thus far. But to his eternal credit, BMac genuinely impacted the flow of the contest from the coaches box yesterday and was a big factor in stemming the St Kilda momentum on a couple of occasions with a number of key positional changes. He also got the players to run and carry far more, with yesterday's run and dare a welcome contrast to our static and predictable ball movement for most of the last 12 months.

I thoroughly enjoyed the way we played and the way we were coached yesterday, and I sure as hell enjoyed the end result against those filthy maggots - that was a long time coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Mate, this is just wrong.

2008, 2009, and 2010, we were second highest each year in contested possessions.

The Saints in those same years were 5th, 3rd and 4th. Its a bloody myth that we weren't good at CP under Eade.
    Hmm, we definitely struggled in that area when we played the Saints.

Little separates these teams in raw ball-winning stats. In total disposals, the Western Bulldogs rank second and the Saints fourth; in contested ball the Bulldogs rank third and the Saints rank fourth, and in kicking efficiency they are ranked first and second respectively. But for form against each other you have to look deeper. As the Collingwood coach said last week: "We did not get our hands on the ball." That has been the case both times these teams have played this year, a difference of 82 and 73 possessions St Kilda's way, with the Saints easily winning the contested ball. Quite simply, the Saints have denied the Bulldogs time in possession, and have not got involved in an up-tempo style of game
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews...519682664.html
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I think it is unedifying for some posters (moderators no less) to gloat and criticise those asking pertinent questions following a run of 18 losses in 19 matches. The title of this thread is poor but as BMac himself noted yesterday, asking questions following such a barren run is actually a healthy thing for our club.

Over the past 12 months, I've been wanting to see BMac influence proceedings from the box during game day and have been disappointed in this aspect of BMac's tenure thus far. But to his eternal credit, BMac genuinely impacted the flow of the contest from the coaches box yesterday and was a big factor in stemming the St Kilda momentum on a couple of occasions with a number of key positional changes. He also got the players to run and carry far more, with yesterday's run and dare a welcome contrast to our static and predictable ball movement for most of the last 12 months.

I thoroughly enjoyed the way we played and the way we were coached yesterday, and I sure as hell enjoyed the end result against those filthy maggots - that was a long time coming.
    You are hyper-sensitive if you think that those who support McCartney are gloating! It's been pretty tough for 18 months for those who support the coach and we and the coach have had plenty of moments when the criticism has stung. Harden up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    You are hyper-sensitive if you think that those who support McCartney are gloating! It's been pretty tough for 18 months for those who support the coach and we and the coach have had plenty of moments when the criticism has stung. Harden up.
    Sigh.

The questions over the past 12 months of inept perfomances and the media focus on us this week was warranted, and the accolades for our coach and players have been just as warranted after yesterday's terrific performance. We all ultimately share the same passion and goal for our club. I want BMac to be as much of a success as you do, so more of yesterday's daring run & carry, and more continued positive impact from the coaches box please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post

If you are going to bring the 2009 prelim up, we won the CP, even on the clearances, both around the ground and in the centre and we won the tackles and had 22 more disposals. In a 7 point ball game it was even pretty much every where.

I will say against the Saints in other matches, they did what you said.

You said under Eade we weren't good at CP, but the stats say otherwise. LW can talk about being out muscled around stoppages, but that's not we are talking about here.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh.

The questions over the past 12 months of inept perfomances and the media focus on us this week was warranted, and the accolades for our coach and players have been just as warranted after yesterday's terrific performance. We all ultimately share the same passion and goal for our club. I want BMac to be as much of a success as you do, so more of yesterday's daring run & carry, and more continued positive impact from the coaches box please.
    No need for you to have a crack at other posters though! If you dish it out, don't be surprised or miffed if someone else pushes back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you are going to bring the 2009 prelim up, we won the CP, even on the clearances, both around the ground and in the centre and we won the tackles and had 22 more disposals. In a 7 point ball game it was even pretty much every where.

I will say against the Saints in other matches, they did what you said.

You said under Eade we weren't good at CP, but the stats say otherwise. LW can talk about being out muscled around stoppages, but that's not we are talking about here.
    More pertinent in those years was our inability to execute on top of winning the contested ball under the pressure the best teams in the competition placed on us.

You couple a slight disadvantage in talent compared to Geelong in those years across the ground, and a disadvantage against the Saints top end talent and we were left a little short because we couldn't finish off the limited opportunities presented to us, whereas their players could.

There wasn't ever a great deal in it, and I reckon if we had have come out firing in the 2009 qualifying final and taken that game as we should have we'd have had a significant belief going into the last two weeks of 2009.

The qualifying finals of 2008 and 2009 will always be very disappointing and borderline shameful performances for me. We just couldn't face each game mentally.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to check with GVGjr and Twodogs, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't asked to hand in my sense of humour when I was asked to be a moderator.

When Bmac has had a good game in the box after a self confessed bad game last week I reserve the right to have a bit of fun in a thread like this.

I could have closed this thread days ago if I'd wanted to, as could any of the other moderators, but as I said in another thread, its a discussion forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'll have to check with GVGjr and Twodogs, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't asked to hand in my sense of humour when I was asked to be a moderator.
    When Bmac has had a good game in the box after a self confessed bad game last week I reserve the right to have a bit of fun in a thread like this.

I could have closed this thread days ago if I'd wanted to, as could any of the other moderators, but as I said in another thread, its a discussion forum.
    I can just imagine the initiation ceremony:

Twodogs - Hand in your sense of humour Westog54, if you want to be a moderator, you're going to have to get by without it.

Westdog54 - Takes his sense of humour from its holster, disarms it and places it on the desk.

GVGjr - And the other one.........

Westdog54 - Lifts his left leg and rests his foot on his knee, pulls down his sock and hands in the sense of humour he'd concealed there for use in tricky situations.

I'll let myself out, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Twodogs - Hand in your sense of humour Westog54, if you want to be a moderator, you're going to have to get by without it.

Westdog54 - Takes his sense of humour from its holster, disarms it and places it on the desk.

Westdog54 - Lifts his left leg and rests his foot on his knee, pulls down his sock and hands in the sense of humour he'd concealed there for use in tricky situations.

Reading that gave me the best laugh I've had in a while. Many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the veal like?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    What's the veal like?
    Que? Godfather?

Post Thanks / Like

Bahahaha !!!

As EasternWest intimated "try the beef, I'm here 'til Thursday !!"
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

The Cowshed may have pulled the trigger too early, but things are going from bad to worse with regard to BMac. Just thought I would give it a bump to see how WOOFERs patience is going.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I should clarify, this is a conversation starter rather than an opinion post.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023