Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 9 - Other Matches

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I said we shouldn't put up with this sort of thing in society, surely you agree with that. If it was my daughter I would be totally embarrassed and would take the blame.
    Who cares how old she is, she should know better. We can't put up with this sort of behaviour in society. What sort of parents has she got and how the hell did they bring her up.
    You called her parenting into question, and queried her upbringing, off the back of what appears to be an ill-considered comment - by a child.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    You called her parenting into question, and queried her upbringing, off the back of what appears to be an ill-considered comment - by a child.
    I stand by what I said
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Who was this 13yo girl sitting with at a Friday night football game? From what I have seen, she was sitting by herself well at least no one else walked out with her.
    I don't blame the girl for what she said but I'd certainly question the role models in her life for not teaching her the right from wrong.
    If those role models happen to be her parents then I'd be asking them what they have done to educate the girl concerned.

I think BAD's comments actually have some merit. This is not just an error because of youth, this is an error about education and respect.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I stand by what I said
    Me too.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Who was this 13yo girl sitting with at a Friday night football game? From what I have seen, she was sitting by herself well at least no one else walked out with her.
    I don't blame the girl for what she said but I'd certainly question the role models in her life for not teaching her the right from wrong.
    If those role models happen to be her parents then I'd be asking them what they have done to educate the girl concerned.

I think BAD's comments actually have some merit. This is not just an error because of youth, this is an error about education and respect.
    I disagree. We know nothing of this girl, her parents or her home life. We can't possibly make judgments such as you're suggesting in light of ONE incident.

Post Thanks / Like

She's 13.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. We know nothing of this girl, her parents or her home life. We can't possibly make judgments such as you're suggesting in light of ONE incident.
    Have a read of what I have written. I have certainly made allowances for who her role models might be.

The comments she made is because someone hasn't educated her on how she should conduct herself. I don't blame her for the comments but she has missed a vital piece of eduction about life along the way. I'm assuming that someone has been charged to set her on the right course but one way or the other she is overdue for a frank and honest discussion about treating others with respect.

Post Thanks / Like

At the risk of getting myself in his debate, by 13 my parents had taught me right from wrong and that racism was wrong. So I think it is only fair to question parenting. It's only a question, not hanging them or publicly embarrassing them the way Goodes was publicly embarrassed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

She's 13.
    So in your opinion at what age should someone be given advice and education about treating people with respect? I think if she is capable of going to the footy with minimal supervision then she is long overdue for a chat about respect and how to express herself.

She simply hasn't learned any better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    At the risk of getting myself in his debate, by 13 my parents had taught me right from wrong and that racism was wrong. So I think it is only fair to question parenting. It's only a question, not hanging them or publicly embarrassing them the way Goodes was publicly embarrassed.
    This from Eddie:

"We will find out what the hell has gone on," he said. "They are saying it is a 14-year-old girl or whatever. I don't care. We will go and see her parents. We are not going to stand for this.
    "We are not going to have this rubbish. Some young girl has gone and said something stupid. Bad luck. We are not making excuses people made excuses for too long about this. There is no generation gap for idiots.
    This from Goodes:

Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes said he was ‘‘gutted’’ when a young fan called him an ‘‘ape’’ in the dying minutes of his club’s win over Collingwood on Friday night.
    "It’s not her fault, she’s 13, she’s still so innocent I don’t put any blame on her but that’s the environment she’s grown up in,’’ Goodes told reporters on Saturday morning.
    Goodes said he had been the victim of racist abuse in the past, but was more affected by this comment, coming in the opening game of the AFL’s Indigenous Round.

Adam Goodes of the Sydney Swans and AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou after speaking to the media during an AFL press conference. Photo: Getty
    "It cut me deep, it affected me so much I couldn’t be on the ground to celebrate the victory in the Indigenous Round,’’ he said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I agree.

By the age of 10 I got into a few fist fights with school mates because they used to tease a neighborhood girl because she was different. I was told to stick up for her and I duly did.

To this day, I still can't stand the way people use the words spastic or retarded because it disrespects people and shows that people haven't learned a lot about respect.

I don't think anyone is too young to learn the right things.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there would as much sympathy if it was a 13 year old boy.

Either way she has apologised now so time to move on.

Post Thanks / Like

So in your opinion at what age should someone be given advice and education about treating people with respect? I think if she is capable of going to the footy with minimal supervision then she is long overdue for a chat about respect and how to express herself.

She simply hasn't learned any better.
    From day one really...my point was, she's a kid who made a blue. This whole thing has been way overdone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I wonder if there would as much sympathy if it was a 13 year old boy.

Either way she has apologised now so time to move on.
    Exactly right.

Post Thanks / Like

Go Suns!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023