Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pack your bags McCartney...

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Fair dinkum...

P Rhode - came from Melbourne's losing culture
    Oversaw recruitment of P Street, A Morgan, S Koops, J Rawlins...and L Veale
    Oversaw loss of one of our best players in N Brown while at his peak
    Trade picks that netted H Scotland, D Mundy...
    Oversaw no performance when R Murphy, L Gilbee, B Johnson, S Giansiracusa were peaking and R Smith, C Grant, S West were playing...

B McCartney
    Widely regarded by respected AFL figures as not just a good coach but a great coach.
    Comes from a high performance culture at the most successful team in the modern era
    Oversaw departure of J Sherman, N Djerkurra, and a bunch of spuds that haven't kicked on
    Traded Lake at the end of his career for effectively Hrovat
    Has inherited an absolute trainwreck of a list.
    Part of recruitment of two of our most promising juniors in years
    Has overseen one of the biggest improvements in an AFL player I have seen (Minson)

You really think McCartney is the same as Rhode....???? REALLY????
    Thats all reads well in McCartney's favour, but rightly or wrongly coaches get rated on one thing... The W/L column.

Rohde - 45 games coached - 9 wins - 1 draw - 35 losses - 21.1%

McCartney - 30 games coached - 6 wins - 24 losses - 20%

You were saying?

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have a very weak and unbalanced list.
    Before the season started I penciled us in for the wooden spoon below Gold Coast and GWS.

I just can't blame McCartney for our current plight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Thats all reads well in McCartney's favour, but rightly or wrongly coaches get rated on one thing... The W/L column.

Rohde - 45 games coached - 9 wins - 1 draw - 35 losses - 21.1%

McCartney - 30 games coached - 6 wins - 24 losses - 20%

You were saying?
    I back most people in to be more rational than simply looking at win loss. Hate to say it but the two best coaches in the game (in my view) talk about process and win loss doesn't really matter (Malthouse and Lyon).

Secondly if Geelong had knee jerked and sacked Thompson based on win loss who knows if they would have had the success they did.

Conversely many Essendon supporters I know believe Sheedy cost Essendon at least one and maybe two flags due to his poor performance in the late nineties and early noughties, yet his win loss in that period was fantastic.

I give you and many here more credit than simply looking at win loss. Leave that for the Damian Barrett's of the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I think we have a very weak and unbalanced list.
    Before the season started I penciled us in for the wooden spoon below Gold Coast and GWS.

I just can't blame McCartney for our current plight.
    Well said. I had us second bottom. Looking more like third bottom. This year I am looking for incremental improvement, and I am seeing it mostly, despite the losses.

Post Thanks / Like

I back most people in to be more rational than simply looking at win loss. Hate to say it but the two best coaches in the game (in my view) talk about process and win loss doesn't really matter (Malthouse and Lyon).

Secondly if Geelong had knee jerked and sacked Thompson based on win loss who knows if they would have had the success they did.

Conversely many Essendon supporters I know believe Sheedy cost Essendon at least one and maybe two flags due to his poor performance in the late nineties and early noughties, yet his win loss in that period was fantastic.

I give you and many here more credit than simply looking at win loss. Leave that for the Damian Barrett's of the world.
    One big difference, Malthouse, Lyon and Thompson know how to coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One big difference, Malthouse, Lyon and Thompson know how to coach.
    You didn't want Malthouse to come back to us did you?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You didn't want Malthouse to come back to us did you?
    Not sure your point here?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard this argument ad nauseum to explain/justify our current situation. Show me the period where Bomber Thompson won 1 game in 19, or Clarko for that matter (another one used repeatedly as an example). Thompson almost lost his job after a 10 win season.

I don't think anybody on here would begrudge a 5-7 win season whilst in rebuild mode, but the virtual equivalent of a 1 win season block of results is unacceptable on every conceivable measure. The sad thing is that we haven't even been close in any of those losses - no heartbreaking last minute losses, we've been outplayed by everyone we have come up against (except for a holidaying Brisbane in Round 1).

Post Thanks / Like

No point in getting rid of him now.

Should be given until the end of the year and if there isn't noticeable improvement, we need to head hunt an established coach such as Roos.

My concern is whether things will get worse. Murphy, Boyd, Gia, Cross and Morris all have 0-2 years left and despite their varying performances, are still basically carrying this side.

I worry we'll emulate Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
    Peter Rhode mark 2
    Your're having a lend surely?
    Rhodes list was a hell of a lot better than Mccartneys got!
    Can some posters take their B/S back to Big Footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No point in getting rid of him now.

Should be given until the end of the year and if there isn't noticeable improvement, we need to head hunt an established coach such as Roos.

My concern is whether things will get worse. Murphy, Boyd, Gia, Cross and Morris all have 0-2 years left and despite their varying performances, are still basically carrying this side.

I worry we'll emulate Melbourne.
    Didn't see Macrae today? Minsons been good.
    Boyd's been average at best. As has Cross.
    Morris and Murphy are going to be hard to replace but the others aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Didn't see Macrae today? Minsons been good.
    Boyd's been average at best. As has Cross.
    Morris and Murphy are going to be hard to replace but the others aren't.
    Haven't watched the game, but even though Macrae/Stringer look good, we need a lot more than that.

I think Minson has been very good, still has a few years left so I didn't include him in that above group.

It's not so much that they are "hard to replace" -- that implies they are still very good players having big impacts. They aren't -- what I mean is that they are (at this stage) more proven/capable than our raw kids so the worst (short term pain, if you can call it that) could be yet to come when they retire in the next 0-24 months.

Hope I'm making some sort of sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae seems like one of our few players that will move the ball to a player that has space, I saw him a couple of times under the punp and could have easily gave off the 2 metre handball but used the 6 metre option to create space.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Did Macrae have one bad possession? what I saw of him was amazing, his time and delivery were exceptional.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm away so didn't see the game but was very disappointed to see we lost by 5 goals. The pressure on the coaches must increase as that is the nature of this industry where short term results have such a high premium placed on them.

I think it would be an amateur, reactionary and short sighted decision to move the coach on now, but we simply have to see continued improvement for the balance of the year. The positives with the younger guys is there, but we need to start translating that to a better TEAM performance. We need to be smarter and more efficient. We need to fast track Hrovat, Hunter and Prudden into the senior side, we also need to get games into Talia and Roberts quickly.

Footy is a funny game, we seem miles off at the moment but things can click and change quickly.